Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 123 - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1831 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 13,023
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
How is it not the same? Are you kidding me? You work for a reward. If you have better results, you should get a bigger reward. That's the only fair thing to do. If not, tell me why isn't R1 loser getting the same money as the winner of a Slam? I'll tel you why, because results are rewarded, not effort. He exactly cares if Albert Ramos trains twice as much as Fed or Novak, nobody will give him the money for his efforts.
RESULTS, Slasher, RESULTS! You train to achieve results, effort isn't it's own goal, it never is in life. Nobody has an ambition to be 'the hardest working guy on tour' but everybody has an ambition to be the most successful.
Why aren't you getting this. Results are rewarded. You must get the same prize for the same result. You're basing your argument on a fail. That a women's R2 is worse than a men's R2. Which is wrong. It's like having two papers that are graded 98 and 78, although they deliver the same result, even though one of them is less elegant than the other. They both achieve the same result, so why would one get 78??? If a student takes a long path to solve an equation and another a shorter path, both students achieving the same result, they must get different grades, correct? That's your logic...
Slasher1985 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1832 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered User
 
uxyzapenje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: At home.
Posts: 5,351
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Let me take this another way.

Say you own a huge enterprise that produces sport shoes. After a few years a rival opens up a second factory that produces leisure shoes. The sport shoes are a success, but you're putting in a lot of money on the line, so the profit is getting smaller and smaller due to increased salaries and overtime working.

The leisure shoes sales are dwindling. Your rivals are basically idiots and think that they don't need to do anything. Their shoes will never be as good as the sport, so they decide to sit out and pay their employees much less, keeping the performance below average. What would be the option here? Increase the salaries of your employees, but keep the work time in check, in order to motivate your employees and encourage development and performance is the smart economist choice.

If players receive more money, they are encouraged to perform better in order to defeat the fail top players of WTA and take women's tennis to a whole new level.
Yes, and tell you employees 'Never mind that you achieve worse results, I'll just give you more money because you are less talented and aren't capable of making better shoes'. How is 'You don't need to work harder and produce better results, I'll just give you the money that the workers with better results form the other company are making, without the results' exactly motivating anyone to work harder?

Djokovic | Tipsarevic | Querrey
uxyzapenje is offline  
post #1833 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 13,023
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Yes, and tell you employees 'Never mind that you achieve worse results, I'll just give you more money because you are less talented and aren't capable of making better shoes'. How is 'You don't need to work harder and produce better results, I'll just give you the money that the workers with better results form the other company are making, without the results' exactly motivating anyone to work harder?
How about 'I believe in you. This is my investment into the future. I know you can take this to a whole new level.'
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #1834 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered User
 
afterglows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,360
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
Cannot believe you dismissed that argument like this. Virtually every job in the world you are paid on an hour-by-hour basis. What makes tennis, specifically, women's tennis exempt from this basic business principle?
Are you serious with that? A tennis player really can't be compare to a guy who works at a factory. Tennis is a spectacle nowadays. Do you really think that people in the entertainment business are paid on an hour-by-hour basis? Do you think that an actor who plays in a 3 hours movie will necessarily get paid more than an actor who plays in a 1h30 movie? Is a musician get paid more for a longer gig?

And as far as as know men players are paid the same if they play 3 or 5 sets.

The "they play more" argument doesn't really seem relevant to me.

Gasquet ● B.Baker ● Soderling ● Wawrinka ● Federer ● Goffin ● Sijsling ● Youzhny ● Thiem ● Gulbis ● Mahut ● Brown ● F.Mayer ● Tomic

_____________________
~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
afterglows is offline  
post #1835 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,259
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Let's just say summarise this discussion and say women in tennis are overpaid .


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #1836 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
uxyzapenje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: At home.
Posts: 5,351
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
How about 'I believe in you. This is my investment into the future. I know you can take this to a whole new level.'
And how about 'I don't care that you suck at your job, I'll just give you the money.'

Look Slasher, if we look at ATP and the WTA as separate tours, they can give them all the money in the world. But the problem is that WTA players aren't just asking for 'more money'. They are asking for 'the same amount of money ATP players get'. Using your example with companies and stuff, I would have to talk about syndicates and people from the same line of work from different companies but members of the syndicate asking for fair and equal wages and then you have company owners and their interest and so on and so on. I really don't have the time to go that deep.

If you wanna talk that way, sure, 1 owner can pay their workers as much as they want for worse results and the other can pay less for better results, they both choose what's best for their companies. But we are talking about fairness here. Without going deeper and explain myself why I think giving them the same money for worse results isn't motivating them and why they won't 'take it to the next level' (it's pretty obvious, tho, but I'm not going to discuss it further in case you have counter arguments), my mere point is that it's not fair for someone to be payed more for worse results. This is not economics that I'm discussing here, it's fairness. If you wanna talk economics, we will talk another time, I really don't have the time for that right now, and tbh, it's boring, I come here for fun...

Djokovic | Tipsarevic | Querrey

Last edited by uxyzapenje; 01-31-2013 at 09:07 PM.
uxyzapenje is offline  
post #1837 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 13,023
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Let's just say summarise this discussion and say women in tennis are overpaid .
The majority in this topic has voted for that anyway. Was just trying to bring more "stamina" into the thread. It's MTFs POV.

afterglows, with that actor thing, you remind me that George Clooney is a very well paid actor, who, for most of us mortals, delivers very high quality movies, which are most of always awarded. I can't stand the guy at all. That is how subjective this "don't pay women more because their tennis sucks compared with men" really is.

GOAT = Fed, uxyzapenje, let's agree to disagree here, and let's not drag this any further.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #1838 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,281
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Let's just say summarise this discussion and say women in tennis are overpaid .
Yup. They get paid way more than circus performers basically for the same job

The standard of 'tennis' is horrendous: just bash, bash and bash harder, close your eyes and pray it lands in and whoever has more natural power wins by default more often than not. Add in relentless mental clowning/muggery and you have the WTA. Where's the incentive to improve the level of tennis if they get paid the same as men for playing like absolute mugs?

MTF games titles:

Suicide Tennis (5): Wimbledon 2014, World Tour Finals 2015, Madrid 2015, Kuala Lumpur 2014 and Metz 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 WTF, 1 Masters 1000, 2 ATP 250; 2 finals lost

Fill-in-the-Draw (3): US Open 2014, Rotterdam 2013 and Geneva 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 ATP 500 and 1 ATP 250

Tennis Tipping (3): Veneza and Todi 2014 (with vn01), Knoxville 2015 (with Redkop) - 3 challengers; 7 finals lost
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #1839 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 13,023
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
it's not fair for someone to be payed more for worse results
With this I will end this discussion.

It's not worse results. It's the same results. Winning a Grand Slam. The solution differs though. I'm a programmer, and I know how solutions to problems may differ. In some cases it's annoying to have inelegant solutions because programs run slower, but almost every time, a working program is a working program, no matter how inelegant your code is. Now, what if my boss comes in and says. "See, I'm not going to pay you as the rest of your team, because your part of the code... it's shit. The program works, but... I don't like it how you use "ifs" all the time."
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #1840 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered User
 
uxyzapenje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: At home.
Posts: 5,351
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
With this I will end this discussion.

It's not worse results. It's the same results. Winning a Grand Slam. The solution differs though. I'm a programmer, and I know how solutions to problems may differ. In some cases it's annoying to have inelegant solutions because programs run slower, but almost every time, a working program is a working program, no matter how inelegant your code is. Now, what if my boss comes in and says. "See, I'm not going to pay you as the rest of your team, because your part of the code... it's shit. The program works, but... I don't like it how you use "ifs" all the time."
Come on Slasher, you are better than this.


The goal in programming is to make a working and as much as possible fast-running program. If it does it's job, it's a good program.

The goal in tennis isn't to 'win Slams'. You can put 128 random MTF posters play a Slam and 1 is due to win it. So you are telling me that's the same, we still got our Slam winner.
It's like have a team of programmers that can't even write if a>b then a:=b, and you know how to use for a:= from 1 to b do c:=c+a. Hence, you are the best programmer in your team, you can win your company's 'programmer's Grand Slam', but your team still sucks ass and you don't deserve to be payed as programmers in other companies. Again, deserve, your company owner can give you millions if he thinks that will somehow bring him wanted results.



Over and out, see you later peeps.

Djokovic | Tipsarevic | Querrey

Last edited by uxyzapenje; 01-31-2013 at 09:24 PM.
uxyzapenje is offline  
post #1841 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,259
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yup. They get paid way more than circus performers basically for the same job

The standard of 'tennis' is horrendous: just bash, bash and bash harder, close your eyes and pray it lands in and whoever has more natural power wins by default more often than not. Add in relentless mental clowning/muggery and you have the WTA. Where's the incentive to improve the level of tennis if they get paid the same as men for playing like absolute mugs?
Yup, I was pleasantly surprised at how competitive the women's final seemed to be (I saw the score ) but apart from that all QF and SFs were straight sets and NID except Serena getting injured . Even if ATP is not much better, men's tennis is actually in a bad place right now (IMHO) and it still is better. What does that say about the women bashers?


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #1842 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 13,023
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
The goal in tennis isn't to 'win Slams'. You can put 128 random MTF posters play a Slam and 1 is due to win it. So you are telling me that's the same, we still got are Slam winner.
Some people believe it is. That's why I said this is subjective. In fact, this is how tennis started after all, back in 1877 when the first Slam was played by amateurs.

But as I said, I am saying nothing more.

I really like most MTFers and I don't like dragging arguments to the point where the atmosphere is threatened to become unfriendly.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #1843 of 1898 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered User
 
August's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 5,473
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yup. They get paid way more than circus performers basically for the same job

The standard of 'tennis' is horrendous: just bash, bash and bash harder, close your eyes and pray it lands in and whoever has more natural power wins by default more often than not. Add in relentless mental clowning/muggery and you have the WTA. Where's the incentive to improve the level of tennis if they get paid the same as men for playing like absolute mugs?
Well, no matter how hard they would train, best female players will always be worse than ATP Challenger players, or otherwise men's tennis is in crisis. So pure quality will never be the reason to follow WTA.

And actually I think that clowning is almost crucial for WTA. WTA is a different product to ATP, people watch it partly for different reasons. Diehard WTA fans seem to love all that clowning, muggery, etc, which on the other hand is a reason why I don't like WTA too much. And of course muggery isn't the only reason to watch WTA. The game of Federer, Llodra, etc. is definitely a rarer beauty than any WTA player but I rather watch Lisicki than Simon-Monfils.

So ATP & WTA are different products. And outside slams ATP and WTA players get money as much as their tours' revenues enable, i.e. more for men than women.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion | 2015 French Open Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion

My Twitter
August is offline  
post #1844 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,302
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
Could mods sticky my response. I've pretty much single handedly dismantled nearly all of the pro equal pay arguments.

If you think so

As arrogant as your fave

Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
post #1845 of 1898 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

I would like to see women play 5 setters from QF. That will surely expose zero fitness mugs plaguing the WTA tour right now. Then equal prize money is somewhat justified.
Topspindoctor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome