Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
finishingmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 23,352
                     
Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

potato showed the crowd their money's worth

Nole CYGS 2017
Copy this signature to join the bandwagon before it's too late.
finishingmove is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Betfair commentator was going off.

Fun match for sure, clever drop shots from Fat Albert. Starace was too passive on the big points.

Albert down 1-5 in the TB and Starace smashed his racquet after he lost the 1st set.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Pray For Death
 
Clay Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 66,890
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
potato showed the crowd their money's worth

good win for Albert. i am happy for him. Starace has some work to do.

Clay Death is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered User
 
Spadea TT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Piacenza, Italy
Age: 29
Posts: 4,218
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Ridiculous how Potito lost 1st set (that sp on 8-7 ), then broken to love in 1st game of the 2nd... Good chance missed for him.

--
Spadea TT is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered User
 
Henry Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,751
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Betfair commentator was going off.

Fun match for sure, clever drop shots from Fat Albert. Starace was too passive on the big points.

Albert down 1-5 in the TB and Starace smashed his racquet after he lost the 1st set.
yup. Potato dominated the early part of the breaker playing aggressive tennis and had 2 big forehand winners in the first 5 points. too passive after that as you say and he missed a great chance on set point at 8-7 when he played the short ball tentatively cc into fat albert's fh rather than putting it away down the line. albert came up with a good pass to save the set but he shouldn't have been given the opportunity. that was pretty close to a match point really because it's almost impossible to recover from losing a 1 hour 25 min set in those conditions. they had to delay between points several times because there were sand storms on court.
Henry Chinaski is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
yup. Potato dominated the early part of the breaker playing aggressive tennis and had 2 big forehand winners in the first 5 points. too passive after that as you say and he missed a great chance on set point at 8-7 when he played the short ball tentatively cc into fat albert's fh rather than putting it away down the line. albert came up with a good pass to save the set but he shouldn't have been given the opportunity. that was pretty close to a match point really because it's almost impossible to recover from losing a 1 hour 25 min set in those conditions. they had to delay between points several times because there were sand storms on court.
The few Italian fans that were present, were trying to get him going, then he went into passive. That short forehand for sure he should have drilled that down the line, because under pression Fat Albert is going to make the forehand, whereas with the backhand it's a good rally shot, though on the pass it isn't as good.

Those conditions won't be forgotten in a hurry and he lost serve at the start of the 2nd set hangover from blowing chances in the TB.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,136
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Good match I thought. Plenty of traditional clay court tennis and exchanges.

Starace though, can push Nadal and Fed on a good day but suck so hard on a bad one.
rocketassist is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered User
 
Bilbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lena-Land
Posts: 73,673
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

starace should retire from life
Bilbo is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Starace should definitely retire from life.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered User
 
Henry Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,751
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Good match I thought. Plenty of traditional clay court tennis and exchanges.
.
yeah I watched a couple of games of Blake Crivoi before I realised this was available on interactive and it was a god-send. players dealt with the conditions well and there was plenty of good point construction and fight on display.
Henry Chinaski is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,551
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
starace should retire from life
If every player you asked to retire from life actually did so, Benjamin Balleret would be top 50.
bjurra is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Registered User
 
roberthenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 3,059
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

good win Albert

Go Gaston Gaudio Andy Murray Richard Gasquet

Adrian Garcia Julio Peralta Thomaz Bellucci Leo Mayer

Forever Marcelo Rios - Pete Sampras - Tim Henman
roberthenman is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered User
 
Smoke944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,577
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
If every player you asked to retire from life actually did so, Benjamin Balleret would be top 50.
In all honesty, this may have been one of the funnier posts I've ever seen on MTF
Smoke944 is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 62
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
yup. Potato dominated the early part of the breaker playing aggressive tennis and had 2 big forehand winners in the first 5 points. too passive after that as you say and he missed a great chance on set point at 8-7 when he played the short ball tentatively cc into fat albert's fh rather than putting it away down the line. albert came up with a good pass to save the set but he shouldn't have been given the opportunity. that was pretty close to a match point really because it's almost impossible to recover from losing a 1 hour 25 min set in those conditions. they had to delay between points several times because there were sand storms on court.
actually Potato played a great set point. He ran Montanes all over the place before ripping a cross-court forehand approach. Albert just barely got there in time and had to go for broke from several yards outside the court, which he did to perfection with a down-the-line forehand pass.

Potato saved a match point at 5-4 in the second with similar heroics, but lost the match two points later.
Afleet Alex is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered User
 
meihaditalab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 26
Posts: 299
                     
Re: Montanes def Starace 7-6(8) 6-4

horrible weather. But some pretty good rallies considering the "shitty" weather

NaDaL 4 LiFe

Rafael Nadal :
1 Australian Open
1 Wimbledon
4 French Open
1 Olympic title
6 MAJOR TITLES --> 22 years old
meihaditalab is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome