2008 predictions/analysis - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Age: 39
Posts: 1,226
                     
2008 predictions/analysis

For me AO, is a very successful tournament. The only loophole is Roger is not on his best form. But I would'nt take anything from Nole because he beats him in straight sets.

Now, 3 more slams are coming, who are the contenders? who are the spoilers?

RG:
1. Rafael Nadal- He is still the King of Clay.
2. Roger Federer- He is still the man to beat on any surface.
3. David Ferrer- I really this guy giving it all at this years RG.
4. Novak Djokovic- I'm not really what he can put on the table comes clay season. ( But who cares? He just won the last slam)

Spoilers: Davidenko, Nalbandian, Tsonga, Gasquet


Wimbledon:
1. Roger Federer- Grass will suits his game better and will be more confident on this surface
far second..................
2. Novak Djokovic- This is a fast court. He knows how to set-up from the baseline and he knows how to volley now.

All others would just be spoilers. I want to put Nadal as a contender but I'm afraid all others (big servers) would beat him in ealier rounds.

US Open:
1. Roger Federer and close second Noval Djokovic.
Nole is being loved now by the US fans and playing the best hardcourt tennis and Roger trying to break Sampras record of 14 slams.
This is gonna be a big fight.

Nalbandian can still come up in the mix if he can get his game together like he did later part of the year last year.

Nadal does'nt come close to a semis in US Open before.


END of the year ranking:
1. Roger Federer
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Rafael Nadal

Last edited by BIGMARAT; 01-29-2008 at 06:51 PM.
BIGMARAT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Motherhater
 
RagingLamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 5,571
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

I'm not sure why you don't think Nadal is a contender at Wimbledon. and why you think Davydenko can be a spoiler on any surface.

And I'm not sure I understand your ranking prediction. You think Roger is still going to rack up more points than anyone else at the end of the year?
RagingLamb is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Age: 39
Posts: 1,226
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

I duno, Its just that Nadal at Wimbledon is just a long shot for me considering a lot of big servers comming in now.

As for Roger's ranking, He is too way up! the only way he could be catch is by 2009.
BIGMARAT is offline  
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered User
 
hiperborejac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 845
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMARAT View Post
For me AO, is a very successful tournament. The only loophole is Roger is not on his best form. But I would'nt take anything from Nole because he beats him in straight sets.

Now, 3 more slams are coming, who are the contenders? who are the spoilers?

RG:
1. Rafael Nadal- He is still the King of Clay.
2. Roger Federer- He is still the man to beat on any surface.
3. Novak Djokovic- I'm not really what he can put on the table comes clay season. ( But who cares? He just won the last slam)

Spoilers: Davidenko, Nalbandian, Tsonga, Gasquet


Wimbledon:
1. Roger Federer- Grass will suits his game better and will be more confident on this surface
far second..................
2. Novak Djokovic- This is a fast court. He knows how to set-up from the baseline and he knows how to volley now.

All others would just be spoilers. I want to put Nadal as a contender but I'm afraid all others (big servers) would beat him in ealier rounds.

US Open:
1. Roger Federer and close second Noval Djokovic.
Nole is being loved now by the US fans and playing the best hardcourt tennis and Roger trying to break Sampras record of 14 slams.
This is gonna be a big fight.

Nalbandian can still come up in the mix if he can get his game together like he did later part of the year last year.

Nadal does'nt come close to a semis in US Open before.


END of the year ranking:
1. Roger Federer
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Rafael Nadal
Agree in almost everything. I think Djoko will be more consistent on clay cause made better schedule this year and so will be fit enough.
It will be very interesting for Tsonga as I think he can challenge both Fed and Djoko on hard/grass courts. Also will be very interesting to see his games on clay with regard to he played only one pro match (1.rd RG 2005 lost to Roddick!!!)
hiperborejac is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,189
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperborejac View Post
Agree in almost everything. I think Djoko will be more consistent on clay cause made better schedule this year and so will be fit enough.
It will be very interesting for Tsonga as I think he can challenge both Fed and Djoko on hard/grass courts. Also will be very interesting to see his games on clay with regard to he played only one pro match (1.rd RG 2005 lost to Roddick!!!)

Hasn't Nole only dropped Estoril? Hardly a major change - in fact no change at all because the clay season is one week shorter. He's still due to play at least one round of Davis Cup and 5 hard court tournaments before the clay season starts.
l_mac is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
why you think Davydenko can be a spoiler on any surface.
Davydenko should currently be accpeted as the fourth best in the world on clay and he likes aking the ball early, he has better chances than most to beat Nadal on clay (though still slim), see Rome, maybe the best match of the year. He is also probably as good as Federer on clay when he plays well, choked away what should've been a very close 5 setter at RG last year and turned into a straight sets win.

Hilarious that you should challenge his inclusion when he has such credentials and is a good player whereas Tsonga has shown nothing on clay as of yet and it is unlikely his game will suit. Plus Gasquet is nowhere near Davydenko as well.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Age: 39
Posts: 1,226
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Davydenko should currently be accpeted as the fourth best in the world on clay and he likes aking the ball early, he has better chances than most to beat Nadal on clay (though still slim), see Rome, maybe the best match of the year. He is also probably as good as Federer on clay when he plays well, choked away what should've been a very close 5 setter at RG last year and turned into a straight sets win.

Hilarious that you should challenge his inclusion when he has such credentials and is a good player whereas Tsonga has shown nothing on clay as of yet and it is unlikely his game will suit. Plus Gasquet is nowhere near Davydenko as well.

My point exactly.
BIGMARAT is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,189
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Davydenko should currently be accpeted as the fourth best in the world on clay and he likes aking the ball early, he has better chances than most to beat Nadal on clay (though still slim), see Rome, maybe the best match of the year. He is also probably as good as Federer on clay when he plays well, choked away what should've been a very close 5 setter at RG last year and turned into a straight sets win.

Hilarious that you should challenge his inclusion when he has such credentials and is a good player whereas Tsonga has shown nothing on clay as of yet and it is unlikely his game will suit. Plus Gasquet is nowhere near Davydenko as well.
4th best? Who's the 3rd? Not Nole, surely??
l_mac is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
4th best? Who's the 3rd? Not Nole, surely??
Well, the third place is up for grabs I think, Djokovic is still a little behind Davydenko in terms of clay courts but it could be argued that they are close. I said fourth because it is basically impossible to argue that Davydenko is any lower than that.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 217
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

My bets as far as final results are concerned:
French Open - Nadal
Wimbledon - Roger
US Open - Could go either way: Right now looks like a toss-up between Djoker and Roger. I'm going with Roger at this stage but anything could happen.

As far as the year-end rankings are concerned I don't expect it to be very easy for Roger this time since he's most likely not going to win three slams this year. Even if he ends at #1, it'll be by a very narrow margin and will probably depend greatly on how Djoker fares during the clay season and Rafa during the hard court season.
siddy is offline  
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,189
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Well, the third place is up for grabs I think, Djokovic is still a little behind Davydenko in terms of clay courts but it could be argued that they are close. I said fourth because it is basically impossible to argue that Davydenko is any lower than that.

Until I see differently, I'd definitely put him 3rd on clay.

No doubt Nole could have a superb clay season with vastly improved play from last year, but I didn't think he was that impressive on the dirt last season and his RG draw was soft. In my opinion.
l_mac is offline  
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered User
 
hiperborejac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 845
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Hasn't Nole only dropped Estoril? Hardly a major change - in fact no change at all because the clay season is one week shorter. He's still due to play at least one round of Davis Cup and 5 hard court tournaments before the clay season starts.
Also dropped Rotterdam and Dubai.
http://www.novak-djokovic.com/eng/to...k_schedule.php

Estoril is one of hardest clay events because of weather conditions (very windy out there). Also he changed his game in terms of shortening points (we will see how it works in clay). He has some bad circumstances last year like playing Hamburg 2 matches in same day (R16 & QF because of rain). So if he concentrates his energy only for clay AMS i think we can expect much better results...
hiperborejac is offline  
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,498
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Wimbledon:
1. Roger Federer- Grass will suits his game better and will be more confident on this surface
far second..................
2. Novak Djokovic- This is a fast court. He knows how to set-up from the baseline and he knows how to volley now.

All others would just be spoilers. I want to put Nadal as a contender but I'm afraid all others (big servers) would beat him in ealier rounds.
Gasquet on grass is a huge contender(he has won 2 titles on grass and made a Wimbledon 1/2 final).
I think he would have already troubled Federer last year had it not been for the ridiculous scheduling of the Wimbledon organisers.
It's by the way really hilarious you put Gasquet as a contender for the FO(whereas clay is his worst surface) and not for Wimbledon
richie21 is offline  
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Age: 39
Posts: 1,226
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Until I see differently, I'd definitely put him 3rd on clay.

No doubt Nole could have a superb clay season with vastly improved play from last year, but I didn't think he was that impressive on the dirt last season and his RG draw was soft. In my opinion.
You could be right but I'm afraid your opinion is based on your disaapointment that's its not Nadal that is taking out Roger outside of clay.

I really think, Novak improved so much specially his serve and his volleys. I think clay season would be very good for him as he could only rack up points to take out nadal as the number 2 in the world.
BIGMARAT is offline  
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: 2008 predictions/analysis

...............
~~~~~~~~Ferrer will win FO!!!
CmonAussie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome