The GOAT discussions Thread - Page 278 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Should the GOAT argument be only a question of numbers?
Yes. 97 32.33%
Other factors (like competition and style of play) should be considered. 203 67.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4156 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,445
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Djokovic is as close to being involved in the GOAT discussion as Lemaitre was to winning the 200 m yesterday.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4157 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Do you know what is the difference between fact and opinion?



Telling someone that he or she lacks common sense is an personal attack. You have been reported to the moderators.



Personal attack is trolling. You've been doing this a long time on the MTF, and I guess it is only a matter of time before you are permanently banned.



Calling someone irrational is an personal attack. You have been reported to the moderators.




Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Is that proof?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that what they said is not what they really think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that what they said is not what they really think? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that what they said is not what they really think? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that what they said is not what they really think? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Do you have actual proof that what tennis experts say is not what they really think? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Do you have actual proof that what tennis experts say is not what they really think? Yes or no?

Do you claim I believe everything I see and hear on TV and on the web?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Do you claim I believe everything I see and hear on TV and on the web? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Do you claim I believe everything I see and hear on TV and on the web? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have got proof that I believe everything I see and hear on TV and on the web? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Can you say where is it exactly in this thread? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Can you quote one of my posts, and then produce logical explanation why is that post sufficient evidence that I believe everything I see and hear on TV and on the web? Yes or no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that your claim is a fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that your claim is a fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that your claim is a fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that your claim is a fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Have you got proof that your claim is a fact?
Is there a pattern on display here?

Last edited by BigJohn; 08-10-2012 at 06:42 PM.
BigJohn is offline  
post #4158 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Registered User
 
Roy Emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,769
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Djokovic will not be included on any GOAT discussions until he has 10+ slams.

Players who have less than 10 slams are never mentioned on any GOAT discussions.
Roy Emerson is offline  
 
post #4159 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 41
Posts: 2,666
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
Djokovic will not be included on any GOAT discussions until he has 10+ slams.

Players who have less than 10 slams are never mentioned on any GOAT discussions.
...and that, my friends, is a fact.!!!

Seriously, though, it's pretty clear that Djokovic, for all his awesome tennis in the last couple years (especially 2011), is some way short of greatness in the world of tennis. It is my view he's not far off though. It's clear that historically, player greatness is measured in slam performances. Quite rightly too...when the memory of the actual playing fades, the records remain.
Han Solo is online now  
post #4160 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 53
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Is Monaco qualified to be in the GOAT discussion?

No but I have no proof that my claim is a fact
Deep Return is offline  
post #4161 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
 
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Had he won Roland Garros then I'm sure he would certainly be in this debate and possibly the most qualified for the title but at the moment, definitely not. IMO his 2011 season is the greatest tennis season I've ever seen but he's on five Slams at the moment, Nadal has more double that. If he gets to 8 Slams beating the likes of Federer, Nadal and Murray en route than he is certainly qualified to be in the discussion IMO and if he manages to win RG beating Nadal in the final then there's not much more he can do.
Arora is offline  
post #4162 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 53
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora View Post
Had he won Roland Garros then I'm sure he would certainly be in this debate and possibly the most qualified for the title but at the moment, definitely not. IMO his 2011 season is the greatest tennis season I've ever seen but he's on five Slams at the moment, Nadal has more double that. If he gets to 8 Slams beating the likes of Federer, Nadal and Murray en route than he is certainly qualified to be in the discussion IMO and if he manages to win RG beating Nadal in the final then there's not much more he can do.
Novak Djokovic 2011:* 70-6, 10 titles, 3 Grand Slams + SF, 5 Masters 1000s
Roger Federer 2006:* 92-5, 12 titles, 3 Grand Slams + F, 4 Masters 1000s, TMC
Deep Return is offline  
post #4163 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
 
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Djokovic 2011:
AO - semi final vs Roger Federer and final vs Andy Murray
RG - semi final defeat to Roger Federer
Wimbledon - semi final vs Tsonga and final vs Rafa Nadal
US Open - semi final vs Roger Federer and final vs Rafa Nadal

Federer 2006:
AO - semi final vs Kiefer and final vs Baghdatis
RG - semi final vs Nalbadian (1 set all, retire) and final defeat to Nadal
Wimbledon - semi final vs Bjorkman and final against a 20-year-old clay court specialist Nadal
US Open - semi final vs Davydenko and final vs Andy Roddick

IMO Nole's 2011 Slam record was more impressive, look at his standard of opposition. He also beat Nadal on clay twice in finals. After the completion of the US Open in 2011, Nole's record for the season was 64-2 (one of the losses being a retirement). For Roger Federer in 2006, the record was 71-5. Admittedly Nole's performances dipped but that was after the last Slam tournament where he was visible struggling even in the final. Both phenomenal seasons but for me Nole's was greater.
Arora is offline  
post #4164 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 53
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Tennis is not only slams.
92-5 >>> 72:6 (basic math)

Record from Start of Year to Wimbledon:

Djokovic:* 41-1
Federer: 44-4

Record from Wimbledon to Masters Cup:
Djokovic:* 29-5
Federer:* 48-1

So you are confirming that Nole had no consistency and even his greatest season was actually half season.

And it is funny hoe is Nadal clay court specialist when it is convenient. In other cases he is all round player.

So for me Fed 2006 the best but Nole had great season too. Too sad he is not able to anywhere near to it like Fed did for couple of years.
Deep Return is offline  
post #4165 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
 
duarte_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11,380
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

There are still people who believe djokovic's 2011 > Roger's 2006.... What has the world come to?!

djokovic tards (I'm only adressing these because they must be the only ones that believe such crap) just be happy that djokovic had that fluke year and won what he did.

Being second to Roger is a honor in itself.

Last edited by duarte_a; 08-11-2012 at 12:13 PM.
duarte_a is offline  
post #4166 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 25
Posts: 16,539
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

If Nole can win Toronto he's right up there IMO.

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 10 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #4167 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User
 
finishingmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 23,607
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
Being behind Roger is a honor in itself.
Sounds like you'd be honored to have it the other way around as well

Nole CYGS 2017

Nole CYGS 2018
Copy this signature to join the bandwagon before it's too late.
finishingmove is offline  
post #4168 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User
 
Alaricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,160
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Do you know what is the difference between fact and opinion?

Quote:
Is there a pattern on display here?
You've been banned several times for trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
5555, are you more interested in semantics or do you actually believe Djokovic with his current results is qualified to be in the GOAT discussion?
I say it's not a fact that Djokovic must win at least 10 slams to be in the GOAT discussion.
Alaricus is offline  
post #4169 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User
 
TennisOnWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,040
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora View Post
Had he won Roland Garros then I'm sure he would certainly be in this debate and possibly the most qualified for the title but at the moment, definitely not. IMO his 2011 season is the greatest tennis season I've ever seen but he's on five Slams at the moment, Nadal has more double that. If he gets to 8 Slams beating the likes of Federer, Nadal and Murray en route than he is certainly qualified to be in the discussion IMO and if he manages to win RG beating Nadal in the final then there's not much more he can do.
Than you need to learn something about Mac's '84 season.. on 4 different surfaces, and Indoor too

HIC IACET ARTHURUS REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS — "Here lies Arthur, the once and future king."
TennisOnWood is offline  
post #4170 of 5143 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
 
duarte_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11,380
                     
Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
Sounds like djokovic would be honored to have it the other way around as well
Fixed. Yes I really believe djokovic would love to have had a greater season than Roger. Guess he won't have it though. 2011 was certainly worse than Roger's 2006.

As for your post...

Thanks for the "contribution" to the thread.
duarte_a is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome