Marray scares Hewitt - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 69
                     
Marray scares Hewitt

Marray ran Hewitt very close. He played really well, and was dominating a lot of points. Lleyton looked a bit uncomfortable.

From BBC:

Marray pushed sixth seed Lleyton Hewitt to the limit before succumbing 7-6 (7/2) 7-6 (10/8).

Marray forced six set-points in the 12th game of the first set, and saved four match-points along the way, but Hewitt proved just too strong.

"I'm a bit disappointed I didn't take it to three [sets]," Marray told the BBC, "but I had a great time and it was a great atmosphere.

"I felt a little nervous before but once I got out there I really enjoyed it. I stuck to my gameplan and I think I caused him a few problems so I'm pretty happy."

Hewitt was fulsome in his praise for the young Briton.

"He played extremely well - he served extremely well for the whole match," said Hewitt.

"In the end I just played the bigger points better in the tie-break.

"He obviously enjoys coming to the net and he played a lot of good low volleys."
Vechelaux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:21 PM
country flag Rex
Registered User
 
Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Tennis Courts
Age: 27
Posts: 985
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

true say all the way!!!!!!

Nieminen- The lucky lefty of tennis.
Sampras- The hairy champion of tennis.
Ferrero- The mosquito of tennis.
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Registered User
 
BaselineSmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sopot
Age: 33
Posts: 1,477
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

Grand performance, and far better than anyone could possibly have hoped for. I just hope he can build on this and make inroads at Nottingham, and turn in a respectable display at Wimbledon.
BaselineSmash is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Registered User
 
Kiara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,857
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

omg that was such an awesome match, great stuff from both players, especially Johnny Marray. I was one of the 20 people in there cheering for Hewitt
Marray has one of the most matural s/v games I've seen, he's completely at home at the net there wasnt anything he couldnt do there, plus he was serving incredibly confidently, he definitely played the match of his life!

Lleyton was having trouble getting his 1st serves in during the 1st set and Johnny was all over his second serve and has about a million break points which Hewitt managed to save. He got his first serve in when it really mattered.
He had about 3 foot faults in the first set alone and kept giving the line judge dirty looks, he got his serve working again towards the end of the second set At one point Lleyton was 0-30 down and served 3 aces in a row Hewitt lobbed beautifully throughout the whole match the 1st set tb was all Hewitt but Johnny saved about 3 match points in the 2nd set tb, Lleyton got the first match point in the tb and screamed "C'MON" but no one could hear him cos the crowd was cheering so loudly for Johnny, it was like a football match . Awesome stuff, definitely the best match of the week.
Kiara is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara
omg that was such an awesome match, great stuff from both players, especially Johnny Marray. I was one of the 20 people in there cheering for Hewitt
Marray has one of the most matural s/v games I've seen, he's completely at home at the net there wasnt anything he couldnt do there, plus he was serving incredibly confidently, he definitely played the match of his life!

Lleyton was having trouble getting his 1st serves in during the 1st set and Johnny was all over his second serve and has about a million break points which Hewitt managed to save. He got his first serve in when it really mattered.
He had about 3 foot faults in the first set alone and kept giving the line judge dirty looks, he got his serve working again towards the end of the second set At one point Lleyton was 0-30 down and served 3 aces in a row Hewitt lobbed beautifully throughout the whole match the 1st set tb was all Hewitt but Johnny saved about 3 match points in the 2nd set tb, Lleyton got the first match point in the tb and screamed "C'MON" but no one could hear him cos the crowd was cheering so loudly for Johnny, it was like a football match . Awesome stuff, definitely the best match of the week.
Thanks for that report!

During the match, it looked like Marray was having a good time out there.
star is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Registered User
 
MissPovaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 33
Posts: 9,119
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

It all reminds me of the early big matches Tim Henman played
MissPovaFan is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 PM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 33
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

tnx Kiara...

wow, sounds like a great match from both players

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered User
 
Auscon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perth, W.A.
Age: 32
Posts: 4,363
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara
mattered.
At one point Lleyton was 0-30 down and served 3 aces in a row
That'd have to be a first

Wish I couldve seen the match
Auscon is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Registered User
 
MissPovaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 33
Posts: 9,119
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

I think the fact that Britain used him in the Davis Cup match against Luxembourg proves that they feel he has a bright future ahead of him.
MissPovaFan is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Registered User
 
BaselineSmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sopot
Age: 33
Posts: 1,477
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

And the embarassing fact that Marray won more games in the space of two sets against Hewitt than Henman did during the entirety of the Wimbledon semi-final in 2002.
BaselineSmash is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
MissPovaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 33
Posts: 9,119
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselineSmash
And the embarassing fact that Marray won more games in the space of two sets against Hewitt than Henman did during the entirety of the Wimbledon semi-final in 2002.
MissPovaFan is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,563
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

Jonathan Marray played really well and has quietly improved his ranking by over 100 places in 2 or 3 months and I am sure he will go up even further now.

After all the embarrassingly over the top coverage of Ian Flanagan's wins, it is clear Marray is the better prospect after watching both matches yesterday.

Well done to Ian Flanagan for beating Mark Philippoussis but I think it was quite arrogant of him to say he deserves Nottingham and Wimbledon wildcards. Arvind Parmar is ranked 157 and has had a good year on the Challenger circuit and he has had to go through a play off to win a Wimbledon wildcard, and he did win it today. He deserves it more in my mind for going out on the Challenger tour and trying to improve. Flanagan has a lot more to do to prove he is a real special prospect in my mind and the hype was quite embarrassing.
Raquel is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Registered User
 
Kiara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,857
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
Jonathan Marray played really well and has quietly improved his ranking by over 100 places in 2 or 3 months and I am sure he will go up even further now.

After all the embarrassingly over the top coverage of Ian Flanagan's wins, it is clear Marray is the better prospect after watching both matches yesterday.
To be honest I didnt think anything of Johnny at all the first time I saw him play against Rochus or Delgado, i thought he was quite "meh" he definitely didnt play anywhere as near as well as he did yesterday, even Hewitt said so :
"He played better today than he had in the first two rounds from what I've heard from other people."
but he was a star out there yesterday and if he can keep it up there's no reason why he cant do well at Wimbledon, the grass clearly suits his game and he has the crowd behind him all the way.

on the otherhand Flanagan's performance against Mark was stunning but it was only one match, the hype he got for it was ridiculous. It was strange I saw him in the hallway the day before, walked past him not knowing who he was and 30 minutes after he has beaten Mark, people were swarming around him, taking pics asking for autographs, tv crew running behind him...he was allocated 2 security guards it was rather hilarious to see him go down in flames that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
Arvind Parmar is ranked 157 and has had a good year on the Challenger circuit and he has had to go through a play off to win a Wimbledon wildcard, and he did win it today. He deserves it more in my mind for going out on the Challenger tour and trying to improve. Flanagan has a lot more to do to prove he is a real special prospect in my mind and the hype was quite embarrassing.
Agreed well done to Arvind for earning his way through, it would be interesting to see how well Flanagan does at Roehampton
Kiara is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered User
 
Aleksa's Laydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: *dreams of sweden*
Age: 29
Posts: 24,588
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

stupid english media!! LOL

jonny marrays good, in time he'l learn how to take those sets points and will go far


Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered User
 
MissPovaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 33
Posts: 9,119
                     
Re: Marray scares Hewitt

I think it looks like Jonny Marray is the best prospect rather than Ian Flanagan but hopefully they both succeed at a high level! On another note I am actually currently living in Swansea (Wales) and it was very cringing the way the Welsh media in particular overhyped and hijacked Flanagan's Queens performances - they always do it to any Welshman with a tiny bit of success - its become very boring
MissPovaFan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome