People have been talking non stop about how well Yan Martini Del Potro will go at the 2010 French Open since he took Roger Federer to 5 sets in the 2009 semi final.
I however do not think he will do well here for a number of reasons;
1. Roland Garros needs imense physical fitness to win (and he is going to have numerous 5 setters if hes to win this thing with Djokervitch, Federer or Nadal to go through. Federer had a pot gut during last years tournament but he has natural stamina and only needed a straight sets final. Also, if he can't get momentum in the lead up tournaments he wont do well here.
2. He may very well get injured during or prior to the tournament.
3. He is suceptable to going out early, Djokerbitch had a hell of a clay season last year and went out to BowlScribller.
4. Del pot has not proved he has a great clay game. The semi last year could have been a fluke.
5. Soderling would have his number here, as would Davywanko.
6. Argintines don't do very well at Roland Garros.
7. He is unfit and fat as I have already stated.
What does everyone else think? I predict a 3rd,4th round or Quarter final for him.
This is a very important thread as far as history is concerned. Federer is the only one Del Potro could probably beat here. Against Nadall in a 5 setter he has little chance, Soderling would blast him off the court and wants revenge for 2009 TMC which he SHOULD HAVE beaten Del Potro. Djokerbitch would have his number at RG I think too.
You must be kidding... Argentines don't do well at RG???????? Two years before Nadal won his first RG (on 2003), Coria reached the semis...
The last year before Nadal began his winning streak, there were 3 Argentines in the SFs, two of them reached the final, and (obviously) one of them became the champion (Gaudio) on 2004.
On the following year, when Nadal won his first RG, do you know who he beated on the final? YES! That's right! You won the jackpot!!! AN ARGENTINE!!! (Puerta)
On the next year, when Federer reached his first RG final, do you know who he beated on the semis???? (Should I really help you with this one?)... an Argentine.... (Nalbandian) (2006)
Del Potro reached the semis last year (2009)... maybe he isn't an Argentine
Anyways, probably Hewitt will do better than Del Potro this year... mmm... naaaaaaaaaaaaahhh
BTW, you didn't include "CHAMPION" in the poll...