Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,270
                     
Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

So this is a very interesting thing that is going on among these 3 guys. Brad seems to hate Roger for some reason. He always picks against him. He picked Murray to beat him in 4 in US Open 08, and the same prediction but in 5 sets today. I know Roger doesn't exactly like Murray. So either Brad is hoping for a 2nd stint with Murray or he hating Roger hating Murray. Brad Gilbert almost couldn't control himself today on TV. He was almost hysterical jumping over that lady's lines and giving checks to Murray all over the place. What gives? Discuss

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
So this is a very interesting thing that is going on among these 3 guys. Brad seems to hate Roger for some reason. He always picks against him. He picked Murray to beat him in 4 in US Open 08, and the same prediction but in 5 sets today. I know Roger doesn't exactly like Murray. So either Brad is hoping for a 2nd stint with Murray or he hating Roger hating Murray. Brad Gilbert almost couldn't control himself today on TV. He was almost hysterical jumping over that lady's lines and giving checks to Murray all over the place. What gives? Discuss
I do find it odd sometimes how Brad epically fanboys Andy, given how volatile their relationship was as coach/player and the acrimonious and almost disrespectful way in which they split.
scoobs is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,270
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I do find it odd sometimes how Brad epically fanboys Andy, given how volatile their relationship was as coach/player and the acrimonious and almost disrespectful way in which they split.
Do we even know what really happened between the two? I heard Andy got rid of him as he was too annoying. Some said Andy had to get rid of him to go his own way. I dislike Brad a lot. He seems to hate anyone who wins without real struggle. But if you are grinding it out and winning each match after 5 hours, you are Brad's hero?

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
Do we even know what really happened between the two? I heard Andy got rid of him as he was too annoying. Some said Andy had to get rid of him to go his own way. I dislike Brad a lot. He seems to hate anyone who wins without real struggle. But if you are grinding it out and winning each match after 5 hours, you are Brad's hero?
What happened, from what we can tell, from what Andy had ghostwritten for him in his book, was that spending too much time in close quarters with just him and Brad was too overpowering a personality. Andy also felt that Brad just didn't get him as a player, always demanding he play more aggressively even when Andy felt the right tactics were to be more consistent. I think the wrist injury he suffered in Hamburg in 07 when Brad told him to play on and didn't seem to realise how serious it was, caused quite a major breach.

They didn't seem to communicate well either - Andy wrote that sometimes after tournaments when Andy had lost, he'd find a note under his hotel room door from Brad about what he thought, and Brad would already be on a flight to somewhere else.

I think there was just a generation gap and clash of strong personalities, but the terse and disdainful way Murray ended the relationship, not even speaking to Brad personally, and the very pointedly unenthusiastic statement Andy's team put out to the press with the announcement was not well handled at all.
scoobs is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,270
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
What happened, from what we can tell, from what Andy had ghostwritten for him in his book, was that spending too much time in close quarters with just him and Brad was too overpowering a personality. Andy also felt that Brad just didn't get him as a player, always demanding he play more aggressively even when Andy felt the right tactics were to be more consistent. I think the wrist injury he suffered in Hamburg in 07 when Brad told him to play on and didn't seem to realise how serious it was, caused quite a major breach.

They didn't seem to communicate well either - Andy wrote that sometimes after tournaments when Andy had lost, he'd find a note under his hotel room door from Brad about what he thought, and Brad would already be on a flight to somewhere else.

I think there was just a generation gap and clash of strong personalities, but the terse and disdainful way Murray ended the relationship, not even speaking to Brad personally, and the very pointedly unenthusiastic statement Andy's team put out to the press with the announcement was not well handled at all.
Which is exactly why I don't get Gilbert's love for Murray. Is it out of guilt? Or maybe Murray has some secrets on him. I don't know. it's all strange. If someone fired me like that, I'd probably be waiting for them in the parking lot.

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
Which is exactly why I don't get Gilbert's love for Murray. Is it out of guilt? Or maybe Murray has some secrets on him. I don't know. it's all strange. If someone fired me like that, I'd probably be waiting for them in the parking lot.
I think Brad has a huge ego but I think he does have the ability to switch it off and be professional.

I think he really likes Murray's game - more talent than Brad ever had but less...ballet....than a guy like Federer - you have to realise Federer and Gilbert are like oil and water, one is winning ugly and one is...well I'll win ugly if I must but I'd rather win beautifully and I can do. I don't think Federer and Gilbert get along either, Federer has in the past been very blunt about the likelihood of him engaging Gilbert as a coach: "Not a chance."

So I think while the way things ended with Andy may have rankled, he still has admiration for the game and prefers it to that of Federer, it's more "him". I also think that, while the way he was dismissed might have rankled, someone like Gilbert might well be able to appreciate the ruthless single-mindedness of the decision itself.
scoobs is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,270
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I think Brad has a huge ego but I think he does have the ability to switch it off and be professional.

I think he really likes Murray's game - more talent than Brad ever had but less...ballet....than a guy like Federer - you have to realise Federer and Gilbert are like oil and water, one is winning ugly and one is...well I'll win ugly if I must but I'd rather win beautifully and I can do. I don't think Federer and Gilbert get along either, Federer has in the past been very blunt about the likelihood of him engaging Gilbert as a coach: "Not a chance."

So I think while the way things ended with Andy may have rankled, he still has admiration for the game and prefers it to that of Federer, it's more "him". I also think that, while the way he was dismissed might have rankled, someone like Gilbert might well be able to appreciate the ruthless single-mindedness of the decision itself.
But you got to understand, it's not just against Murray. He said Davydenko had a very good shot at winning against Roger. Obviously he picks Nadal over Fed all the time which is understandable. He picked Roddick over Roger at Wimbledon. And of course he picked Del Po over Fed in U.S. and he was right. But it seems he has made a career out of picking against Roger. I think maybe something's going on between Rog and Brad that we don't know about?

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Gilbert remembers Andy fondly from all the shouting and swearing directed at him during matches
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
But you got to understand, it's not just against Murray. He said Davydenko had a very good shot at winning against Roger. Obviously he picks Nadal over Fed all the time which is understandable. He picked Roddick over Roger at Wimbledon. And of course he picked Del Po over Fed in U.S. and he was right. But it seems he has made a career out of picking against Roger. I think maybe something's going on between Rog and Brad that we don't know about?
Possibly there is, but as I say I don't think they get along. Roger was very blunt about the likelihood of hiring Gilbert as a coach, as you say, Gilbert always picks against Roger.

If there's more to the story than has made it out into the public domain I would not be surprised but so far nobody's telling if there is.
scoobs is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,270
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Possibly there is, but as I say I don't think they get along. Roger was very blunt about the likelihood of hiring Gilbert as a coach, as you say, Gilbert always picks against Roger.

If there's more to the story than has made it out into the public domain I would not be surprised but so far nobody's telling if there is.
Makes for a great book. I am sure when Federer rights a book, he'll spill some beans on his struggles in the past couple of years. Then again, Roger is not like Andre Agassi. So he might just right a boring book.

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Gilbert is an envious wanker. So talentless that players who lost to him routinely contemplated retirement.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered User
 
Roddickominator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 31
Posts: 1,962
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Even in the after-match interviews Gilbert makes a point to fistbump with Murray...as if to show that they're still buddies.

I dunno...Gilbert kinda puts off a jilted lover vibe with Murray. Murray broke up with him, but he is still #1 in Gilbert's heart.
Roddickominator is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
F***ing have it
 
alfonsojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Barranquilla (COL)
Age: 41
Posts: 16,935
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

I'm pretty sure Gilbert wanted to play "the coach who saved my career" game, and obviously JesusFed said "No, thanks".

"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another" .. Madonna

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Petzschner, Simon, Qureshi, Steve Johnson
alfonsojose is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered User
 
SerenaFederer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 27
Posts: 1,910
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
Makes for a great book. I am sure when Federer rights a book, he'll spill some beans on his struggles in the past couple of years. Then again, Roger is not like Andre Agassi. So he might just right a boring book.
roger will include how he almost let contemplated letting roddick win wimbledon, as his major controversy

±Кимберли®± - Rin, pyou, tou, sha, kai, jin, retsu, sai, zen. Akuryou Taisan!

.."and they will call him Immanuel - which means God with us" Matthew 1: 23

KING FEDERER Falling in love with Rafa and his "famoose ass"
#194 on the Fed Express
SerenaFederer is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Registered User
 
SerenaFederer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 27
Posts: 1,910
                     
Re: Federer, Murray, Brad Gilbert Love/Hate Triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddickominator View Post
Even in the after-match interviews Gilbert makes a point to fistbump with Murray...as if to show that they're still buddies.

I dunno...Gilbert kinda puts off a jilted lover vibe with Murray. Murray broke up with him, but he is still #1 in Gilbert's heart.
i don't get it though Gilbert is to Fed as Carillo is to ws and Fed...they just seem to NOT gel AT ALL

i think Fed pays more attention to press than other players and therefore hears more of the comments made...so when Gilbert is always picking against him, Carillo suggesting he tanked against the brit in their first match, he probably just doesn't like them...he seems to be fine with Cahill but that's probably because Cahill seems to actually be more analytical and realistic about tennis than any of the others are

±Кимберли®± - Rin, pyou, tou, sha, kai, jin, retsu, sai, zen. Akuryou Taisan!

.."and they will call him Immanuel - which means God with us" Matthew 1: 23

KING FEDERER Falling in love with Rafa and his "famoose ass"
#194 on the Fed Express
SerenaFederer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome