Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent
Like the previous thread where deivid and myself had the convo about the 8 players and divided them into groups of 2 and seeing who had the more potential for success from Gasquet, Murray, Baghdatis, Berdych, Verdasco, Djokovic, Monfils and del Potro.
This time we have 8 players, but there will be no groups. It will be like how I run the Liked/Disliked players thread, rate from then to 1 to 8. One being the best and 8 the worst. Give reasons if possible, it will make it more interesting to read.
Yes, their GS results will be updated as they compete in them and follow the progression of them into top players for some and others maybe not. For the most part I tried to get them in the same age, but Tsonga is here mainly because 2007 was his 1st full season without injury problems.
Success, well that would mean best potential or which one of them will win GS titles and TMC/TMS titles in the future.
The list of 8 are
There is some variety among these players. Tsonga and big Sam with the huge shots, Zverev with the serve/volley, Korolev huge groundies, Gulbis has good variation. Young plays differently as he isn't all about the power. Cilic has very good work ethic and Bolelli could do well in some clay events.
It's a shame I have to write this now, after Tsonga's run, it will sound very biased.
1. Querrey (American, big serve, hard worker on court);
2. Tsonga (the most talented, but unfortunately injury prone);
3. Cilic (good game overall, not many flaws, good mentality);
4. Bolelli (solid off both wings, good game overall - his problem is having one of the worst returns of serve on tour);
5. Gulbis (overrated for sure - has big shots but is a ballbasher and when off has a huge drop in level);
6. Zverev (lots of touch, amazing talent - unfortunately tennis today is all about power and not touch, so he's not in a good position);
7. Young (Rochus is an exception, not a rule - too short/weak for the physical necessities of nowadays);
8. Korolev (ultra-overrated - ballbasher, awful shot selection and a general weak mental side).
Bellucci sucks. Ballbasher, no touch, huge swings, poor shot selection. If he ever gets in the top 100 he should be happy and frame the rankings' printed homepage of that day.