Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos. - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sawan66278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,847
                     
Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

I think a little perspective is necessary here. Rafa IS an all-court player. What makes an all-court player? A player who is successful on all surfaces. If we define being an all-court player as having won a slam on a particular surface, than Roger Federer himself would not be an all-court player. Preposterous.

Rafa, like MANY champions before him, has yet to win a slam on hard courts. Does this mean he never will? Not necessarily. Take Boris Becker. The man made the finals of the U.S. Open all of one time. And he won the title. He suffered MANY early defeats, and yet, is still seen as an excellent all court player. Agassi entered exactly how many slams? And exactly how many first round defeats did he suffer? He has eight slams, and suffered many first round defeats.

Rafa just happens to be competing, at the age of 21 no less, with the most dominant force in the history of the men's game. Expectations are unrealistically raised...he is not the Captain of the U.S.S. Egoprise...but what he is a three-time French Champion, a two-time Wimbledon finalist, and a player who has reached at least the quarters of both hard court slams...including two semis at the indoor Masters Cup. If these results (along with titles on hard court and indoor surfaces...not just clay) do not make an all-court player, I don't know what does.

Rafa will be fine. He will tweak his game...and he will have shots to win slams on other surfaces. Oh yea of little faith, begone. His real fans were there at the beginning, will enjoy the ups and downs of the middle, and be there at the end.

Rafa is Don Clayhote...the dragons he faces is the non-clay court slam...we Rafa fans are his loyal sidekicks, his Sanchos...and we shall continue to sing:

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

Thanks for the gutsy run, Phillies!!! World Series Champs...2010!!!

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,335
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Difference with Rafa and Becker/Agassi is their games are more atuned to faster surfaces and are more likely to win a US open/Oz. Nadal won't makes the changes, otherwise he would of already done that instead of standing 3m behind the baseline.

The twat that wrote the article will be singing until she/he is laid to rest, grade A douche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban1920 View Post
It's my job to put these pathetic Nadull-fanboys in their place. They're the scourge and bane of the tennis world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhaych View Post
Nadal is more conservative than Margaret Thatcher.
^^QFT

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."-Pat Rafter silencing the Nadull fanboys
Byrd is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,189
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan66278 View Post
I think a little perspective is necessary here. Rafa IS an all-court player. What makes an all-court player? A player who is successful on all surfaces. If we define being an all-court player as having won a slam on a particular surface, than Roger Federer himself would not be an all-court player. Preposterous.

Rafa, like MANY champions before him, has yet to win a slam on hard courts. Does this mean he never will? Not necessarily. Take Boris Becker. The man made the finals of the U.S. Open all of one time. And he won the title. He suffered MANY early defeats, and yet, is still seen as an excellent all court player. Agassi entered exactly how many slams? And exactly how many first round defeats did he suffer? He has eight slams, and suffered many first round defeats.

Rafa just happens to be competing, at the age of 21 no less, with the most dominant force in the history of the men's game. Expectations are unrealistically raised...he is not the Captain of the U.S.S. Egoprise...but what he is a three-time French Champion, a two-time Wimbledon finalist, and a player who has reached at least the quarters of both hard court slams...including two semis at the indoor Masters Cup. If these results (along with titles on hard court and indoor surfaces...not just clay) do not make an all-court player, I don't know what does.

Rafa will be fine. He will tweak his game...and he will have shots to win slams on other surfaces. Oh yea of little faith, begone. His real fans were there at the beginning, will enjoy the ups and downs of the middle, and be there at the end.

Rafa is Don Clayhote...the dragons he faces is the non-clay court slam...we Rafa fans are his loyal sidekicks, his Sanchos...and we shall continue to sing:

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far
If this is really a post aimed at Rafa fans, it might be better posted in his forum here. I don't see any Rafa fans jumping ship.

But this will be a great thread for the haters to jump in on and proclaim him a moonballing, cheating pig They're kind of short on those threads today.
l_mac is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 235
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

He sucks
FitDave is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Congrats, Sawan, I see you made it to Wertheim's mailbag
Quote:
Sohaib Awan of Philadelphia writes: "We know Jo-Wilfried Tsonga bears an uncanny resemblance to Muhammad Ali. So, I thought I would help Jo with a poem who can use, in Ali style:

Onto the finals, and who shall I meet?
00 Ego or the Master of Cheat?
If it's Roger, the one the fans all adore, I'll crush that slice backhand, and show him the door.
Mirka will text all her friends the truth, Tsonga is here; Roger's dominance went "poof".
And that record of Pete's you wanted to tame?
Jo Will's now the master, it is mine now to gain.
And what of the Serbian sensation, so young?
Ball bouncing and fake injuries only get you so far, my son.
As I raise the trophy for the world to see, A new order is established: away with the three.
I am a just ruler, I'll give you some tourneys.
But when it comes to the slams, only Jo Will shall be earnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne View Post
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered User
 
The Pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,444
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

god i hate poetry
The Pro is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sawan66278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,847
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Quote:
Congrats, Sawan, I see you made it to Wertheim's mailbag
Thanks, Rogiman...but I actually didn't submit it...methinks it was my wife. Anyway, I thought your ability to restrain yourself from running naked at work was funnier.

Thanks for the gutsy run, Phillies!!! World Series Champs...2010!!!

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered User
 
alelysafina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In the middle of nowhere... but near the beach :)
Posts: 4,626
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Do you even know what a sancho is??

I want to have my evil way with Tommy Robredo


My Av was made by J'torian
alelysafina is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered User
 
JediFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 35
Posts: 7,671
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Why'd that other thread get locked?

It was amazing.
JediFed is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sawan66278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 2,847
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Jedifed, I didn't get to congratulate on the changes to the poem. I guess mine could be seen as version 1, and yours version 2 (and your use of language was superlative). And you'll appreciate this: mine is like Star Wars circa 1976 and your is like Star Wars: the Special Edition.

Thanks for the gutsy run, Phillies!!! World Series Champs...2010!!!

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
calvinhobbes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 929
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelysafina View Post
Do you even know what a sancho is??
Good question. Rafatards can´t be called Sanchos. When Don Quichote (or clayhote, for that matter) was preparing himself to attack the windmills, Sancho´s role was to warn him of the great risk he was about to take, and by all means he tried to discourage his Señor from that fool adventure.Rafatards are bandwagoning his Señor Don Nadal and encourage him to every fool attempt to win points at no matter what physical and psychological cost . . . . . .
calvinhobbes is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
JediFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 35
Posts: 7,671
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

Mate, it was fun to work on. Thank you sawan.

Do what you will with the 'revised' version. It's your poem.
JediFed is online now  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,540
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

The guy is just mediocre on hardcourts and no more. He needs to sort his serve out and think up a new tactic. "Always serve to the backhand, then moonball to the backhand" just isn't going to get the job done. You saw Fat Dave mince up those ridiculous cross-court moonballs and the rest of the tour has him figured out as well.
Fed=ATPTourkilla is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Don Clayhote: Let Rafa fans remain loyal Sanchos.

sAWAN

what a legend
Corey Feldman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome