Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?
Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Registered User
 
Ibracadabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 8,559
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Movement is vital in tennis. Boxing less so as the opponent has to come to you but in tennis you need to move to the ball.

Juan Martin Del Potro


But he lost 23 times against you.
's right. We have to also throw into the mix. But I do not think it is currently the decisive factor. But he has achieved in my opinion too much. Maybe this is crucial if I move him even closer after major victories. But 14 or 17 Grand Slam titles is a significant difference. At the present time there is no question that he must be the greater player than me.

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #167 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 AM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,961
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capuccino View Post
Because it's the most physically demanding.
This, combined with the fact that most tennis players get onto the main tour at 16/17/18 and are done by their late 20's.

Meanwhile, you have guys in other sports that take the college route and don't get to the pros until 22-23, and last until their mid 30's.

Also, the tennis schedule is insanely demanding as well as mentally draining.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #168 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Registered User
 
Silvester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 1,480
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

demanding on the body, all the lateral movement is very hard on joints etc.
Silvester is offline  
post #169 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 39
Posts: 583
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Because it's pushed into everyone's heads that you're on your way out by 30 and most every player just believes it because they've heard it their whole life. They're mentally tuned to lose it in their late 20's / early 30's.
kindling is offline  
post #170 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered User
 
wildemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 7,713
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

The schedule and ranking system with prize money differential. If ATP players had a genuine offseason, quality of play would increase and we would have less mechanical, heartless tennis in ATP 250 and 500's.
wildemu is offline  
post #171 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,509
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Because it's the toughest sport?
LawrenceOfTennis is offline  
post #172 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 26
Posts: 2,570
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceOfTennis View Post
Because it's the toughest sport?

i disagree. Basketball is tougher than tennis (not extremely tougher, but it is indeed tougher)
tests is offline  
post #173 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered User
 
green25814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 4,379
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

The scheduling in tennis is pretty brutal, and these days the sport is less and less about technical skill and more and more about raw athleticism.

I love all aspects of TENNIS.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline  
post #174 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 AM
country flag sco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 596
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tests View Post
i disagree. Basketball is tougher than tennis (not extremely tougher, but it is indeed tougher)
NBA has a long off-season. If they don't make the playoffs, they're off from mid-April to Nov. If they play all the way to the Finals, then they're off from mid-June till November. Good NBA players probably play about 30-35 mins per game (usually every other day).
sco is offline  
post #175 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 26
Posts: 2,570
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
NBA has a long off-season. If they don't make the playoffs, they're off from mid-April to Nov. If they play all the way to the Finals, then they're off from mid-June till November. Good NBA players probably play about 30-35 mins per game (usually every other day).
What would your ranking consist of when it comes to most difficult sports?
tests is offline  
post #176 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 468
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

An active boxer might fight 4 times in a year, over a period of about 45 minutes at most.

Tennis players have got a crazy schedule. If they only played Grand Slams, they could easily keep going until their late 30's.

Red Grass Specialist
BackhandMissile is offline  
post #177 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Registered User
 
tennis2tennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,531
                     
Re: Why is Tennis such a young man's sport?

the mileage
tennis2tennis is offline  
post #178 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered User
 
Jelena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 85,809
                     
Re: Age and Ranking - Why is the top 100 getting older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valhalla- View Post
The Challenger circuit should be for young up-and-comers instead of aging dinasaurs. Perhaps there should be an age limit? ... 27-28?
This would mean a prohibition of doing their job once they're older than a limit set. No matter on which court you went to as player, you'd win the case. Remember, they're doing their job as every other person does.

Vamos Nando! Come on Andy! A portuguese Vamos to André Sá e Marcelo Melo! Vamos Gastão!Auf geht's Dustin! Vamos ChristianLindell!Vamos David! Pojd Tomáš! Davai Dolgo!

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline  
post #179 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,509
                     
Re: Age and Ranking - Why is the top 100 getting older?

The youngest player in the top 100 is Dimitrov and he's already 20. Back in the days teenagers won slams.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline  
post #180 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered User
 
MaxPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 32
Posts: 7,805
                     
Re: Age and Ranking - Why is the top 100 getting older?

In many sports you can compensate for loss of quickness with experience. Like knowing where to be and what to do. Good example is team sports. It's not always obvious that a star player has lost speed/quickness because they are always in the right position and try to not put that much mileage on their body in the match. In a short rush over 20-30m a 35-40 year old can definitely be competitive. It's just when you do it over and over day after day you wont heal as fast as a 20-25 year old and the risk for injury is higher as well.

On the other side of the coin a male 16-17 year old that want to compete with a 25 year old will have to rush the development of muscles and such and that comes at the price of endurance. Many endurance sports like long distance running/cross-country skiing or what not it's very clear that young juniors can't compete because it takes a few years of hard pressure on the body to develop the kind of endurance needed.

So I'd say tennis right now is neither a young mans sport or an old man's sport. It is for men in their peak physical condition. No matter when that comes. Some might reach that at 20-22 and keep it, others take until 25. Some might even peak at 27-29! Most men will decline post 30 though because then the decline in testosterone production etc is a factor (unless you use doping)

And as people said in this thread you are actually covering the court and chasing a ball. You can't "cheat" in tennis by just covering the right side of the court or something like an old soccer player might decide that he will not move as much over the field. There is no-one else to fill in for you and cover for you like a young and up and coming talent can cover for veterans in team games. Doesn't work to be 35-40. Sure you can give your all for a few points and look competitive. Then you would be tired in no time. Or you can decide to not cover far out or run down dropshots etc. Your opponent will use that and you lose badly

Also I think the kids 16-17 years old and alike has problems with the power. The ball is hit so hard that either you will have to rush build muscle (maybe even illegaly to have time!) while you work on the endurance and technique OR you can take it easier with the endurance and technique and work hard to build muscle in the gym. It is a limit how much your body can "build" per year so to speak so you can't have everything. Once in a full moon there will come a guy like Del Potro that seems to have the entire package <20. Maybe also count Nadal in there who was also a physical freak at young age. Del Potro doesn't remind me of a kid like Wilander who could move in as a 17 year old and win a slam without having much power. Wilander would have been blown off the court if he came with that body today for example
MaxPower is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome