Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

All womens finals this weekend have been much more competitive than the mens so I don't where this myth of the mens tour being far superior in quality and competitiveness than the womens comes from. It's only a matter of time before Wimbledon joins the other slams, so I'm not that concerned with all these inconsequential arguments from the posters arguing for more money for the men. Thank god these posters have zero power to stop the winds of change.
Allez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen phillips
This has been fun but I can't see the point in continuing. You are my superior in all matters of logic and reasoning. Ta petal.
An absolutely classic way of trying to exit from an argument you have lost without losing your dignity. Trying to play the sarcasm card instead of trying to answer my post in the hope that others will think you have great wit. I'd prefer it if you gave it your best shot at replying to me even if you think I am your "superior in every way"

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #363 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:17 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 24,604
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen phillips
This thread is about the Slams
So why did you mention a couple of matches from this week in your argument?
Horatio Caine is offline  
post #364 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 378
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs
An absolutely classic way of trying to exit from an argument you have lost without losing your dignity. Trying to play the sarcasm card instead of trying to answer my post in the hope that others will think you have great wit. I'd prefer it if you gave it your best shot at replying to me even if you think I am your "superior in every way"
Would you "prefer" it? Life is full of disappointments.

PS

I lost my dignity the moment I deigned to engage with you, so not much left to save in my book. Live and learn (did I get this one right?).
helen phillips is offline  
post #365 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 564
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen phillips
Your assumption that the determination of quality is objectively rather than socially and historically determined is completely indefensible and profoundly ignorant.
In what way? Stop coming back with useless posts. Just accept that your wrong.
Allstar is offline  
post #366 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Would you "prefer" it? Life is full of disappointments.
Yes I would. I wouldn't call it a disappointment, I would say more that it just proves me right again. I am not trying to say I am definately correct in all I'm syaing but several people have agreed with me, none with you and now you can't even think of a response. Care to admit you were wrong now??

Quote:
I lost my dignity the moment I deigned to engage with you, so not much left to save in my book.
Oh stop, your wit is killing me
Quote:
Live and learn (did I get this one right?).
Only thing you've gotten right in this whole thread.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #367 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered User
 
gooner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 3,254
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez
That Hewitt vs Nalbandian final was such a joke. So are most of Federer's finals against Hewitt and Roddick (though I love watching Roger play whatever the result). I mean look at last years Wimbledon! I can remember the womens quarters. I can barely remember the mens. The semis as well (Williams vs Sharapova was one of the matches of the tournament). The women's final was so much more competitive than the mens. Don't just focus on the tournaments where the women played badly (or more accurately where Pierce froze).
The circumstances were totally unique for that match.
It was Nalbo's first ever Wimby, he played nearly all of his matches prior to the final on outside courts. Hewitt had an extra day's rest before the final because Nalbo and Malisse had to finish their match on the Saturday due to bad light.
Nalbo never got a chance to play a match on Centre Court before the final, and in the final he played Hewitt who at the time was the world No.1 and the far better grass-court player. These aren't excuses, they're facts. But I still wish Nalbo had put up a better performance that day but it wasn't to be.
Having said all that, Hewitt totally deserved the title.
So next time try and research the facts before calling a match a 'joke'.

Last edited by gooner88; 02-26-2006 at 11:13 PM.
gooner88 is offline  
post #368 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Registered User
 
Bagelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,651
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar
I understand your point but unfortunately life doesnt work like that. Even if women are performing to the best of their ability they will never be as good as men, which is directly related to entertainment and utility to the viewer. In an ideal world perhaps pay would be equal.
I think you're still not quite seeing it - high quality women's tennis is just as competitive and entertaining as men's tennis of similar quality. This is why in 3/4 slams, the women get paid the same as the men.

Even though people recognise the women's game might not have the same speed or strength as the men, there are more interesting rallies and greater use of strategy. Basically, the weapons are different due to the gender difference, but the entertainment value is still high.

As for the statement I highlighted, you might want to watch your words - you're getting onto very dangerous ground here. Speed and strength aren't everything, even within the men's game. Actually now that I think about it, that's what the problem is, you're still thinking of it as 'men vs. women' as opposed to 'one quality vs. a different quality'.

Here's my analogy: 'Picasso' vs. 'Rembrandt' . Totally different artists with different reasons as to why their work is so incredible, each offering something different, but of a suffiently high quality that you cannot call one 'better' or 'as good as' the other.

Emotions of a Safin fan


I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!
Bagelicious is offline  
post #369 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 100
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Women's tennis is very unpredictable right now. Can you say that about men's tennis? In women's tennis you got so many women that can win a major. On the ATP tour honestly and realistically speaking there are maybe 3 to 5 men that are real grand slam contenders. Sure there are upsets in men's tennis but at the end of the day its Federer, Nadal, Hewitt, Safin, Agassi..and that's it...no one else..maybe Roddick can be potential big event or slam winners. In women's tennis there are at least 10 to 15 women that have a realistic shot of winning a major. No one predicted that Anastasia Myskina or Svetlana Kuznetsova would win grand slams or Maria Sharapova would grab a major. On the ATP tour..last year Nadal's French Open title was not a surprise..Safin's win in Australia of course was an upset..but it was no shock..nor was it a shock that Hewitt reached the finals. So in a lot of ways men's tennis is the one that has less depth at the top in a lot of ways...And women's tennis is a lot more competitive. A lot of people also say that men's tennis is harder because they play best of five in a major. The men may play longer, however, in women's tennis in a grand slam you have to be ready RIGHT AWAY. You only got one set..to not play well and then you got to get it together. In some ways men have the advantage of losing two sets..and still being in the match. So, in relation to grand slam prize money I think its fair that the women get paid the same because fans come to slams to see women as well. Especially at the US OPEN in the United States..the people mainly come to see the top women players. Why do you think the women's US OPEN final is at night in Prime Time..its because women's tennis is more popular in America then men's tennis and gets higher ratings...
Jordanjames is offline  
post #370 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Registered User
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 496
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanjames
In women's tennis there are at least 10 to 15 women that have a realistic shot of winning a major.
At least 10-15? 5 or 6, more like. The Belgians and Mauresmo, to whom you may add Davenport and Sharapova, but only for Wimbledon.

Quote:
No one predicted that Anastasia Myskina or Svetlana Kuznetsova would win grand slams or Maria Sharapova would grab a major.
2004 was special and is unlikely to repeat itself. Clijsters missed RG, Wimbledon and the USO, JHH was knocked out early in RG and didn't play much for the rest of the season, Serena Williams missed the AO, and Mauresmo was still a choker.

MTF's resident WTA apologist
Corswandt is offline  
post #371 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:00 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
To the supporters of the WTA. Some questions. Where has there been an example of major international sports besides gymnastics where the women outdraw in more money through TV revenue, corporate sponsorship and respective ticket sales? It doesn't happen in football, not basketball, not volleyball and definitely not tennis, no beach volleyball doesn't count.
I'm not 100% sure but I know at some point, women volley ball matches were lots more entertaining than men's. At least in Summer Olympics, in Asia and North America, I saw lots more women than men volley ball matches. Reason? The men were too powerful and basically there's no defence at all.

Sorry straying from the thread
Lee is offline  
post #372 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:25 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I'm not 100% sure but I know at some point, women volley ball matches were lots more entertaining than men's. At least in Summer Olympics, in Asia and North America, I saw lots more women than men volley ball matches. Reason? The men were too powerful and basically there's no defence at all.

Sorry straying from the thread
I mean I watched womens volleyball and enjoyed it, but pro sport is a business and this aspect shouldn't be forgotten about.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #373 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Federerthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: french national residing in australia
Posts: 810
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

women's tennis is a crap joke

only gets media attention because of sex appeal

90% of players play the same - two-handed backhanded, trade powerful groundstrokes from baseline. so boring

matches are only good for getting a bite to eat while waiting for real entertainment to come along (men's matches), like an intermission

equal prize-money is ridiculous, feminist movements everywhere
Federerthebest is offline  
post #374 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:13 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Helen, who and what are you refering to exactly?

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #375 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 378
                     
Re: Difference between women's prize money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerthebest
matches are only good for getting a bite to eat while waiting for real entertainment to come along (men's matches), like an intermission
That is just how I feel when I see one of your posts. What a coincidence. Don't you have a cave you should be drawing on?
helen phillips is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome