I question Murray's conditioning... - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 2,485
                     
I question Murray's conditioning...

Seems to me that if this match goes 5 sets and over 3 1/2 hours, Murray is going to run out of gas. Seems like in a lot of his matches that went the distance after like 3 to 3 1/2 hours he had nothing left. Whereas in best 3 of 5 set matches, Rogie is conditioned to go at least 4 to 4 1/2 hours. I'll take Rogie's physical condition over Murray's in a best 3 of 5 set match.

Thoughts?
theseth1119 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 250
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

Federers the fittest player on tour believe me, after these long rallies he doesen't even pant or anything even Nadal has to pant sometimes but Federer isn't phased.
LEGENDOFTENNIS is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
fsoica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,316
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

roger will not go over 3 and a half hours...

he will either win it, or lose it the fast way...

Q. Do you think you would have been able to play as well as you played today, or you think you would have pulled out from the game if it wasn't the Masters Cup final?

ROGER FEDERER: No, Roger Federer doesn't pull out. Otherwise he doesn't walk on court (smiling).


After losing to Nalbandian in 2005 TMC final...
fsoica is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseth1119 View Post
Seems to me that if this match goes 5 sets and over 3 1/2 hours, Murray is going to run out of gas. Seems like in a lot of his matches that went the distance after like 3 to 3 1/2 hours he had nothing left. Whereas in best 3 of 5 set matches, Rogie is conditioned to go at least 4 to 4 1/2 hours. I'll take Rogie's physical condition over Murray's in a best 3 of 5 set match.

Thoughts?
Which ones might those be?
scoobs is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered User
 
decrepitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 74
Posts: 3,147
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

I think he's going back to Andy just turned 18 at Wimby against Nalbandian. . .

.

Following ANDY MURRAY and all British tennis on http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/stats.html
(click on GB Tennis Forum)
decrepitude is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered User
 
Xenosys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 33
Posts: 953
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

I think they're both fit as fiddles. Federer's elegant movement around the court allows him to conserve as much energy as possible, and though Murray doesn't move with the same level of balletic genius, if anything, he may just be the fittest of them all.
Xenosys is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

Murray is 9-5 in 5 set matches.

The 5 he lost:

2005 Wimbledon R3 vs Nalbandian
2005 US Open R2 vs Clement
2006 Roland Garros R1 vs Monfils
2007 Australian Open R4 vs Nadal
2009 Australian Open R4 vs Verdasco.

Wondering which ones are pertinent here....Verdasco at a pinch (which was only just over 3 hours anyway) but the others...really?
scoobs is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

Given that both these guys have spent the least time on court compared to their rivals at each stage in the tournament, and that both have made smooth progress through to this final, I don't see physical stamina being the thing that ends up separating them.

I'd be quite surprised if fitness became the issue here.
scoobs is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Registered User
 
Noleta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Love Carpet
Posts: 40,645
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenosys View Post
I think they're both fit as fiddles. Federer's elegant movement around the court allows him to conserve as much energy as possible, and though Murray doesn't move with the same level of balletic genius, if anything, he may just be the fittest of them all.
+1.Andy's game is all about running down every shot.

Ssshhh..........
Noleta is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 311
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Murray is 9-5 in 5 set matches.

The 5 he lost:

2005 Wimbledon R3 vs Nalbandian
2005 US Open R2 vs Clement
2006 Roland Garros R1 vs Monfils
2007 Australian Open R4 vs Nadal
2009 Australian Open R4 vs Verdasco.

Wondering which ones are pertinent here....Verdasco at a pinch (which was only just over 3 hours anyway) but the others...really?
The only one that's relevant to his present conditioning is Verdasco and I don't think fitness had much to do with that loss. Verdasco played brilliantly in the final two sets of that match.
blank_frackis is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered User
 
PiggyGotRoasted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 2,682
                     
Re: I question Murray's conditioning...

I question your sanity
PiggyGotRoasted is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome