Wimbly Tournament of Champions - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JediFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 8,524
                     
Wimbly Tournament of Champions

I was curious and generated this draw, which includes the best 128 performers at Wimbledon.

The draw has been randomised. Seed numbers represent my ranking. Some quite interesting matchups!

1 Pete Sampras
50 Baghdatis
65 Stoltenberg
103 Krishnan
56 Kafenikov
102 Kuhnen
48 Jarryd
25 Tim Henman
29 Philippoussis
86 Black
108 Gomez
63 Malisse
84 Clement
83 Lopez
54 Gottfried
16 Stich
9 Newcombe
105 Acuna
101 Goldie
71 G.Mayer
49 Bjorkman
80 Kriek
67 Edmonston
24 Ivan Lendl
17 Pat Cash
99 Pierce
122 Graebner
35 Wilander
120 Bertram
62 Johannson
37 Okker
7 Rod Laver
6 Boris Becker
107 Annacone
73 Berdych
87 Kiefer
114 Parun
110 Purcell
118 Gullikson
18 Jan Kodes
22 Ilie Nastase
123 Carmichael
78 Rusedski
88 Sanguinetti
69 Dupre
89 Ferreira
106 Smid
10 Goran Ivanisevic
13 Richard Krajicek
115 Orantes
82 Escude
68 Frawley
38 Ramirez
61 Schuettler
124 Drysdale
30 Cedric Piolene
27 David Nalbandian
116 Dibley
96 Matsuoka
74 Stepanek
125 Gimeno
42 Lewis
126 Gorman
3 Roger Federer
4 Jimmy Connors
127 Roy Emerson
33 Tanner
97 Bergstrom
46 Vilas
94 Gambill
75 Gonzalez
26 Jim Courier
23 Andy Roddick
112 Fleming
45 Djokovic
85 Niemenen
90 Voltchov
72 Murray
109 Sadri
15 Arthur Ashe
12 Rafael Nadal
104 Gundthart
98 Theirry-Champion
111 Radulescu
95 Elting
34 Mayotte
93 Sa
28 Sebastien Grosjean
32 Kevin Curren
66 Wheaton
64 Woodbridge
81 Teacher
117 Panatta
92 Enqvist
36 Roche
8 Stefan Edberg
5 John McEnroe
79 Gilbert
39 Metreveli
77 Korda
70 Popp
119 Scanlon
41 Leconte
21 Ken Rosewell
31 Todd Martin
58 Stockton
55 Ferrero
40 Ancic
47 Mecir
60 Amritaj
100 Chamberlain
14 Lleyton Hewitt
11 Andre Agassi
51 Zivojinovic
76 Kuerton
113 Fibak
34 Gerulaitis
53 S.Mayer
91 Lapentti
19 Stan Smith
20 Patrick Rafter
57 Chang
52 Forget
44 Safin
43 Washington
59 Taylor
128 McNamara
2 Bjorn Borg

Last edited by JediFed; 07-19-2009 at 12:05 AM.
JediFed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hulshout
Posts: 4,474
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

let's play fill in the draw ?

Play FMTA Now ...

Next tournament : Open 13 ... http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...php?p=11738780
Drikke is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

What was your criterion? Put whomever you wanted to regardless of the results?
GlennMirnyi is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Registered User
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,856
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Brilliant thread.
JimmyV is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JediFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 8,524
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Quote:
What was your criterion? Put whomever you wanted to regardless of the results?
Career performance at Wimbly, QFs+SFs+Fs+Ws. This is before 2009 Wimbly, which will move some players up.

I believe everyone here has at least 1 QF at Wimbledon.
JediFed is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 12,038
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Some days later...
and then Sampras, Nadal and Federer are gifted with easy draws.

R32 matches
1 Pete Sampras vs Kafelnikov or Henman
Philipoussis vs Stich
Newcombe vs Ivan Lendl
Pat Cash vs Rod Laver
Boris Becker vs Jan Kodes
Ilie Nastase vs Goran Ivanisevic
Richard Krajicek vs Cedric Piolene
David Nalbandian vs Roger Federer
Jimmy Connors vs Vilas or Courier
Andy Roddick vs Arthur Ashe or A.Murray or N.Djokovic
Rafael Nadal vs Mayotte or Grosjean
Kevin Curren vs Stefan Edberg
John McEnroe vs Ken Rosewall
Todd Martin vs Mecir or Hewitt
Andre Agassi vs Stan Smith or Gerulaitis
Patrick Rafter vs Bjorn Borg

HELLAS TT DAVIS CUP TEAM
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Career performance at Wimbly, QFs+SFs+Fs+Ws. This is before 2009 Wimbly, which will move some players up.

I believe everyone here has at least 1 QF at Wimbledon.
You criterion sucks.

In tennis, making 1 final is more important than 5 SFs.

Therefore, you missed guys like Voltchkov, a SF in 2000.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Har-Tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Posts: 20,524
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

this is Open Era I take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JediFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 8,524
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Ok, that's one. Any others that should be on the list?

I thought I had Voltchov on.

Yes, open era of course, which is why Laver only gets a 7 seed.

Last edited by JediFed; 07-19-2009 at 12:03 AM.
JediFed is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
JediFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 8,524
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Quote:
let's play fill in the draw ?
Why not, could be fun.
JediFed is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,811
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

What a disastrous thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
...was properly educated by my parents, so i think before i write something stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Registered User
 
ForehandWinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 175
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Nice threat but what are the numbers based on?
ForehandWinner is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Registered User
 
out_here_grindin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cedar City,Utah
Posts: 12,256
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Baghdatis vs Sampras would be a classic.

Paradorn Srichaphan
Kei Nishikori, Donald Young, Somdev Devvarman, Dustin Brown, Steve Johnson, Yannick Maden
Robert Farah, Clement Reix, Alexander Dolgopolov, Nathan Thompson


Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 665
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Some days later...
and then Sampras, Nadal and Federer are gifted with easy draws.

R32 matches
1 Pete Sampras vs Kafelnikov or Henman
Philipoussis vs Stich
Newcombe vs Ivan Lendl
Pat Cash vs Rod Laver
Boris Becker vs Jan Kodes
Ilie Nastase vs Goran Ivanisevic
Richard Krajicek vs Cedric Piolene
David Nalbandian vs Roger Federer
Jimmy Connors vs Vilas or Courier
Andy Roddick vs Arthur Ashe or A.Murray or N.Djokovic
Rafael Nadal vs Mayotte or Grosjean
Kevin Curren vs Stefan Edberg
John McEnroe vs Ken Rosewall
Todd Martin vs Mecir or Hewitt
Andre Agassi vs Stan Smith or Gerulaitis
Patrick Rafter vs Bjorn Borg
The last 16 would look like this:

Sampras vs Stich
Newcombe vs Laver
Becker vs Ivanisevic
Krajicek vs Federer
Connors vs Roddick
Nadal vs Edberg
McEnroe vs Hewitt
Agassi vs Borg

At that point, some of the matchups are sort of opinion, but I think the quarters would end up like this:

Sampras vs Laver
Becker vs Federer
Connors vs Edberg
McEnroe vs Borg

I think the semis would be:

Sampras vs Federer
Edberg vs McEnroe

McEnroe against Borg was the toughest one there, but I think peak McEnroe in 1984 would beat Borg at his best on grass.

In any case, the finals would be McEnroe vs either Sampras or Federer. All three of those guys could win; Edberg wouldn't. The problem is that Federer, Sampras, and McEnroe played in different conditions at Wimbledon. McEnroe played on fast grass with wooden rackets. Sampras played on fast grass with modern rackets, and Federer has played on slower grass with modern rackets.

If we were playing in today's Wimbledon conditions, then Federer would beat Sampras. But if we were playing in past decade's grass, then the final would be Sampras vs McEnroe. 1999 Wimbledon Sampras vs 1984 Wimbledon McEnroe would be extremely good and extremely close.
lessthanjake is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Wimbly Tournament of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanjake View Post
The last 16 would look like this:

Sampras vs Stich
Newcombe vs Laver
Becker vs Ivanisevic
Krajicek vs Federer
Connors vs Roddick
Nadal vs Edberg
McEnroe vs Hewitt
Agassi vs Borg

At that point, some of the matchups are sort of opinion, but I think the quarters would end up like this:

Sampras vs Laver
Becker vs Federer
Connors vs Edberg
McEnroe vs Borg

I think the semis would be:

Sampras vs Federer
Edberg vs McEnroe

McEnroe against Borg was the toughest one there, but I think peak McEnroe in 1984 would beat Borg at his best on grass.

In any case, the finals would be McEnroe vs either Sampras or Federer. All three of those guys could win; Edberg wouldn't. The problem is that Federer, Sampras, and McEnroe played in different conditions at Wimbledon. McEnroe played on fast grass with wooden rackets. Sampras played on fast grass with modern rackets, and Federer has played on slower grass with modern rackets.

If we were playing in today's Wimbledon conditions, then Federer would beat Sampras. But if we were playing in past decade's grass, then the final would be Sampras vs McEnroe. 1999 Wimbledon Sampras vs 1984 Wimbledon McEnroe would be extremely good and extremely close.
Good analysis. The debate on whether who would win Federer vs Sampras on the old grass is very questionable, because honestly even though Federer doesn't S&V he does hold serve quite effectively and I think I would give Federer the edge on returning. Sampras has a more powerful and flat forehand but he never showed anything off his backhand side that has impressed me.

And by the way, like Glenn says, the criterion does need a bit work.. Honestly, Roger should be second seed if we are going by statistics. Roger has 7 finals and 6 wins while Borg has 6 finals and 5 wins... I don't see how that puts Borg infront of Federer.

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome