Is Murray losing Confidence Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon??? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Noleta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Love Carpet
Posts: 40,645
                     
Is Murray losing Confidence Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon???

LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Murray was left in the shade by Juan Martin del Potro this year as the gangly Argentine made his grand slam breakthrough although the Briton is confident his time will arrive soon.

Del Potro, at 21 a year younger than Murray, stunned Rafael Nadal and then Roger Federer to win the U.S. Open in September meaning Murray is now the odd one out -- the only member of the world's top five without a major title on his CV.

He gets a chance to prove his credentials in London over the next week when he competes for the one million pounds jackpot at the ATP World Tour Finals and believes winning the tournament is the next best thing to a grand slam.

"This tournament is just behind the grand slams because you have to win five matches, or four matches, against the top players in the world," Murray, who starts his round-robin matches against Del Potro on Sunday, told reporters.

"You might even have to beat the number one or number two in the world twice to win the event so it's not quite the same as a grand slam but it's a huge, huge tournament."

SLAM CHANCES

Murray has grown tired of fielding questions about his failure to win a grand slam this season.

He pointed out he equalled his best run at the Australian Open and went further than ever before at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals and semis respectively.

"Everyone views it a little bit differently but I still believe that I have a few chances, maybe one or two more chances, to win a grand slam," said Murray who claimed his sixth title of the year in Valencia earlier this month.

"The year has been a successful one. For some people grand slams are the be-all and end-all. I want to win one, I'm trying my best to win one and I'll work as hard as I can.

"My consistency this year has been superb. Physically, I've felt like I've been a lot better this year. I've got a better record against all the top players this year, so it has been my best year on tour without question."

Del Potro said he was looking forward to facing Murray in the opening action in London but admitted he was surprised the Scot had yet to win one of the game's big prizes.

"I am surprised, yeah, a little bit. I'm sure that it was one of his goals for this year," said Del Potro. "For me I was thinking more next year or 2011 so for me it came early.

"But Murray is a great player and he will have 20,000 people cheering for him on Sunday so it's going to be tough."


Does he really think that,surely he have more than 1 or 2 chances to win GS.Think he only saying it just so he can avoid the hype

DelPo kind of rubbing it in

Ssshhh..........

Last edited by Noleta; 11-21-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Noleta is offline  
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered User
 
Kolya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 11,324
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

He has the game for sure to win a GS, now he just needs to reevaluate his mentality and preparation going into a GS.

Robin Bo Carl Söderling
Kolya is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered User
 
Goldenoldie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 73
Posts: 9,689
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

If Murray thinks this is his best year on the tour, he is obviously not going to modify his style of play anytime soon.
This is so frustrating!
Come on Andy, Plan A hasn't worked, and most people think it never will. You are plenty good enough to at least try plan B

M. T. F.
The biggest source of bullshit since cattle were domesticated.
Goldenoldie is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 677
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Murray was left in the shade by Juan Martin del Potro this year as the gangly Argentine made his grand slam breakthrough although the Briton is confident his time will arrive soon.

Del Potro, at 21 a year younger than Murray, stunned Rafael Nadal and then Roger Federer to win the U.S. Open in September meaning Murray is now the odd one out -- the only member of the world's top five without a major title on his CV.

He gets a chance to prove his credentials in London over the next week when he competes for the one million pounds jackpot at the ATP World Tour Finals and believes winning the tournament is the next best thing to a grand slam.

"This tournament is just behind the grand slams because you have to win five matches, or four matches, against the top players in the world," Murray, who starts his round-robin matches against Del Potro on Sunday, told reporters.

"You might even have to beat the number one or number two in the world twice to win the event so it's not quite the same as a grand slam but it's a huge, huge tournament."

SLAM CHANCES

Murray has grown tired of fielding questions about his failure to win a grand slam this season.

He pointed out he equalled his best run at the Australian Open and went further than ever before at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals and semis respectively.

"Everyone views it a little bit differently but I still believe that I have a few chances, maybe one or two more chances, to win a grand slam," said Murray who claimed his sixth title of the year in Valencia earlier this month.

"The year has been a successful one. For some people grand slams are the be-all and end-all. I want to win one, I'm trying my best to win one and I'll work as hard as I can.

"My consistency this year has been superb. Physically, I've felt like I've been a lot better this year. I've got a better record against all the top players this year, so it has been my best year on tour without question."

Del Potro said he was looking forward to facing Murray in the opening action in London but admitted he was surprised the Scot had yet to win one of the game's big prizes.

"I am surprised, yeah, a little bit. I'm sure that it was one of his goals for this year," said Del Potro. "For me I was thinking more next year or 2011 so for me it came early.

"But Murray is a great player and he will have 20,000 people cheering for him on Sunday so it's going to be tough."


Does he really think that,surely he have more than 1 or 2 chances to win GS.Think he only saying it just so he can avoid the hype

DelPo kind of rubbing it in
HAHAHHAHAHAHA Del Potro was thinking 2010 or 2011 would be his first slam win so for him it came early
RafitoGoat is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered User
 
tennishero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,406
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATPARERA View Post
HAHAHHAHAHAHA Del Potro was thinking 2010 or 2011 would be his first slam win so for him it came early
well done u can read.
tennishero is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,513
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Murray was left in the shade by Juan Martin del Potro this year as the gangly Argentine made his grand slam breakthrough although the Briton is confident his time will arrive soon.

Del Potro, at 21 a year younger than Murray, stunned Rafael Nadal and then Roger Federer to win the U.S. Open in September meaning Murray is now the odd one out -- the only member of the world's top five without a major title on his CV.

He gets a chance to prove his credentials in London over the next week when he competes for the one million pounds jackpot at the ATP World Tour Finals and believes winning the tournament is the next best thing to a grand slam.

"This tournament is just behind the grand slams because you have to win five matches, or four matches, against the top players in the world," Murray, who starts his round-robin matches against Del Potro on Sunday, told reporters.

"You might even have to beat the number one or number two in the world twice to win the event so it's not quite the same as a grand slam but it's a huge, huge tournament."

SLAM CHANCES

Murray has grown tired of fielding questions about his failure to win a grand slam this season.

He pointed out he equalled his best run at the Australian Open and went further than ever before at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals and semis respectively.

"Everyone views it a little bit differently but I still believe that I have a few chances, maybe one or two more chances, to win a grand slam," said Murray who claimed his sixth title of the year in Valencia earlier this month.

"The year has been a successful one. For some people grand slams are the be-all and end-all. I want to win one, I'm trying my best to win one and I'll work as hard as I can.

"My consistency this year has been superb. Physically, I've felt like I've been a lot better this year. I've got a better record against all the top players this year, so it has been my best year on tour without question."

Del Potro said he was looking forward to facing Murray in the opening action in London but admitted he was surprised the Scot had yet to win one of the game's big prizes.

"I am surprised, yeah, a little bit. I'm sure that it was one of his goals for this year," said Del Potro. "For me I was thinking more next year or 2011 so for me it came early.

"But Murray is a great player and he will have 20,000 people cheering for him on Sunday so it's going to be tough."


Does he really think that,surely he have more than 1 or 2 chances to win GS.Think he only saying it just so he can avoid the hype

DelPo kind of rubbing it in
The title of this thread kind of contradicts its content. Murray doesn't exactly sound confident to me. Also, I'm not sure I would call this year that much better than last year for Murray. Same amount of Masters Series but a Grand Slam final instead of a semi. Although, this year isn't over yet.

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think Kokkinakis will be the most successful player born in the 90s.
n8 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered User
 
Cloudygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,070
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

he doesn't sound that confident at all to me. Quite worrying actually. I still believe (that if he doesn't play passive shite tennis) he can win a slam.

Richard GasquetGilles SimonRafa Nadal Stan Wawrinka Andy Murray
Cloudygirl is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered User
 
MurrayFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Reading, England
Age: 29
Posts: 1,261
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Yeah he needs to play waaaaaay more agessively. I think the month or so after London will do him the world of good.



READING FC




MurrayFan1 is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
Goldenoldie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 73
Posts: 9,689
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayFan1 View Post
Yeah he needs to play waaaaaay more agessively. I think the month or so after London will do him the world of good.
Didn't we say that last year???

M. T. F.
The biggest source of bullshit since cattle were domesticated.
Goldenoldie is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Murray is still more popular oversea's than Nole and Del Potro IMO
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
Garson007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stellenbosch
Age: 29
Posts: 3,958
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
Murray is still more popular oversea's than Nole and Del Potro IMO
This is relevant how exactly?
Garson007 is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
Andi-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheffield
Age: 30
Posts: 5,998
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Murray sounds distinctly unconfident if you ask me you might want to change thread title.

Go Andy!

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
This is relevant how exactly?
because you are a muppet, thats how
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Registered User
 
Getta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,983
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
This is relevant how exactly?
fairly easy to decipher.

Murray's ability to keep people hopeful about the future allows him to maintain popularity even in the face of "mediocre" results.
Getta is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 677
                     
Re: Murray Confident Of Joining Grand Slam Club Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
fairly easy to decipher.

Murray's ability to keep people hopeful about the future allows him to maintain popularity even in the face of "mediocre" results.
2009 is Murray's best year at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, so it can't be called mediocre, plus the Masters events results, basically his best year on tour
RafitoGoat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome