Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 118 - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1756 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,494
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Bearing in mind that was a Federer - Nadal final, I don't think it's plausible that the women's final was close to being as popular. Those two are still massive draws for the majority of viewers, especially when both of them are competing with each other.
That's even a the best possible case for comparison - The ultimate GS final ever, The Fedal against quite a boring final in the WTA.

If the numbers are close, then we have a case, coz i can imagine that the finals are happening during the night in Asia, so not as much spectators in China, compared to match during their day.

Anyways, would be curious to see.
Uncle Latso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1757 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,494
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Well, we can't see anything as
Quote:
While there was no official encomium from the top leadership for her extraordinary feat of becoming the first Chinese player to win a Grand Slam, the state television telecast her matches live while the official newspapers praised her to the sky.


We'll have to check Nike's numbers in China after this final... j/k

But despite there isn't solid info, i'm sure the big sharks are making their own forecasts and a Fedal would sell less than Li Na - whoever final.
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #1758 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Registered User
 
Dmitry Verdasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,182
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Given the women's final had an AMERICAN in it and the USO men's final was on a Monday night instead of a Sunday, you have no basis for an argument.

And the US doesn't represent the world.
You're reaching now

MARTiNA HiNGiS
| 10 x Australian Open Champion | 3 x Roland Garros Champion |
| 5 x Wimbledon Champion | 4 x US Open Champion | 5 x YEC Champion |





• Nadal • Philippoussis • Gasquet • Tursunov • Nalbandian • Safin • Bolelli • Tomic • Borg •
• Kournikova • Dokic • Golovin • Dementieva • Myskina • Mirza • Pliskova • Gavrilova • Rubin • Pierce •
Dmitry Verdasco is offline  
post #1759 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,985
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
You're reaching now
Don't hug me thanks.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #1760 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 AM
Lurrrkin'
 
Sham Kay Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 16,448
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

118 pages of bull. Now comparing this with an average life example:

There's a Mcdonalds down the road. The employees there serve an average of say 5 people per minute. They earn £7.60 per hour.

There's a Burger King across the street from the Mcdonalds. The employees there serve an average of about 3 people per hour. They earn £7.60 per hour.

Now if Mcdonalds were the ATP and Burger King were WTA, which Tennis organisation sells the cheapest double cheeseburgers? Wait.. no, there was a point in there somewhere.

So someone recently informed me that my sig was empty. Said I needed a life affirming motivational quote by a positive role model like Einstein or Oscar Wilde...

Great tip to stay fit and mobile: If you run up and down the stairs two steps at a time at least once daily, there will never come a time when you can't do it. Until of course one day you mistime a step, collapse and break all your bones... That would suck. But you had a good run.

-Drunk Fitness nerd at the gym
Sham Kay Adams is offline  
post #1761 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Registered User
 
MuzzahLovah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 20,420
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

I think having equal prize money brings a lot more to tennis than it takes away from it.

Especially since the top women include players are from Russia, China, and America, the important places. The men only have one guy from an important country with a big audience.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/atta...8&d=1224521470

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline  
post #1762 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 AM
Registered User
 
MuzzahLovah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 20,420
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
I agree that the quality of the WTA is low now, but it really does seem like many of you are insulting women in general.
MTF is steeped in misogyny, like much of the internet. It's pathetic.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/atta...8&d=1224521470

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline  
post #1763 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,985
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
I think having equal prize money brings a lot more to tennis than it takes away from it.

Especially since the top women include players are from Russia, China, and America, the important places. The men only have one guy from an important country with a big audience.
yeah forget about all these pointless little crappy countries like Serbia and the Czech Republic etc

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #1764 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 580
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Tennis is not that nationalistic. Both Federer and Nadal have a lot of international fans. I would rather watch a Federer first round then a 4th round of some mug of my own nationality (even if he would be ranked 10-5).
Pretty much. Just as an example, for me the 2004 US Open final was .
Benny_Maths is offline  
post #1765 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

I'm all for equality in tennis but Murray brought up an excellent point during Wimbledon. As the female players are spending less time on court (for the most part), and their matches are less physically taxing, they have the option of participating in the doubles event and thus can generate even more revenue than the men. The Williams sisters are a perfect example of the aforementioned point.

It is an excellent point brought up by Murray and a very intelligent way of generating debate about equal prize money without sparking negative debate about women's rights.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #1766 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,494
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
I'm all for equality in tennis but Murray brought up an excellent point during Wimbledon. As the female players are spending less time on court (for the most part), and their matches are less physically taxing, they have the option of participating in the doubles event and thus can generate even more revenue than the men. The Williams sisters are a perfect example of the aforementioned point.

It is an excellent point brought up by Murray and a very intelligent way of generating debate about equal prize money without sparking negative debate about women's rights.
Not a valid point imo.

Girls play 3 setters coz that's their maximum. Guys are stronger and they can play 5 setters.

Both genders have players doing singles and doubles at the same time.

You can't give different prizes to the Olympic gold medalist male at 100m and less to the Olympic gold medalist female at 100m.

Yes, she is slower, but it took her the same amount of work and sacrifice to be the best in her gender. She attracts as many spectators as the guys, so why less money for the ladies?
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #1767 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sen'jin Village
Age: 32
Posts: 18,509
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Not a valid point imo.

Girls play 3 setters coz that's their maximum. Guys are stronger and they can play 5 setters.

Both genders have players doing singles and doubles at the same time.

You can't give different prizes to the Olympic gold medalist male at 100m and less to the Olympic gold medalist female at 100m.

Yes, she is slower, but it took her the same amount of work and sacrifice to be the best in her gender. She attracts as many spectators as th m, so why less money for the ladies?
That's a bad analogy as both athletes run 100. Currently men play best of 5, while women play best of 3. They are not putting in the same effort.

To use your analogy, would girls deserve same prize money if instead of 100m, they ran 80?
Topspindoctor is offline  
post #1768 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 25
Posts: 696
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

I think that in the womens event the final should be best of 5 as a start ..
its impossible that a woman who wins a slam with maximum 21 sets and men with minimum 21 sets and the same prize money

FITD :
winner: Munich 2012
Runner Up:Doha 2011, Los Angeles 2011, Munich 2011, Kuala Lumpur 2012
Rank: 53

TT Doubles :
winner: Fergana CH 2011, Ostrava CH 2015(w/ KittyTennis) , Marbella CH(w/Tal20)
guyha4 is offline  
post #1769 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Registered User
 
Slice Winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,435
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
That's a bad analogy as both athletes run 100. Currently men play best of 5, while women play best of 3. They are not putting in the same effort.

To use your analogy, would girls deserve same prize money if instead of 100m, they ran 80?
It would be 100m versus 60m, if it's the same 5:3 ratio you want.
Slice Winner is offline  
post #1770 of 1898 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,205
                     
Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

I don't think you can use the spring as a comparison but you can definitely do it with 5000m. Both men and women run the same distance. Women do NOT run 3000m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
118 pages of bull. Now comparing this with an average life example:

There's a Mcdonalds down the road. The employees there serve an average of say 5 people per minute. They earn £7.60 per hour.

There's a Burger King across the street from the Mcdonalds. The employees there serve an average of about 3 people per hour. They earn £7.60 per hour.

Now if Mcdonalds were the ATP and Burger King were WTA, which Tennis organisation sells the cheapest double cheeseburgers? Wait.. no, there was a point in there somewhere.
This is a fine example of BS and lack of reasoning as well as that other post about 3 countries being the important places (typical of some Americans' reasoning, of course).


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome