Tsonga became the sixth player to reach his first ATP final in a Grand Slam in the Open Era (I didn't count the players who had started career before the Era):
1) Mark Edmondson (Australia) - Australian Open 1976 - winner
2) John Sadri (USA) - Australian Open 1979 - finalist
3) Steve Denton (USA) - Australian Open 1981 - finalist
4) Mikael Pernfors (Sweden) - Roland Garros 1986 - finalist
5) Gustavo Kuerten (Brazil) - Roland Garros 1997 - winner
6) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) - Australian Open 2008 - ?