"*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season [slamless in 08]?? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
"*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season [slamless in 08]??





...I`m getting a little pessimistic about FED & RAFA`s 2008 campaign [as they both seem to have become SF fodder in big tourneys (witness AO & IW)]

#@@#...Scratching my brain for an anolgy i was thinking about a few anomolies in tennis history, where players who looked set to have truly glorious careers suddenly began losing, just after a period of dominance

>>
*""*FED analogy: 2008 could be similar to McEnroe`s 1985, where Bad Mac failed to win a slam & only a couple of MM tourneys, despite utter dominance in 1984 [won 13 tourneys, won USO & Wimby + FO final].
or Wilander`s 1989, where Mats failed to win any titles, despite utter dominance in 1988 [won 3-slams].

>>
"^^"RAFA analogy: 2008 could be similar to Courier`s 1994, where Jim failed to win a slam & only one MM tourney, despite a spectacular run 1991-93 [won AOx2 & FOx2, plus 3-other Slam finals].


~~~~~~
I`m not predicting anything ridiculous, like Djokovic winning the Golden Slam, though I can see Nole adding the USO title to his AO win, but for some reason i`ve got premonition that neither FED nor RAFA will win a slam in 2008


Does anyone else also get the same funny feeling that 2008 will go from bad to worse for the former FED/RAFA duopoly

Last edited by CmonAussie; 06-15-2008 at 03:57 PM.
CmonAussie is offline  
post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered User
 
CyBorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,166
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Looks like Djoko has weathered the storm of losing in Miami. Despite the loss to Anderson he apparently is still better than Federer according to MTF's populace.

'This isn't right. This isn't even wrong'.
- Wolfgang Pauli upon seeing a paper by a young physicist

'A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.'
- Bertrand Russell
CyBorg is offline  
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
Looks like Djoko has weathered the storm of losing in Miami. Despite the loss to Anderson he apparently is still better than Federer according to MTF's populace.


I`m not suggesting Djoko dominating, just a premonition i have about FED & RAFA going slamless in 08

I think we may well have a couple of other surprise slam winners in 08: maybe Roddick @ Wimby & Nalby @ FO


**Remember 2002: AO [ToJo], FO [Costa], Wimby [Llegs], USO [Pete]
CmonAussie is offline  
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 32
Posts: 2,781
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

I am pretty sure that Nadal will retain his Roland Garros crown as will Federer with his Wimbledon crown. US Open is probably open up to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
jonny84 is offline  
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny84 View Post
I am pretty sure that Nadal will retain his Roland Garros crown as will Federer with his Wimbledon crown. US Open is probably open up to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

so you see FED winning a record 6th successive Wimby then [pressure won`t get to him]
also you see RAFA winning a 4th FO in a row

...
so when will FED & RAFA`s respective runs @ their fav slams end??
##it`s the law of averages, that both are due to have their streaks broken!!
CmonAussie is offline  
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered User
 
Branimir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,387
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

For fuck sake, I am neither Rafa's nor Fed's fan, but please stop this bullshit already. Is it so fucking hard to take that someone else has won a slam after more than 4 years!? It's 3 slams left, not 1, not 2, 3...

I don't like Nadal.
Branimir is offline  
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 517
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Federer is not McEnroe.

Nadal is not Courier.
Roland9 is offline  
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: ""FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 08]

It's possible but your having a 'premonition' doesn't make me any the more confident of the possibility.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branimir View Post
For fuck sake, I am neither Rafa's nor Fed's fan, but please stop this bullshit already. Is it so fucking hard to take that someone else has won a slam after more than 4 years!? It's 3 slams left, not 1, not 2, 3...

#I`m not just talking about AO

...FED`s poor run began when he was thrashed back-to-back by Nalbandian last October!
...RAFA hasn`t won a tourney since July last year & he`s now routinely thrashed on hardcourts!
CmonAussie is offline  
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland9 View Post
Federer is not McEnroe.

Nadal is not Courier.


fair enough!

<>point remains that nobody expected McEnroe`s dominance to disappear so abruptly after his 84 season!
#Borg, Wilander, Courier etc. are other examples of players who mysteriously failed to add to their slam tallies after several dominant years [all of them faded suddenly in their mid-20s].
CmonAussie is offline  
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Paris
Age: 28
Posts: 9,871
                     
Re: <"">FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

I`m not suggesting Djoko dominating, just a premonition i have about FED & RAFA going slamless in 08

I think we may well have a couple of other surprise slam winners in 08: maybe Roddick @ Wimby & Nalby @ FO



**Remember 2002: AO [ToJo], FO [Costa], Wimby [Llegs], USO [Pete]
I like how you think CmonAussie.

______________________________

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline  
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered User
 
Herdwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,342
                     
Re: "*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 08

Thought Nadal was very impressive last night against Kiefer - played better than I've seen him for some months. He's got something to prove; I think (and hope) people are writing him off too quickly. The man has more will to win than just about anyone out there.

Am not sure about Fed - more question marks there I think. Don't think he played to 2006 levels in the whole of 2007 (save the AO v Roddick) - to me his playing style has fundamentally altered. Pride is stung to be sure so we will see.
Herdwick is offline  
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 39
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: "*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdwick View Post
Thought Nadal was very impressive last night against Kiefer - played better than I've seen him for some months. He's got something to prove; I think (and hope) people are writing him off too quickly. The man has more will to win than just about anyone out there.

Am not sure about Fed - more question marks there I think. Don't think he played to 2006 levels in the whole of 2007 (save the AO v Roddick) - to me his playing style has fundamentally altered. Pride is stung to be sure so we will see.

Thanks for a thoughtful response

Yeah the jury is still out obviously
Of course if FED or RAFA win Miami that will do a lot to help one of them (confidence wise).

Anyway i thought i`d share my premonition & the next few months will give us the `proof in the pudding`(whether i`m right or wrong)
CmonAussie is offline  
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 459
                     
Re: "*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post




...I`m getting a little pessimistic about FED & RAFA`s 2008 campaign [as they both seem to have become SF fodder in big tourneys (witness AO & IW)]

#@@#...Scratching my brain for an anolgy i was thinking about a few anomolies in tennis history, where players who looked set to have truly glorious careers suddenly began losing, just after a period of dominance

>>
*""*FED analogy: 2008 could be similar to McEnroe`s 1985, where Bad Mac failed to win a slam & only a couple of MM tourneys, despite utter dominance in 1984 [won 13 tourneys, won USO & Wimby + FO final].
or Wilander`s 1989, where Mats failed to win any titles, despite utter dominance in 1988 [won 3-slams].

>>
"^^"RAFA analogy: 2008 could be similar to Courier`s 1994, where Jim failed to win a slam & only one MM tourney, despite a spectacular run 1991-93 [won AOx2 & FOx2, plus 3-other Slam finals].


~~~~~~
I`m not predicting anything ridiculous, like Djokovic winning the Golden Slam, though I can see Nole adding the USO title to his AO win, but for some reason i`ve got premonition that neither FED nor RAFA will win a slam in 2008


Does anyone else also get the same funny feeling that 2008 will go from bad to worse for the former FED/RAFA duopoly


That would be horrible....
gnaz is offline  
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,597
                     
Re: "*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season,& RAFA having a Courier 94 [both slamless in 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post




...I`m getting a little pessimistic about FED & RAFA`s 2008 campaign [as they both seem to have become SF fodder in big tourneys (witness AO & IW)]

#@@#...Scratching my brain for an anolgy i was thinking about a few anomolies in tennis history, where players who looked set to have truly glorious careers suddenly began losing, just after a period of dominance

>>
*""*FED analogy: 2008 could be similar to McEnroe`s 1985, where Bad Mac failed to win a slam & only a couple of MM tourneys, despite utter dominance in 1984 [won 13 tourneys, won USO & Wimby + FO final].
or Wilander`s 1989, where Mats failed to win any titles, despite utter dominance in 1988 [won 3-slams].

>>
"^^"RAFA analogy: 2008 could be similar to Courier`s 1994, where Jim failed to win a slam & only one MM tourney, despite a spectacular run 1991-93 [won AOx2 & FOx2, plus 3-other Slam finals].


~~~~~~
I`m not predicting anything ridiculous, like Djokovic winning the Golden Slam, though I can see Nole adding the USO title to his AO win, but for some reason i`ve got premonition that neither FED nor RAFA will win a slam in 2008


Does anyone else also get the same funny feeling that 2008 will go from bad to worse for the former FED/RAFA duopoly
Probably less likely than Djokovic winning AO, FO, Wimbledon and US Open this year.
DrJules is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome