Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Is it a record ? ~ Spain for # of consecutive Grand Slams with at least 2 QF players
With Robredo losing today at the Round of 16, there will not be two or more players from Spain at the Quarterfinals of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time since the US Open 2006. As a result, the streak stops at 7.
Does anyone know if any other country achieved that before? I guess the USA (or maybe Sweden too) might have managed to do that before, but taking into account how the Americans usually perform at Roland Garros... Spain may actually hold the record.
Here it is:
7. Wimbledon 2008: Nadal, Lopez (2)
6. Roland Garros 2008: Nadal, Almagro, Ferrer (3)
5. Australian Open 2008: Nadal, Ferrer (2)
4. US Open 2007: Ferrer, Moya (2)
3. Wimbledon 2007: Nadal, Ferrero (2)
2. Roland Garros 2007: Nadal, Moya, Robredo (3)
1. Australian Open 2007: Nadal, Robredo (2)
Nadal ~ Fish [Fisho] ~ Ferrero [Juancho] ~ Hewitt [Llautó] ~ Nalbandian
Q: Are you going to party tonight?
JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yes. Victories must be celebrated always.