All the pics are here ---> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/adeegee2k/QueensPhotos
Firstly, you have to read my brief, uninteresting observations from today
- Hugely disappointing qualifying matches. I don't think any one player stood out. Simon Stadler looked great in his first match at points, but too inconsistent and I see he lost his 2nd round match.
- Biggest disappointment of the day was Mirnyi. A truly horrible performance against Udomchoke. I know his groundstrokes have never been brilliant, but today he looked worse than players I see at my club. Some 2nd serve returns were hitting the back fence. I like Max, but it's getting silly now, I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year as a singles player
- Adam Feeney had a couple of good wins today, it's the first time I've seen him but he looked good and seemed very comfortable at the net.
- Gilles Muller is an arsehole. Questioning almost every line call and asking the umpire for confirmation his shots were out even when you could see it a mile away. Also trying to sway line judges with shakes of the head, points etc. Glad he lost :retard:
- Frustrating loss for Jamie Muzza against Kubot. Poor tactics, his serve is a decent weapon on grass but he doesn't get into the net as often as he should. He's not great from the baseline, if I was him I'd play like Jonny Marray used to and just get to the net as soon as you can in every point. Mind you, he held his own until he played a horrific game at 5-6, double faulting twice in a row to blow the set.
- Enough of qualies....Bolelli was hitting with Kunitsyn and joking about Euro 2008. I'm slowly changing my mind about Bolelli, I said a while back I didn't think he'd ever be top 20, but he's got some talent.
- Verdasco and Lopez drew a big female crowd. Verdasco's injury still kind of puzzles me, he looked fine though. I must also commend him, surely one of the nicest guys on tour. Every time I see him with fans he always seems genuinely happy to take pictures/sign autographs, most other players do it but only because they feel they have to, you get the impression that he actually likes it.
- Hewitt/Bjorkman was a bit of a snorefest to be honest, as was Seppi with Vliegen, not the most thrilling sessions I've ever watched. Gonzo was with Lapentti on the next court, this was hardcore stuff
both were pretty much playing it like a proper match.
- Bobby GOAT was in fine form, dismantling Karlovic on the practice courts and then returning later to hand out a lesson to Muzza. On the subject of Muzza, he seemed to be serve-volleying 90% of the time which was interesting, I hope he'll bring it to matches. Also, I know I'm not neutral but a big
to him, spent a lot of time chatting, signing and taking pictures with fans.
- Not sure how Roddick's shoulder was, I don't think he was going 100% on his serves but he still looked ok, he was playing with Querrey. He was distinctly unimpressed by his young British fanboys who requested his hat, racquets, towel.....
- A big
to Andre Sa, without doubt the most entertaining guy on the practice courts. He was hilarious, he started commentating on Ginepri, describing his backhand slice as "Sampras like" and generally taking the piss.
- PHM is a pretty good footballer
(video coming). He was hitting with Grosjean. Seb doesn't really have it in him anymore, he's such a good guy though and he looks like he's having fun every time he's playing. Still has touches of class as well. Top guy.
- Safin and Ancic was fun, Marat was being a showman and playing up to the crowd as always. Ancic really needs to sort out this heavy breathing before and after he hits a shot, it's a lot more annoying than grunting. Troicki and Tipsy were also pretty entertaining, Janko was a lot more cheerful than I've seen him in the past and kept making fun of Troicki
- Gasquet seemed a bit happier than recent weeks, he was hitting with Mahut (who has better groundstrokes than I realised).
Nothing much else, I'll add a few pictures now.....