2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet?? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Is the thread for the nominations for the ACC 2008 up yet?

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Occasional Visitor
 
*Ljubica*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 52,208
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

I can't deny it - I truly cannot stand Nadal But to say this is his worst season ever after just 3 weeks seems very premature. Reaching a Grand Slam semi-final is hardly failure is it And I'm sure he will have many good results on clay. Let's just see what happens at the end of the year.

AJDE SRBIJA


Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline  
post #33 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

We will get more information at the beginning of March, when richie21 starts a thread claiming that Gasquet will never lose to Nadal again on a surface other than clay.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
 
post #34 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Well, the Nadal of 2005-6 would not be completely torn apart like the one of late 2007 - early 2008, and I believe these are bad signs for his fans, and no, this is not a trolling attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne View Post
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline  
post #35 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered User
 
Clara Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: A US state that was once its own country.
Posts: 4,978
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Lady View Post
I can't deny it - I truly cannot stand Nadal
I don't think that anyone would think you are denying it Rosie as you say that you can't stand him whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I think it is a little too early to say. He has had his best results for this time of the year- but at the same time is suffering harsher defeats. That stated, I remember last year people kept saying that he would be easier and easier to beat on clay- but outside of his lost toe Federer- I thought he was playing better tennis on clay (more layered) than he had in years prior.

I don't have great faith in him getting to another Wimbledon final- but I do think he is a better player on grass than he is on hard.

I like a lot of players.
Clara Bow is offline  
post #36 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered User
 
cmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,747
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
Well, the Nadal of 2005-6 would not be completely torn apart like the one of late 2007 - early 2008, and I believe these are bad signs for his fans, and no, this is not a trolling attempt.
Why would anyone accuse you of trolling?
cmurray is offline  
post #37 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
Why would anyone accuse you of trolling?
Well, if you're being sarcastic then

Otherwise, by 'not a trolling attempt' I meant that was one of those rare occasions when I'm being unbiased with my judgement of Nadal I do believe he makes no progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne View Post
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline  
post #38 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered User
 
cmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,747
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
Well, if you're being sarcastic then

Otherwise, by 'not a trolling attempt' I meant that was one of those rare occasions when I'm being unbiased with my judgement of Nadal I do believe he makes no progress.
Of COURSE I'm being sarcastic.

As for "no progress"....that remains to be seen. I have doubts that his hardcourt play will ever "get better" - his game is not suited to it at all. I'd suggest that it might be prudent to wait until the clay season to determine whether Nadal is making progress or not.
cmurray is offline  
post #39 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
Of COURSE I'm being sarcastic.

As for "no progress"....that remains to be seen. I have doubts that his hardcourt play will ever "get better" - his game is not suited to it at all. I'd suggest that it might be prudent to wait until the clay season to determine whether Nadal is making progress or not.
On clay he can not improve anymore anyway, be it his results or his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne View Post
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline  
post #40 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
Well, if you're being sarcastic then

Otherwise, by 'not a trolling attempt' I meant that was one of those rare occasions when I'm being unbiased with my judgement of Nadal I do believe he makes no progress.
That is not what you get if you look at ATP ranking points, that is a 12-month moving average for results and hence has less noise than other metrics. It also averages out the effect of draws, unless you believe draws are fixed. The points tread is still upward, yes, he gets demolished these days but it is because he makes it on aggregate deeper than he did before.

Detractors always think that the burnout/crush is imminent, fans think that a Federer like dominance is imminent, both sides are wrong.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
post #41 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
That is not what you get if you look at ATP ranking points, that is a 12-month moving average for results and hence has less noise than other metrics. It also averages out the effect of draws, unless you believe draws are fixed. The points tread is still upward, yes, he gets demolished these days but it is because he makes it on aggregate deeper than he did before.

Detractors always think that the burnout/crush is imminent, fans think that a Federer like dominance is imminent, both sides are wrong.
A player's career is not long enough to make us think some trends are just random fluctuations. Nadal is nothing more than an ordinary top 10 player without his fighting spirit, and him not showing any in his last 5 or 6 defeats is to me enough of an evidence that something is happening. It's low resolution in the first place, no need to take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne View Post
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline  
post #42 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
cmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,747
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
On clay he can not improve anymore anyway, be it his results or his game.
His game improved on clay last year, actually. As for results - I was under the assumption that we were not referring to results. If we were, one would have to conclude that 2008 is shaping up to be his best year ever. IW and Miami might give us better information, as the relatively high bouncing courts accentuate his game. Should he take either of those titles, I think it would be safe to conclude that he isn't on a downward spiral.
cmurray is offline  
post #43 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,718
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

He's pretty much guaranteed to win French again. Every year a player wins a Slam title is a great year.
ExpectedWinner is offline  
post #44 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,208
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
Otherwise, by 'not a trolling attempt' I meant that was one of those rare occasions when I'm being unbiased with my judgement of Nadal I do believe he makes no progress.
I'm pretty sure you're about as far away as I am when it comes to making any sort of unbiased judgements on Nadal.
l_mac is offline  
post #45 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: 2008 Nadal's Worst Season Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
I'm pretty sure you're about as far away as I am when it comes to making any sort of unbiased judgements on Nadal.
Never in doubt But this time I'm not just trying to stir shit, which should be good enough a reason for you to be worried....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne View Post
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome