Obviously there are many parallels (nomen omen "parallel universe") between Sampras and Federer in their careers... Look at the similarities between the same years of the various decades ->
- 1997, 26-year-old Sampras won 2 Majors, 2 Master Series and Masters Cup
- 2007, 26-year-old Federer won 3 Majors, 2 Master Series and Masters Cup
Australian Open: Sampras loses in QF (final: Korda def. Rios)
Indian Wells: Sampras loses in 3R (final: Rios def. Rusedski)
Miami: Sampras loses in 2R (final: Rios def. Agassi)
Australian Open: Federer loses in SF (final: Djokovic def. Tsonga)
Indian Wells: Federer loses in SF (final: Djokovic vs. Fish)
Miami: Federer loses in ??
- "Djokovic '08" -> someone like "Rios '98"
- Djokovic is probably on the way to win combo IW-Miami '08 like Rios did it in '98
- Djokovic won Australian Open '08, Rios didn't in '98 and probably this is the reason why Rios was No. 2 at the end of 1998 and why Djokovic will be No. 1 at the end of 2008
- Exhibition match Federer-Sampras is a symbolic closure of the cycle
Mark my words in "the year of the Fish"