Federer's 'weak' backhand - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In this world but not of it
Age: 37
Posts: 5,048
                     
Federer's 'weak' backhand

On the thread about whether Djokovic is the most complete player on our some poeple were saying that Federer is not as complete because he has an old school backhand blah blah blah. These people obviously have no idea what they were talking about. Roger has a touch on his backhand that is unheard of. See for yourself:

Federer Backhand

Last edited by ORGASMATRON; 12-22-2008 at 02:09 PM.
ORGASMATRON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
♥ eve ♥
 
R. Bachelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,868
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Welcome to MTF you'll soon enough learn that Federer is just an all serve mug lucky enough to play in the weakest tennis era ever
R. Bachelot is offline  
post #3 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered User
 
PiggyGotRoasted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 2,682
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

I agree that it is not his weakness but since his left hand doesnt touch the handle when he hits it he will drop out the top 500 tomorrow.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline  
post #4 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Fly away little pigeon
 
elessar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: not on vacation
Posts: 20,460
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

A lot of great Federer threads have been opened lately, keep up the good work.
elessar is offline  
post #5 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In this world but not of it
Age: 37
Posts: 5,048
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
Welcome to MTF you'll soon enough learn that Federer is just an all serve mug lucky enough to play in the weakest tennis era ever
You are wrong. I will never learn that because its simply not true. Its clear that you have no knowledge about tennis whatsoever and frankly im embarassed to be the same forum as you.
ORGASMATRON is offline  
post #6 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
♥ eve ♥
 
R. Bachelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,868
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanz33 View Post
You are wrong. I will never learn that because its simply not true. Its clear that you have no knowledge about tennis whatsoever and frankly im embarassed to be the same forum as you.
so rude
R. Bachelot is offline  
post #7 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In this world but not of it
Age: 37
Posts: 5,048
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexio92 View Post
I agree that it is not his weakness but since his left hand doesnt touch the handle when he hits it he will drop out the top 500 tomorrow.
Mmm, another odd post. Makes no sense whatsoever, is there anyone in this forum that knows tennis?
ORGASMATRON is offline  
post #8 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In this world but not of it
Age: 37
Posts: 5,048
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by elessar View Post
A lot of great Federer threads have been opened lately, keep up the good work.
Cheers, finally some hope
ORGASMATRON is offline  
post #9 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered User
 
PiggyGotRoasted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 2,682
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanz33 View Post
Mmm, another odd post. Makes no sense whatsoever, is there anyone in this forum that knows tennis?
Yeh I know tennis, its that game where 2 players play over a net with a small court indoors hitting a shuttlecock to each other.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline  
post #10 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered User
 
miura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trondheim/Sydney
Age: 27
Posts: 9,966
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

The reason while people are saying his backhand is weak is because all other aspects of his game is so complete, used to be anyway. For example in lot of the clay encounters against Nadal, his backhand has been the weakest link. But if you take his backhand and look at it separately, it's surely not a disadvantage but an all-round weapon. It's like turning up with a Impreza WRX STi in a drag race against a Zonda F, a Veyron and a Murcielago LP640, it's going to look hugely slow but compared to more down-to-earth cars, it's quite fast. I believe his backhand is sufficent to beat anyone if the rest of his game is above average. A lot of people with limited insight in tennis often does the mistake of labeling his backhand weak and this will go on forever as far as I reckon.

Roger Federer. Legend.
miura is offline  
post #11 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered User
 
zeleni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,190
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
Welcome to MTF you'll soon enough learn that Federer is just an all serve mug lucky enough to play in the weakest tennis era ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanz33 View Post
You are wrong. I will never learn that because its simply not true. Its clear that you have no knowledge about tennis whatsoever and frankly im embarassed to be the same forum as you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
so rude


Gioco Giocovich
zeleni is offline  
post #12 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,947
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanz33 View Post
You are wrong. I will never learn that because its simply not true. Its clear that you have no knowledge about tennis whatsoever and frankly im embarassed to be the same forum as you.
Ruanz : you didn't understand that Antonius was just ironic.
Probably he/she likes Federer like you.

He/she just wanted to warn you about the way it goes in this kind of forum.

And besides, he/she welcame you very cheerfully (look at the smilies). Looks very nice indeed.

You need to be very open-minded and ready to read things you don't like in these sites.

useless old guy
duong is offline  
post #13 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,303
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Federer's backhand is his weakness, no matter what you say, it is by far the most fragile part of his game. That's basically the reason why he hasn't got a French Open to his name already, barring this year when he was just not really his normal self and played horrible in the final. Put him up against pretty much anybody apart from the top 4 and his backhand will look good. The real test is when he faces the likes of Nadal and Djokovic. It breaks down, because of the consistency of their groundstrokes and the fact that he knows it's his weakness. Looked to me at the start of the clay swing that he had tried to change it a little with the help of Higueras, but it didn't last for long and it was as bad as ever.

It doesn't matter what you say but when it comes down to the end of slams when he needs to play his best tennis, i've seen it look the weakest shot on court. It's not an awful shot, in most cases it's a good shot, but that really doesn't cut it when he's aging, he's getting worse and he's still chasing Sampras slam record and I have a feeling if he doesn't salvage some form from the last few years, then things are only going to get tougher with a few more guys coming round the corner who can trouble him.

You can show highlights reel after reel over his backhand, but that doesn't explain the full story, they are highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
...was properly educated by my parents, so i think before i write something stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline  
post #14 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 PM
♥ eve ♥
 
R. Bachelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 40,868
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Those who think Fed's backhand is weak need to rewatch the 06 TMC semis or some of the 07 AO
R. Bachelot is offline  
post #15 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44
                     
Re: Federer's 'weak' backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanz33 View Post
You are wrong. I will never learn that because its simply not true. Its clear that you have no knowledge about tennis whatsoever and frankly im embarassed to be the same forum as you.
I agree that there's no need to get all worked up, he was being ironic, not attacking you or Federer. I think this is a case of cultural misunderstanding.
Roseisarose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome