General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
10nisfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 347
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

I think The Umpire has read This Thread...
10nisfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Seriously? You guys want the rule enforced to the letter every time? I doubt any player, not Rafa, not Federer, not anybody would be in favor of that. The time limit is there because there has to be a limit or else some players would take extreme advantage of the lack of one, but there always has and always will be (and always should be) room for discretion on the part of the umpires. To give you one of a dozen examples that spring to mind, say a player minorly tweaks an ankle or a knee, or takes an otherwise awkward fall, and decides not to call a trainer or can't call a trainer, but takes an extra 10 seconds to mentally/physically recover. According to you people that should mean an automatic warning/point penalty/default. I doubt many ATP players would agree with you on that.

Yes, I know that situation is different than Rafa (among many many others)going over by a whole 2-3 (or even 5! ZOMG!) seconds a few times throughout the match, but frankly the game of tennis would be incredibly lame if umpires started getting crazily anal about things so trivial. If a player feels "gamed" I doubt mant would let any supposed feelings of intimidation stop them from complaining when not doing so has such enormous consequences from an income, ranking, and pride perspective.

I think the analogy to traveling in basketball is quite apt. No one wants to watch a sport that is 100% faithful to 100% of the letter of the law 100% of the time.
merlin is offline  
post #138 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Registered User
 
oranges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,564
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

^^ I don't think Agassi thought it is trivial when he went to sit in a line judge's chair while waiting for Nadal to serve. You realize that one can be consistent without being anal? Umpire's exericise discretion on many different calls and would still do for time violations, meaning that they wouldn't call one if you twist your ankle, someone shouted in the crowd or whatever else is perceived as valid reason.

Last edited by oranges; 07-27-2008 at 08:41 AM.
oranges is offline  
post #139 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Registered User
 
Sebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 708
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Nadal bores me to death 90% because of that. The 10% left are for his game.

Go FedMug


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i can help Fed but he has to start reading MTF.
Sebby is offline  
post #140 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
^^ I don't think Agassi thought it is trivial when he went to sit in a line judge's chair while waiting for Nadal to serve. You realize that one can be consistent without being anal? Umpire's exericise discretion on many different calls and would still do for time violations, meaning that they wouldn't call one if you twist your ankle, someone shouted in the crowd or whatever else is perceived as valid reason.
Exactly. The player complained because at that point he felt he was being negatively affected by someone violating the rules. That works for me and it works for the vast majority of players, I reckon. Plenty of people here have as good as said that the umpire should call every single time violation, though, and that is simply a ridiculous idea. Personally, I think discretion also should be use when a players goes over only by a couple seconds or so and the other player clearly doesn't mind. As far as I'm concerned the spirit of the rule has still been observed in that case. No doubt this is likely an "agree to disagree" point, but no one will convince me that any sport would be better off if discretion was not allowed on minor rules such as this, even if it sometimes leads to "unfair" non rulings. Incidentally, that's also why I'm in favor of players calling their own lines, but that's another discussion
merlin is offline  
post #141 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered User
 
oranges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,564
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Exactly. The player complained because at that point he felt he was being negatively affected by someone violating the rules. That works for me and it works for the vast majority of players, I reckon.
This seems to be the point we disagree on the most. Agassi found a humorous way to indicate that it is way overboard. Most players won't react at all, but it doesn't mean it's not bothering them. It shouldn't be up to players to complain, it's the umpire's job.
It's not as if they have a clock and 1-2 seconds can be noted, an alarm would go off and a warning issued. It's about good judgment that would prevent such things as a regular occurrence. In my view, it would be far more efficient and less controversial to enforce it regularly, rather than disregard the issue for the most time and than issue one warning in an important match on an important point.
oranges is offline  
post #142 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered User
 
decrepitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 75
Posts: 3,147
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

I don't know what TV commentators have said, but the Masters Series livestream commentators said that it was only natural that the time warning would be on a big point, because that is precisely when Nadal usually takes the most time before serving.

.

Following ANDY MURRAY and all British tennis on http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/stats.html
(click on GB Tennis Forum)
decrepitude is offline  
post #143 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decrepitude View Post
I don't know what TV commentators have said, but the Masters Series livestream commentators said that it was only natural that the time warning would be on a big point, because that is precisely when Nadal usually takes the most time before serving.
Well,, that's commonsense that Nadal will take more time on a big point, he's not going to be too slow at 5-1 40-0 is he?

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #144 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Registered User
 
decrepitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 75
Posts: 3,147
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Well,, that's commonsense that Nadal will take more time on a big point, he's not going to be too slow at 5-1 40-0 is he?
I'm not denying that. I'm agreeing with the AMSTV people who said that Nadal complaining because it was always on big points that he got the warning was silly, because it is on big points that he usually takes too much time and that it therefore follows that it is then he gets warnings.

.

Following ANDY MURRAY and all British tennis on http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/stats.html
(click on GB Tennis Forum)
decrepitude is offline  
post #145 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decrepitude View Post
I'm not denying that. I'm agreeing with the AMSTV people who said that Nadal complaining because it was always on big points that he got the warning was silly, because it is on big points that he usually takes too much time and that it therefore follows that it is then he gets warnings.
Considering Nadal gets pulled up less than 1% of the time, he does it, it's quite funny he complains.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #146 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered User
 
Sebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 708
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

He's a cry baby.

Go FedMug


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i can help Fed but he has to start reading MTF.
Sebby is offline  
post #147 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

when will players grow some balls and do some timewasting themselves...

maybe on the brink of inevitable defeat, some clown can get defaulted for time watsing while playing against nadal... simply to prove a point...

of course... 2 wrongs dont make a right and this would against go the spirit of the game, otherwise known as a Novak Djokovic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
post #148 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered User
 
fast_clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ₫ṿﻁᶫỉᾔﺍᶏ
Posts: 15,727
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

i also think that an opponent calling 1 nadal foot fault every second service game would be an ideal way to rattle him...

of course... no one uses drugs on tour so this wont be happening...

well... almost no one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelvenluvJo View Post
why are you so seriously
fast_clay is offline  
post #149 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered User
 
RafaTheBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SPARTA!
Age: 27
Posts: 605
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
He's a cry baby.
If Rafa is a crybaby, what the hell does that make players like Roddick and Murray?

Nadal/Isner/Roddick/Karlovic/Querry/Verdasco

MADNESS???
THIS IS TENNIS!!!
RafaTheBest is offline  
post #150 of 252 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

this is the time to get him. took about 30 seconds for him to serve.
Stensland is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome