How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,266
                     
How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

There is no secret that Federer doesn't like guys who stand up to him. Guys like Murray and Nadal have dominated him in the past few months. Murray still hasn't cut it in slam but Nadal has literally cracked Roger's soul. I don't know about you but I think those two Clay court finals against Nadal before the French Open really messed Roger up. He was up 4-0 and 4-1 in two sets and lost both 7-5. He was again up by a big margin in the second final and lost. Then French just took Roger's breath away and Wimbledon totally annihilated his confidence. I am not sure what AO does but it doesn't help.

How can Roger get back at Nadal? I doubt only adjustments will do. Does he need a tough coach like Wilander or Agassi? Or maybe he needs Reyes? Anyone who saw AO final could tell that Roger was just nervous, almost too nervous. The guy who won against Roddick would've beaten Nadal, but the guy who showed up in the final was a broken man. Can that be fixed or should Roger just pray to avoid the likes of Nadal and Murray for the rest of his career?

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Registered User
 
Albatros99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 301
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Federer has always struggled to beat Nadal even when the GOAT was not half the player he is now. Obviously the more defeats against the GOAT the less confidence the second GOAT will have when playing the GOAT. It is only natural and if anything it is going to get worse as Federer is starting to decline and the GOAT has not even peaked. This psychological burden and more esoteric explanations for Federer defeats against Nadal they seem to act as a pain killer for FedTards.
Albatros99 is offline  
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,266
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatros99 View Post
Federer has always struggled to beat Nadal even when the GOAT was not half the player he is now. Obviously the more defeats against the GOAT the less confidence the second GOAT will have when playing the GOAT. It is only natural and if anything it is going to get worse as Federer is starting to decline and the GOAT has not even peaked. This psychological burden and more esoteric explanations for Federer defeats against Nadal they seem to act as a pain killer for FedTards.
Funny. Nadal will never be the GOAT. He will probably end up with 10 or 11 slams but guys like Del Potor, Monfils, Murray, Djokovic, and many others will start challenging him. Your problem is that you think after Fed is gone Rafa will just mow through the the field. I really can see 2 more French, 1 or 2 Wimbledons and 1 or 2 Hard court slams in Nadal's future, nothing more than that. But we shall see. If Roger somehow wins 15, it'd be hard for Nadal to be called the GOAT, even if he finishes with a 30-6 record against Roger

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 AM
F***ing have it
 
alfonsojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Barranquilla (COL)
Age: 40
Posts: 16,870
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

More tennis, less show. For being the GOAT, his lack of tactics was embarrasing. He lacks approach shots, his slice was gone. It was wrong tactics + lack of balls + the useless aditional pressure he puts on himslef being the spokeswhore of every brand available. Pocahontas lost deep on his shots and still the scared swiss just hit them back. The only nice variation, the drop shots. And the spaniard returns it was a great moment to try more S&V and Roger didn't. Nadal didn't played particularly great. This was not an epic macth, but he showed balls. Crying Fed saw the window to beat Nadal to get the 14th slam and he panicked. a GOAT would have died fighting

"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another" .. Madonna

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline  
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Registered User
 
sheeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 596
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

I'd just like to point out that right now a LOT more people than Federer are having trouble cracking Nadal's puzzle.

I still believe in the one-handed backhand.
sheeter is offline  
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,417
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

He can't change his style of play. He has to live with it but make the best out of it. Should go back to the basic and practice x1000.

Somebody has to talk to him through his thick skull. Who can coach him? I don't think there are too many smart coaches. [But he has to make up his mind and accept that he needs a coach first and foremost]. He might listen to Agassi, because Roger still respects him. Wilander, don't think so. Cahill, may be.

Or, just accept the fact that he's getting older and not as sharp as before. Just learn from how former number #1s survive their life before deciding to retire.

BUT, most important of all, he needs a shrink. Or, just punch cardboard Nadal picture 100 times/day.
swebright is offline  
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 799
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
There is no secret that Federer doesn't like guys who stand up to him. Guys like Murray and Nadal have dominated him in the past few months. Murray still hasn't cut it in slam but Nadal has literally cracked Roger's soul. I don't know about you but I think those two Clay court finals against Nadal before the French Open really messed Roger up. He was up 4-0 and 4-1 in two sets and lost both 7-5. He was again up by a big margin in the second final and lost. Then French just took Roger's breath away and Wimbledon totally annihilated his confidence. I am not sure what AO does but it doesn't help.

How can Roger get back at Nadal? I doubt only adjustments will do. Does he need a tough coach like Wilander or Agassi? Or maybe he needs Reyes? Anyone who saw AO final could tell that Roger was just nervous, almost too nervous. The guy who won against Roddick would've beaten Nadal, but the guy who showed up in the final was a broken man. Can that be fixed or should Roger just pray to avoid the likes of Nadal and Murray for the rest of his career?
So Federer was up significantly on Nadal in those two clay court finals... And yet, you say adjustments won't do, even though your post serves as evidence that Federer does have the tennis game to overcome Nadal, but is lacking the mental game.

What he needs, more than anything, is a mental adjustment. I am not sure how that is done. By the way, I am not discounting Nadal's game or dominance over Federer as simply something due to Federer not being confident enough... I mean, part of Nadal's package is how relentless he is... He wears down opponents, physically and mentally.

I feel that Roger loses to him because he gets mentally worn down, and so then his game goes, too. Federer always seems to give in mentally to Nadal.
dmit424 is offline  
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose View Post
More tennis, less show. For being the GOAT, his lack of tactics was embarrasing. He lacks approach shots, his slice was gone. It was wrong tactics + lack of balls + the useless aditional pressure he puts on himslef being the spokeswhore of every brand available. Pocahontas lost deep on his shots and still the scared swiss just hit them back. The only nice variation, the drop shots. And the spaniard returns it was a great moment to try more S&V and Roger didn't. Nadal didn't played particularly great. This was not an epic macth, but he showed balls. Crying Fed saw the window to beat Nadal to get the 14th slam and he panicked. a GOAT would have died fighting
Good points.

Federer is too stubborn. He definitely has the game to win, but he can't get his head around the fact that Nadull is just another mediocre moonballer off clay. He dominated every set except for the last one in the match. The third set was the most pathetic of them all, because he had like 6 break points, was dominating most rallies, and still couldn't close the deal. When he went to the TB, he collapsed mentally. Just when you'd expect him to be stronger, considering the played the whole set much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebright View Post
He can't change his style of play. He has to live with it but make the best out of it. Should go back to the basic and practice x1000.

Somebody has to talk to him through his thick skull. Who can coach him? I don't think there are too many smart coaches. [But he has to make up his mind and accept that he needs a coach first and foremost]. He might listen to Agassi, because Roger still respects him. Wilander, don't think so. Cahill, may be.

Or, just accept the fact that he's getting older and not as sharp as before. Just learn from how former number #1s survive their life before deciding to retire.

BUT, most important of all, he needs a shrink. Or, just punch cardboard Nadal picture 100 times/day.
Federer doesn't respect Agassi more than he respects any other person. He dominated Agassi like a junior in his last days on tour.

The only guys Federer still respects are Sampras and Laver. Laver won't coach him, but Sampras might.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Registered User
 
bobbynorwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,429
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Fed needs a coach. Then there's someone else to blame for a loss which takes the pressure off him.
bobbynorwich is offline  
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,518
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
The only guys Federer still respects are Sampras and Laver. Laver won't coach him, but Sampras might.
I think he still respects Borg as he refers to Borg as the king of the game.
MalwareDie is offline  
post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 581
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Maybe he should ask nadal? I bet nadal would give him the answer.
peterparker is offline  
post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Daniel Brands
Posts: 2,945
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post

Federer is too stubborn.
Exactly. Federer this that he shouldn't HAVE to change his game which is a direct byproduct of his arrogance/self-confidence or however you want to spin it. He is losing, but judging by his press conferences and the way he keeps playing the same way against Nadal he thinks that if he does everything right using his current game then he doesn't need to try anything different.

What is even more sad is that Federer isn't a one-dimensional player. He HAS the tools to give Nadal different looks and try some new shots, but he doesn't. For now, he is a player who has been in four straight major finals losing three of them to Nadal. His confidence isn't where it should be now and that is going to make it even harder for Federer to take risks or maybe with all eyes firmly on Nadal (if there was ever any doubt after the Wimbledon/OG double) he will feel pressure lifted and raise his game.

Who knows. Obviously, Federer is capable of beating anyone. He isn't getting blown away off clay. Losing 9:7 in the 5th and going down again in the 5th set albeit with a lot less resistance. Nadal, at the moment, just has what seems to be an unassailable mental edge now.
Serenidad is offline  
post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
country flag gjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 570
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Federer was the most nervous in a slam final than I've ever seen him. Not sure what his problem was. Playing in front of Laver, equaling the slam record or just scared of Nadal? Maybe all 3. Fed said his 1st serve was off and it was but against anyone else maybe except Murray and Roger has 14. He didn't appear to be this nervous in last years FO. just consigned himself to losing, another thing he never does.

Whatever is going on in Feds mind he needs to sort it out because they are odds on to play at the years FO, should meet in the Wimbly final and if Fed loses both of those again, i dunno, he maybe be shot to pieces before the USO.
gjr is offline  
post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered User
 
MariaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42,003
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
The only guys Federer still respects are Sampras and Laver. Laver won't coach him, but Sampras might.
Pete would help Roger to break his own record?

FAN OF THE BEAUTY
MariaV is offline  
post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 51
Posts: 1,555
                     
Re: How Can Federer Solve Nadal's Puzzle?

What Fed needs is to win agains Nadal is: variation, agression, patience and keeping his cool. His tennis is definitely good enough to beat Rafa.

Federer: Lord of the Strings (quote borrowed from another MTF-poster)
Safin: His Royal Dork-ness
Hewitt: Mowing a lawn near you
Kuerten: tennis in the shape of a heart
Ollie Rochus: the lil'man that broke Karlovic
Hagar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome