Several posters have requested to be kept informed of Yokozunatennis updates. The Banzuke for the Australian Open is now ready. Only 5 players enter the tournament with Sanyaku (champion) status, a record low that attests of the top dog's recent dominance:
- Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal as Yokozuna (=Grand Champions)
- Novak Djokovic as Ozeki (=Champion)
- Andy Murray as Sekiwake (=Junior Champion I)
- and Andy Roddick, a former Ozeki, as Komusubi (=Junior Champion II)
The top Maegashira (=non-champion) ranks are filled by:
- Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (former Sekiwake) and Gilles Simon at M1
- Juan Martin del Potro and James Blake at M2, and
- David Nalbandian and David Ferrer (both former Sekiwake) at M3
Andy Murray, who comes to Melbourne with a final participation at the US Open, would get promoted to Ozeki -- the 28th of the Open era -- if he reaches the semifinals.
As at every Slam, one or more Maegashira will probably break into the junior Sanyaku ranks at the AU Open. One to watch out for is Juan Martin del Potro, who reached the quarterfinals at the US Open and thus needs just another quarterfinal participation for a first-time Komusubi promotion.
For a more extensive preview--also of the ladies' tournament--and the full Banzuke follow the link in my signature.