Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player. - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 92
                     
Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Federer losing 4 times in a row to Nadal at the French Open:

Isn't losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to the same player enough to discredit someone from being called the greatest of all-time? Personally I think YES. Even though Nadal is arguably one of the best clay court player ever, I'd say that if you are the "greatest player of all-time" you should be able to at least stand up for yourself and beat that person once! The surface thing is NOT an excuse! Personally if someone beats me 4 times in a row in the same grandslam, I would never call my self the greatest of all-time. If I was "the greatest", I would have made a statement to that other player and managed to find a way to beat him.

2008 Final - Federer lost 1-6, 3-6, 0-6
2007 Final - Federer lost 3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6
2006 Final - Federer lost 6-1, 1-6, 4-6, 6-7
2005 Semif - Federer lost 3-6, 6-4, 4-6, 3-6

In comparasion, things could have ended up the same way at Wimbledon, it was Federer's best surface and he's arguably one of the greatest players on grass, yet Nadal FOUND A WAY to beat him after losing 2 times in a row (the 2nd time because Nadal was injured). Nadal found a way to improve his grass court game to compete with the absolute best on that surface. If he had lost 4 times in a row at Wimbledon to Roger, it would be hard to call him "the greatest" but he managed to stop it and WIN and make it a pretty even interesting battle for years to come in that grandslam.

But Federer losing 4 times in a row mostly in finals to me means that he can't be the greatest. It's a VERY big deal that he can't compete with someone and FIND A WAY to beat him. Nadal did find a way to beat Roger in his own KINGDOM so surface is irrelevant! The greatest of all-time SHOULD FIND A WAY.

Btw, this isn't a "repetitive thread", it's a FAIR QUESTION and it would be nice to hear real opinions...
salut235 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,632
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.


HELLAS TT DAVIS CUP TEAM

Last edited by Ilovetheblues_86; 05-08-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline  
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 43
Posts: 188
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

I think we got it that you're a huge Nadal fan and you will never think Federer is the GOAT in your book, no matter what people say.

Now please stop opening thread after thread with the same boring statements ... they may come in different flavours but really you're ranting the same thing over and over.
Joao is offline  
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned!
 
its.like.that's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: sans domicile fixe
Posts: 34,169
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

:retard:
its.like.that is offline  
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 46
Posts: 3,574
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salut235 View Post
Federer losing 4 times in a row to Nadal at the French Open:

Isn't losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to the same player enough to discredit someone from being called the greatest of all-time? Personally I think YES. Even though Nadal is arguably one of the best clay court player ever, I'd say that if you are the "greatest player of all-time" you should be able to at least stand up for yourself and beat that person once! The surface thing is NOT an excuse! Personally if someone beats me 4 times in a row in the same grandslam, I would never call my self the greatest of all-time. If I was "the greatest", I would have made a statement to that other player and managed to find a way to beat him.

2008 Final - Federer lost 1-6, 3-6, 0-6
2007 Final - Federer lost 3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6
2006 Final - Federer lost 6-1, 1-6, 4-6, 6-7
2005 Semif - Federer lost 3-6, 6-4, 4-6, 3-6

In comparasion, things could have ended up the same way at Wimbledon, it was Federer's best surface and he's arguably one of the greatest players on grass, yet Nadal FOUND A WAY to beat him after losing 2 times in a row (the 2nd time because Nadal was injured). Nadal found a way to improve his grass court game to compete with the absolute best on that surface. If he had lost 4 times in a row at Wimbledon to Roger, it would be hard to call him "the greatest" but he managed to stop it and WIN and make it a pretty even interesting battle for years to come in that grandslam.

But Federer losing 4 times in a row mostly in finals to me means that he can't be the greatest. It's a VERY big deal that he can't compete with someone and FIND A WAY to beat him. Nadal did find a way to beat Roger in his own KINGDOM so surface is irrelevant! The greatest of all-time SHOULD FIND A WAY.

Btw, this isn't a "repetitive thread", it's a FAIR QUESTION and it would be nice to hear real opinions...
Are you by chance related to Rafa=Fed Killer.
luie is offline  
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Registered User
 
cmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,734
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I can't believe I'm going to say this but...I agree

I fail to see how the fact that Nadal is a better clay court player than Federer undermines the rest of the man's QUITE considerable achievements. Have you ever looked at his ATP page for 2006 playing activity? I think he lost...what? 5 matches that year? That impresses the bloody hell out of me, no matter whether Nadal beat him at RG. Let the man be.
cmurray is offline  
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 504
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
I can't believe I'm going to say this but...I agree

I fail to see how the fact that Nadal is a better clay court player than Federer undermines the rest of the man's QUITE considerable achievements. Have you ever looked at his ATP page for 2006 playing activity? I think he lost...what? 5 matches that year? That impresses the bloody hell out of me, no matter whether Nadal beat him at RG. Let the man be.
is ur name cheryll murray?
kingfederer is offline  
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 504
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
thats the look on laver's face when rafa was shredding fedexpress to utter bits. after that aussie open final federer was in bits. he was a bloody mess, rafa reduced fed to dust.
kingfederer is offline  
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM
country flag ys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,045
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

It's not as bad, as Rafa was vastly superior to Federer in each of those matches. Kafelnikov could be a bit unhappier about bumping into Guga each time he reached QF of RG three times in a row, and losing all three of them, and being a better player and in winning position in every single one of them on top of that..
ys is offline  
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Registered User
 
cmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,734
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfederer View Post
is ur name cheryll murray?
why do you want to know?

yes, btw.
cmurray is offline  
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,632
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfederer View Post
thats the look on laver's face when rafa was shredding fedexpress to utter bits. after that aussie open final federer was in bits. he was a bloody mess, rafa reduced fed to dust.
He is really happy then.

HELLAS TT DAVIS CUP TEAM
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline  
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 2,619
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Those monstrous nostrils enabled Laver to suck the oxygen out of opponents, which incidentally is how the sports term 'choking' came about.

Hold on tight, he's inhaling!

Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline  
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
Those monstrous nostrils enabled Laver to suck the oxygen out of opponents, which incidentally is how the sports term 'choking' came about.

Hold on tight, he's inhaling!
George Lucas later patented Laver's signature move, soon demonstrated by the late Darth Vader when employing the jedi 'choke hold' on some poor p!ss ant minion on the Death Star...

good man that Rodney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,139
                     
Re: Losing 4 times in a row in the same grandslam to one player.

I don't think anyone of any note is calling Federer the GOAT, its only his fans and some obsessed journalists. The actual former greats of the game are retracting their praise of Federer now that he's not the best of his era even.
vamosinator is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome