Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 120 - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1786 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Mateja Seppieva
 
Mateya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seppi's comfy hotel room
Age: 31
Posts: 8,239
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

WTA players should get about 10-20% less prize money in grand slams.
Simple as that.



Mateya's FAQ
: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/0120/sc2-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene*, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, Tina Maze, PETER PREVC,
Umag
WTA tour: Association of tennis players without variety, defensive skills and with random winners.
Mateya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1787 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,149
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
You are right about the female players giving their maximum effort but it still doesn't change the fact that a higher abundance of their top players participate in the doubles event than the males. There has to be a reason for this

There are hardly any top WTA players who regularly play doubles events; which top players do you mean?

Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
post #1788 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered User
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,149
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
WTA players should get about 10-20% less prize money in grand slams.
Simple as that.


And should they get the same money in non-Slams?


Monaco - Del Potro - Nadal - Wawrinka - Robredo - Simon - Berdych - Dimitrov - Chardy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Djokovic is the people's champion, Federer and Nadal are greedy thugs.
Matt01 is offline  
post #1789 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Where did he say this?
http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/157992.html

Quote:
Murray, after beating Ivo Karlovic on Thursday, preferred not to wade in with an opinion, instead pointing out a different issue in the debate. The British No. 1 highlighted that, due to the fact women play shorter matches than men, they have the option to boost their income by taking part in the doubles.

"For the women, it's much easier to play singles and doubles, so therefore more chance to make money that way, because there's very few of the singles guys that have a chance or a realistic shot of winning the event will be playing doubles here," Murray said.

"At the French Open Sara Errani made the final in singles and won the doubles because it's not best-of-five sets. It's the same thing here [at Wimbledon]. It's five sets in the singles, five sets in the doubles [for the men], so even less guys are going to play [both].

"There's things that we will agree on. It's not always just about equal pay, it's about the way the men's and women's tournaments differ."
Some excellent points brought up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
There really isn't much money in doubles. I haven't checked for this year, but I know in 2010, the prize money for a doubles team that won the tournament without losing in RR was less than the amount a singles player got for playing one round robin match. And the doubles players have to share.
I'm mainly talking grand slams and the winners of the Australian Open doubles event receive $454,500. Split that in half and each player gets the equivalent of a grand slam singles quarter finalist for both genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
There are hardly any top WTA players who regularly play doubles events; which top players do you mean?
Again, I'm primarily talking about the slams. The Williams sisters regularly partake in the doubles events and as you would hopefully know, emerge victorious quite frequently. Errani made the singles and doubles final of Roland Garros this year. World number one Azarenka plays a lot of doubles as well. Can you imagine Djokovic and Federer playing grand slam doubles? Radwanska, Stosur, Petrova and Kirilenko also find themselves in the business end of grand slam doubles several times as well.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #1790 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
And should they get the same money in non-Slams?

Yes.

Or make women's matches best of 5 in slams. I remember women's YEC with some very good 5 setter, so they can definitely play best of 5. Of course in today's era that statement is certainly questionable with all the no fitness mugs on WTA who get tired after 1 set.
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #1791 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,505
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Then we should rename the thread to - Equal prize money In Slams debate.

About the doubles point, again - If all the doubles players in ATP would be remotely competitive at singles, they would play there too like Kubot and Stepanek do. But they aren't for a reason or another and they play doubles only.

If they were, there would have been more males playing both events than women. Check the top 20 doubles players and check how many of them play singles.

It's all a matter of laziness as well for top guys not to play doubles. Also because they know they just couldn't win tournaments like they do in singles, the cash is less and why bother at the end of the day?

How come they all play doubles in DC and Olympics? Whenever there is an additional motivation they play. So don't tell me it's because it's physically impossible..
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #1792 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

There is no good case for equal prizemoney in Slams, but it's here to stay no matter what people may wish for.

latso, don't be lazy your comments about top players not men's doubles at Slams are a joke. DC is one weekend. Kafelinkov last man to win singles and doubles at a Slam lets see that is 13 matches in 14 days and this was in 1996. It's a lot harder now in that way and can't be compared. The doubles players should be thankful the best singles players don't focus on doubles at Slams.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #1793 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User
 
coluta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,368
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post

You think there are idiots who would give more money than necessary just for the women emancipation? Yeah, right..
For PR reasons.
coluta is offline  
post #1794 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Then we should rename the thread to - Equal prize money In Slams debate.

About the doubles point, again - If all the doubles players in ATP would be remotely competitive at singles, they would play there too like Kubot and Stepanek do. But they aren't for a reason or another and they play doubles only.

If they were, there would have been more males playing both events than women. Check the top 20 doubles players and check how many of them play singles.

It's all a matter of laziness as well for top guys not to play doubles. Also because they know they just couldn't win tournaments like they do in singles, the cash is less and why bother at the end of the day?

How come they all play doubles in DC and Olympics? Whenever there is an additional motivation they play. So don't tell me it's because it's physically impossible..
Behave yourself mate, it's not laziness that stops them from entering the doubles. If you can't see that then you clearly don't understand the dynamics of contemporary tennis.

AJ explained the other points to you so I won't repeat them.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #1795 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,993
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Actually the doubles argument goes the other way around. Most of us are concerned for the 25-100 ranked players not the Federers and Nadals. Who cares that Williams gets a quarter million prizemoney more than Federer, not me and nor does Federer I think. But for the lower ranked men it is more possible to chase these prizes.
buzz is offline  
post #1796 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,936
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post

It's all a matter of laziness as well for top guys not to play doubles. Also because they know they just couldn't win tournaments like they do in singles, the cash is less and why bother at the end of the day?
lul wut?

Men play best of 5 for 7 matches, women play best of 3.

Now tell women to play best of 5 and see how many will become "toolazy to play doubles"
atennisfan is offline  
post #1797 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,505
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
There is no good case for equal prizemoney in Slams, but it's here to stay no matter what people may wish for.

latso, don't be lazy your comments about top players not men's doubles at Slams are a joke. DC is one weekend. Kafelinkov last man to win singles and doubles at a Slam lets see that is 13 matches in 14 days and this was in 1996. It's a lot harder now in that way and can't be compared. The doubles players should be thankful the best singles players don't focus on doubles at Slams.
Seriously? Did you mean you disagree or just needed to insult?

Not my understanding of moderating...anyways -

Stepanek at the age of 33 plays both events. At USO he played third rounds in both singles and doubles.
If this is possible at 33, then i don't really get your point about dynamics of modern tennis and the tone of the comments...

Same goes for LLodra at 32.

Hence it is clearly possible for men to get more money by playing both events, so Murray's point is not valid.

Pro tennis is not only the top 4 guys and it's not about their prize money only, but the 100+ pros in a GS.

Let me ask you the following - do you think that if the prize money for doubles becomes equal to the prize money for single, do you think Murray won't be playing all GSs with his bro, or Djokovic won't be playing them?
Or would Berdych, Tsonga, Cilic, Gasquet, Klizan, Fognini skip them, instead of making a potential double cash?

Of course they will play.

So why don't they play them now? Coz it's impossible physically? sure
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #1798 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,505
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
lul wut?

Men play best of 5 for 7 matches, women play best of 3.

Now tell women to play best of 5 and see how many will become "toolazy to play doubles"
Women are weaker physically than men.

Just FYI

And Stepanek is 33, but it isn't too hard for him to play both events best of 5. Coz he's not a primadonna, who would spent his precious time for a minimum certain (high) amount of money.

It's again the same debate as the hard calendar - oh, the season is way too long, we can't handle that much :cry:
- Do you wanna play in for 1mil each in 40 degrees in the Middle East? Suuuuuure, we're fresh enough for a mil...

Uncle Latso is offline  
post #1799 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
August's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Age: 26
Posts: 5,471
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
And Stepanek is 33, but it isn't too hard for him to play both events best of 5. Coz he's not a primadonna, who would spent his precious time for a minimum certain (high) amount of money.
And he ain't a slam title contender like e.g. the Williams sisters, at best he could get to R4 or QFs. For example Federer or Tsonga could be good doubles players but they don't play doubles in slams because it'd compromise their singles performance.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion | 2015 French Open Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion

My Twitter
August is offline  
post #1800 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,505
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
And he ain't a slam title contender like e.g. the Williams sisters, at best he could get to R4 or QFs. For example Federer or Tsonga could be good doubles players but they don't play doubles in slams because it'd compromise their singles performance.
Then let's change the thread name to "Equal prize money debate for GS events, for the tittle contenders only".

That's a different case.

Do you think it would be great to lower the women prizes and players outside the top 30 would then Have to play doubles in order to make a living out of tennis?

If it is about comparing Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray prizes with Serena/Masha/Aza/Aga prizes, coz the latter can make 15% early more than the guys from prize money, then it's quite a selfish point to make from these guys.

They also make much more from everything outside tennis to even compare them with the women prizes.

I'm not sure Azarenka can make a few mils per year from exhib events, or the same cash for promoting underware, watches and chocolate.

So the male GS contenders are winning their lives much better than the women in this position, to even start talking about money.
Uncle Latso is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome