IVA Majoli call it quits - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
F***ing have it
 
alfonsojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Barranquilla (COL)
Age: 41
Posts: 16,935
                     
IVA Majoli call it quits

Tennis-Majoli retires at 26

ZAGREB, June 29 (Reuters) - Croatia's Iva Majoli, the 1997 French Open champion, announced her retirement from competitive tennis on Tuesday saying she lacked motivation.
"There may be some exhibition matches or doubles, but my career is over," the 26-year-old Majoli told sports gazette Sportske Novosti.

"I have fallen too low," she said. "I am practically back at the beginning and would have to work like a maniac to get back to the top. I realised I was not ready for that."

Majoli, who beat Swiss Martina Hingis in the 1997 Roland Garros final, was once rated as high as number four but has seen her world ranking plummet to 294.

The winner of eight career WTA Tour titles, including the French Open, Majoli was not at Wimbledon this year having slipped too far in the rankings and she did not try to qualify.

Majoli has played only five matches since Wimbledon 2003 and lost four of them.

06/29/04 10:52 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited
alfonsojose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
RaVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CROATIA
Posts: 8,008
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

What a sad week
First Goran and now Iva

***New Croatian Hope And New Future Tennis Star***

MARIN CILIC
RaVeR is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:40 PM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

that's really bad for Majoli that her ranking dropped so much!
I haven't noticed anything of her lately at all.

sure it's bad that she retires, but on the other hand, a retirement is the only honest and upright solution if you are not willing to work hard anymore.

Good luck in the rest of her life, Iva! ...whatever you are doing....

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 PM
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
azza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: australia,Sydney
Age: 26
Posts: 5,729
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

www.wtaworld.com

Sexy red.
azza is online now  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Registered User
 
smudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 280
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

294??? wow ! I didn't realise she'd dropped that low.

Well sad to see someone retire young and go out on a low but a French Open title at least 2 show for her career
smudger is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: the bar
Posts: 590
   
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
that's really bad for Majoli that her ranking dropped so much!
I haven't noticed anything of her lately at all.

sure it's bad that she retires, but on the other hand, a retirement is the only honest and upright solution if you are not willing to work hard anymore.

Good luck in the rest of her life, Iva! ...whatever you are doing....
She has the right to retire whenever she likes. At some point, every player isn't willing to work as hard as they did.
CarnivalCarnage is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: the bar
Posts: 590
   
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudger
294??? wow ! I didn't realise she'd dropped that low.

Well sad to see someone retire young and go out on a low but a French Open title at least 2 show for her career
She won Charleston, reached the Bol final, and made the 3r of Wimbledon and the US Open in 2002. But right after that, she seemed to fall off a cliff. As the article said, after Wimbledon 2003, she played only one more event (the USO, and lost 1r) that year. This year she took a couple wildcards and didn't play especially well, and I think her last event was trying to qualify in Paris which didn't work out too well either.

But that ranking is illusory. It's not like she was dinking around Challenger tournaments for months with that ranking. It's a combo of inactivity and miserable results on the pro tour.
CarnivalCarnage is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 991
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

She did the right decision.

Basically since 1 year in an half she's half retired. It's clear she didn't have the motivation to comeback. Her retirement is hardly a surprise.

I'm happy she won't use her fame as a GS winner to suck WC until she's 30 and having poor results 3/4 of the time... She was already a WC queen, I've stopped counting after 30.

If she lacks motivation, better to just retire.
SanTaureau Fan is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Registered User
 
Billabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 29
Posts: 18,732
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Good luck in your future life Iva!

Guga Kuerten

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic
Billabong is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:04 AM
country flag Leo
Registered User
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 27
Posts: 8,451
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

That's really sad but understandable. At least she was able to get back to her '97 form for brief periods in the last few years, including that incredible run at Charleston 2002.

Best of luck to you, Iva.

/ / / /
Djokovic.
\ \ \ \
Coric.
/ / / / /
Youzhny.
\ \ \ \
Del Potro.
/ / / /
Paire.
\ \ \ \
Ferrero.
Leo is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:06 AM
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: the bar
Posts: 590
   
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
That's really sad but understandable. At least she was able to get back to her '97 form for brief periods in the last few years, including that incredible run at Charleston 2002.

Best of luck to you, Iva.
Weeeellll, anytime your best win at a Tier I was Sandrine Testud, I don't think it's an incredible run.
CarnivalCarnage is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:07 AM
country flag Leo
Registered User
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 27
Posts: 8,451
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalCarnage
Weeeellll, anytime your best win at a Tier I was Sandrine Testud, I don't think it's an incredible run.
Considering where she was ranked and her form going in, I'd call it incredible. Okay, maybe Schnyder did have the bigger wins that week, but who cares when it's Iva holding up the trophy in the end, right?

/ / / /
Djokovic.
\ \ \ \
Coric.
/ / / / /
Youzhny.
\ \ \ \
Del Potro.
/ / / /
Paire.
\ \ \ \
Ferrero.
Leo is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
Registered User
 
YoursTruly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 2,473
                     
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

This is shocking. Totally unexpected!!! I mean, is this for real? If it had to do with how the tour has too many tournaments, then I'm going to be really mad because that means that a good player has been wasted due to the over-playing.
I did know that after her French Open title, she began having injuries and was away and then coming back again, and when she did come back, there were good moments for her. So much talent and still a bit young to say goodbye to competing! I thank Iva for beating Martina in the '97 final (HAHAHA), for winning the Family Circle Cup in her last real comeback, and for making the game look so natural and easy.

"i'm not here to do a cinema" - jhh talking to the press about her match
against kournikova (which she won easily), us open 2000
YoursTruly is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: the bar
Posts: 590
   
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Considering where she was ranked and her form going in, I'd call it incredible. Okay, maybe Schnyder did have the bigger wins that week, but who cares when it's Iva holding up the trophy in the end, right?
Who cares about the trophy when you walk away with more points?
CarnivalCarnage is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: the bar
Posts: 590
   
Re: IVA Majoli call it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoursTruly
This is shocking. Totally unexpected!!! I mean, is this for real? If it had to do with how the tour has too many tournaments, then I'm going to be really mad because that means that a good player has been wasted due to the over-playing.
I did know that after her French Open title, she began having injuries and was away and then coming back again, and when she did come back, there were good moments for her. So much talent and still a bit young to say goodbye to competing! I thank Iva for beating Martina in the '97 final (HAHAHA), for winning the Family Circle Cup in her last real comeback, and for making the game look so natural and easy.
I don't think there's any link to the schedule here.
CarnivalCarnage is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome