Here is how the top players line up:
- Roger Federer (Dai-Y) and Rafael Nadal as Yokozuna (=Grand Champions)
- Novak Djokovic and Juan Martin del Potro as Ozeki (=Champions). Del Potro got promoted following his victory at the US Open.
- Robin Soderling as Sekiwake (=Junior Champion I)
- Andy Roddick (a former Ozeki), Andy Murray and Fernando Gonzalez (both former Sekiwake) as Komusubi (=Junior Champions II)
The top Maegashira (=non-champion) ranks are filled by:
- Nikolay Davydenko (former Sekiwake) and Fernando Verdasco (former Komusubi) at M1
- Jo-Wifried Tsonga (former Sekiwake) and Gael Monfils (former Komusubi) at M2, and
- Radek Stepanek and Marin Cilic at M3
No player is on a Yokozuna run. Andy Roddick would be (re-)promoted to Ozeki if he reaches the final, Andy Murray if he wins the tournament.
Robin Soderling exited the tournament early and will be demoted to Komusubi for the French Open 2010.
For a more extensive preview--also of the ladies' tournament--follow the link in my signature.