Interesting AO 2010 stat - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Bern, NC
Age: 34
Posts: 133
                     
Interesting AO 2010 stat

Federer has made it to another final (nothing new there) despite the fact that he is not even in the top 10 for Aces in the tournament. Now also think on the fact that he has as the least played more matches than anyone not named Cilic, Murray, or Tsonga to reach an ace number. So that's pretty amazing that even without many per se 'free points' on serve, that he has still won with such regularity.

For instance and just for comparison; We see the same doesn't translate to the womens game, at least for this tournament. As we see that the tournament winner had more than double the Aces of anyone else in the tournament. As aces leader Serena had 65, to ace runner-up Petrova's 29. Even tournament runner-up Henin was 3rd in aces, with all her troubles on serve.
Preston is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
Federer has made it to another final (nothing new there) despite the fact that he is not even in the top 10 for Aces in the tournament. Now also think on the fact that he has as the least played more matches than anyone not named Cilic, Murray, or Tsonga to reach an ace number. So that's pretty amazing that even without many per se 'free points' on serve, that he has still won with such regularity.

For instance and just for comparison; We see the same doesn't translate to the womens game, at least for this tournament. As we see that the tournament winner had more than double the Aces of anyone else in the tournament. As aces leader Serena had 65, to ace runner-up Petrova's 29. Even tournament runner-up Henin was 3rd in aces, with all her troubles on serve.
It's not always the case with the women's game unless it's Serena or Venus winning the tournament.

As for Federer, his serve hasn't been good at all this year and he's not getting very many free points which, if he doesn't turn things around, will hurt him against Murray. Unlike last year, he doesnt hit the one up the T on the AD side this year, a serve which was probably his most effective over the past two seasons. I cannot remember the last time Federer was in the final of a tournament and wasn't in the top 5 or so in aces.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,122
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

I think the low number of aces of Federer is for a large part due to the short matches (easy wins) and low total match-time. There have been GS´s where Federer was #1 in aces.


TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)
TankingTheSet is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Mammoths
 
Omnipotence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,710
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
It's not always the case with the women's game unless it's Serena or Venus winning the tournament.

As for Federer, his serve hasn't been good at all this year and he's not getting very many free points which, if he doesn't turn things around, will hurt him against Murray. Unlike last year, he doesnt hit the one up the T on the AD side this year, a serve which was probably his most effective over the past two seasons. I cannot remember the last time Federer was in the final of a tournament and wasn't in the top 5 or so in aces.
Yeah, I was pretty much thinking this earlier.

I wonder what gives...
Omnipotence is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Bern, NC
Age: 34
Posts: 133
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankingTheSet View Post
I think the low number of aces of Federer is for a large part due to the short matches (easy wins) and low total match-time. There have been GS´s where Federer was #1 in aces.
I know. In fact I honestly can't remember the last time I checked the Ace statistics in the later rounds of a Major and NOT seen Federer near the top. He has been one of the better servers on tour for a number of seasons now. So that's why I found it interesting that he isn't even in the top 10 [aces] this tourney.
Preston is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered User
 
superslam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: out of this world
Posts: 6,488
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
I know. In fact I honestly can't remember the last time I checked the Ace statistics in the later rounds of a Major and NOT seen Federer near the top. He has been one of the better servers on tour for a number of seasons now. So that's why I found it interesting that he isn't even in the top 10 [aces] this tourney.
Too many "only serve" players going 5 sets while Fed has played very well. No surprise to me that Karlovic and Roddick win this a lot.

justin bieber is not the best in history.
funk was better than rap.
techno not better than classic rock.

numbers are not everything.

Last edited by superslam77; 01-30-2010 at 10:20 PM.
superslam77 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Registered User
 
superslam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: out of this world
Posts: 6,488
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

I could add this stat doesn't tell about free service points that are not aces. (or the easy points it sets up)

justin bieber is not the best in history.
funk was better than rap.
techno not better than classic rock.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Registered User
 
superslam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: out of this world
Posts: 6,488
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

hmmmmmm.


RG
1 R.Federer - 83
2 F.Gonzalez - 65
3 J.Del Potro - 59
4 I.Karlovic - 55
5 R.Soderling - 54
6 T.Haas - 49
7 F.Lopez - 47
8 G.Monfils - 45
9 J.Chardy - 40
9 R.Kendrick - 40
11 A.Roddick - 37
11 D.Istomin - 37
11 A.Murray - 37
14 E.Gulbis - 36
15 J.Tipsarevic - 33
16 J.Tsonga - 32
17 N.Kiefer - 31
17 N.Almagro - 31
19 M.Gicquel - 29
20 G.Simon - 27

WB
1. A.Roddick - 187
2. I.Karlovic - 160
3. R.Federer - 127
4. A.Murray - 98
5. N.Almagro - 81
6. R.Soderling - 78
7. L.Hewitt - 69
8. T.Haas - 60
9. N.Djokovic - 59
10. F.Verdasco - 58



USO
1 R.Federer SUI 7 87
2 J.Del Potro ARG 7 82
3 J.Isner USA 4 80
4 F.Gonzalez CHI 5 72
5 R.Soderling SWE 5 62
6 F.Verdasco ESP 5 51
7 G.Monfils FRA 4 49
8 A.Roddick USA 3 46
9 M.Cilic CRO 5 45
10 T.Haas GER 3 43
10 S.Querrey USA 3 43
12 J.Tsonga FRA 4 42
13 N.Djokovic SRB 6 41
14 T.Dent USA 3 40
15 N.Almagro ESP 3 39
16 A.Murray GBR 4 38
17 J.Blake USA 3 34
18 R.Stepanek CZE 4 33
19 T.Robredo ESP 4 31
19 P.Petzschner GER 2 31

justin bieber is not the best in history.
funk was better than rap.
techno not better than classic rock.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Bern, NC
Age: 34
Posts: 133
                     
Re: Interesting AO 2010 stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslam77 View Post
hmmmmmm.


RG
1 R.Federer - 83
2 F.Gonzalez - 65
3 J.Del Potro - 59
4 ......

WB
1. A.Roddick - 187
2. I.Karlovic - 160
3. R.Federer - 127
4. ......


USO
1 R.Federer SUI 7 87
2 J.Del Potro ARG 7 82
3 J.Isner USA 4 80
4 ......
Sorry SS77, I just wanted to save space. Great find that adds more substance to this thread by the way. Anyway I assume those are the ace numbers for the last 3 Majors. And see; It had not been the same case for the player (Federer) who at least made the Final to not also hold nearly the best ace statistics in the tourney too. This [AO] truly adds even greater validity to his all court game. I mean he's making it look easy only dropping 2 sets thus far.
Preston is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome