Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?
Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Kuerten won Roland Garros at 20, so no.

And about the 24 year old vs. "youngster", carrying the potential to be more physically superior is also completely irrelevant. I'm not going to repeat myself, so I shall leave it at that.
he was 20, nearly 21, not a teen, I should not have used the word "more" (which in my mind means "after the 20th birthday).

But I see that you've decided to refuse any reading/listening to me and arguing anyway, which is a popular method at the moment, OK let it be.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 15,541
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
they are marginal cases, and there have always been marginal cases like that, but I see that you associate stamina and endurance with oldies, which was precisely my concern in this debate which I mentioned in previous post.
Not really, I'm merely using them because if someone at 35 can keep up, surely someone at 19 or 20 shouldn't have that much problem to do the same. I mean, it's just best of 2 most of the times, and often they don't even go further then R2, they can't be that tired unless they don't really train too hard.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #363 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,300
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
he was 20, nearly 21, not a teen, I should not have used the word "more" (which in my mind means "after the 20th birthday).

But I see that you've decided to refuse any reading/listening to me and arguing anyway, which is a popular method at the moment, OK let it be.
Well if you had read my posts, you'd have seen that I was referring to anyone under the age of 21, as I had clearly stated.

I have covered every detail of your post in my initial posts, which are based on scientific evidence and educated analysis, unlike yours, so if you'd like to have a sensible discussion, I'd suggest you address my points instead of ignoring them and stating what really is guesswork and in regards to the doping comment, juvenile and ignorant nonsense.
Burrow is offline  
post #364 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Registered User
 
Game.Petzschner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,132
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
Isnt it obvious? Tennis has become extremely physical. Only athletes with peak endurance and strength can compete. And it takes time to reach that level. No 19 year old is winning the tour de france any time soon either.
this
Game.Petzschner is offline  
post #365 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Well if you had read my posts, you'd have seen that I was referring to anyone under the age of 21, as I had clearly stated.

I have covered every detail of your post in my initial posts, which are based on scientific evidence and educated analysis, unlike yours, so if you'd like to have a sensible discussion, I'd suggest you address my points instead of ignoring them and stating what really is guesswork and in regards to the doping comment, juvenile and ignorant nonsense.
no I had read your posts back and hadn't seen in your posts anything related to what I mentioned in my post about youngsters vs 24-28 year old guys.

You're contemptuous, which is a popular attitude in this forum at the moment (Lenders, Latso, now you), but which is a negation of the interest of a forum imo.

Anyway I give up, despise whoever you want if you like it.

useless old guy

Last edited by duong; 01-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
duong is offline  
post #366 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,300
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
no I had read your posts back and hadn't seen in your posts anything related to what I mentioned in my post about youngsters vs 24-28 year old guys.

You're contemptuous, which is a popular attitude in this forum at the moment (Lenders, Latso, now you), but which is a negation of the interest of a forum imo.

Anyway I give up, despise whoever you want if you like it.
I had already explained why those 30 years old, or older have in an advantage of attaining high VO2 max and Lactate threshold scores is irrelevant, so why would it be any different in regards to 24 year olds? Sometimes you are required to use your brain, instead of having information spoon fed.

And thank you, I'll keep what I think (and have thought for some time, reading your posts) of you to myself.
Burrow is offline  
post #367 of 534 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,045
                     
Re: No teens in the top 250!

I see the Omerta is in full form at MTF.

The posts that expose the obvious reason for this phenomena are deleted, and all we are left with are fools with their denial trying to explain away the obvious.
AndyNonomous is offline  
post #368 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User
 
Navratil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 913
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Not sure what Thomas Muster's comeback will be like and I don't know if he will break into the Top 50 next year like 40-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm did this year on the WTA-tour but it's obvious that players are getting older and older.

There are no teen-sensations at all. Yes, Filip Krajcinovic reached a semifinal at an ATP-event this year and looks like the next big thing from Serbia but it was not that sensationell that an 18-year-old reaches a semi at a small event. Grigor Dimitrov and Bernard Tomic struggle. Ryan Harris is not there yet.

Fact is, that there is no teen in the Top 100 right now!
The best teen is Federico del Bonis from Argentina - # 148.

Back in the 80ties Chang won his first Slam when he was 17, Becker did too, so Mats Wilander. Sampras at Edberg won their first Slams when they were teens. Then Hewitt was the youngest # 1 ever in the 90ties...

More and more players (like Melzer this year) have their breakthrough when they are almost 30. Most of the successful doubles players are way over 30 (although they still look like college-teens - e.g. the Bryan-brothers).*

This is definitly part of the demographic change.

But also I think that the very young players can't compete with the twens because the game got more and more physical. And the body needs time to develop.

The same on the women's side where players at 14 or 15 used to have their breakthrough in the 80ties and 90ties: Austin, Capriati, Hingis, ...


*By the way: I made a similar thread here a year ago:
Players are getting older and older...
... that was 2009 and 2010.

Now it's 2013 and the best teenager in the rankings is Jiri Vesely (# 251) followed by Dominic Thiem (# 304).

On the other side Roger Federer became the oldest # 1 in the ATP rankings last year and Serena Williams the oldest # 1 in the WTA rankings yesterday.

Kimiko Date will turn 43 this year but had her best Grand Slam run since 1995 last month and it looks like there will be more 40-year-olds than teenager within the next years.

Even on the ATP tour, 40-year-old Daniel Nestor (will turn 41 this September) is still # 4 in the doubles ranking and the best doubles team - the Bryan brothers - will turn 35 next month!

So - I guess you can't deny the demographic change anymore
Navratil is offline  
post #369 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 95,882
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

well, that's life, avg life span for people gets longer too, we look younger for longer, we get married late and have first children in mid 30s

dunno why ppl have such a teen obsession in tennis

if they are boned by children winning medals, i suggest to watch china team in sports gymnastics or smth

tennis is the same cool sport whether slam winners are 18 or 28

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #370 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 15,541
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
well, that's life, avg life span for people gets longer too, we look younger for longer, we get married late and have first children in mid 30s

dunno why ppl have such a teen obsession in tennis

if they are boned by children winning medals, i suggest to watch china team in sports gymnastics or smth

tennis is the same cool sport whether slam winners are 18 or 28
Well said

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #371 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,995
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
... that was 2009 and 2010.

Now it's 2013 and the best teenager in the rankings is Jiri Vesely (# 251) followed by Dominic Thiem (# 304).

On the other side Roger Federer became the oldest # 1 in the ATP rankings last year and Serena Williams the oldest # 1 in the WTA rankings yesterday.

Kimiko Date will turn 43 this year but had her best Grand Slam run since 1995 last month and it looks like there will be more 40-year-olds than teenager within the next years.

Even on the ATP tour, 40-year-old Daniel Nestor (will turn 41 this September) is still # 4 in the doubles ranking and the best doubles team - the Bryan brothers - will turn 35 next month!

So - I guess you can't deny the demographic change anymore
This just proves further that tennis has become way too physical now. You need to be a marathon runner more than a tennis player.
Serverer is offline  
post #372 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered User
 
TennisOnWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,020
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
well, that's life, avg life span for people gets longer too, we look younger for longer, we get married late and have first children in mid 30s

dunno why ppl have such a teen obsession in tennis

if they are boned by children winning medals, i suggest to watch china team in sports gymnastics or smth

tennis is the same cool sport whether slam winners are 18 or 28
Its not that cool when you in 2013 have 4 players born after 1988 with ATP titles, forget about teenagers

HIC IACET ARTHURUS REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS — "Here lies Arthur, the once and future king."
TennisOnWood is offline  
post #373 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 95,882
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisOnWood View Post
Its not that cool when you in 2013 have 4 players born after 1988 with ATP titles, forget about teenagers
and what exactly would make it so cool?
young boys are yummy and old meats like benneteau are unwatchable because they're over 30?

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #374 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered User
 
TennisOnWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,020
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
and what exactly would make it so cool?
young boys are yummy and old meats like benneteau are unwatchable because they're over 30?
To see some different faces and something new for a change.. we watched Benneteau and other oldtimers more then enough

HIC IACET ARTHURUS REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS — "Here lies Arthur, the once and future king."
TennisOnWood is offline  
post #375 of 534 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 95,882
                     
Re: No teens in the Top 100

if you want seeing new faces, switch to cycling, you get new heroes every season after previous ones get banned (maybe weightlifting and sprints are also the options)

chang won RG at 17, by the age of 30 he was done
borg won RG at 18, retired aged 26
wilander won RG at 18, was practically done at the age of 26

i don't really see the point

the players who really went well from a teenager to 30-something can be counted on one hand

i, personally, couldnt care less if someone peaks 17-26 or 26-34

the only problem for most of these guys is to get to the main stage they have to play a few years on the ITF horrible circuit

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome