Best 'peak' Player - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Greatest 'peak' Player
JesusFed 61 46.92%
Marat Safin 40 30.77%
Andre Agassi 5 3.85%
Pete Sampras 13 10.00%
John McEnroe 4 3.08%
Ivan Lendl 2 1.54%
Bjorn Borg 4 3.08%
Rod Laver 1 0.77%
Jimmy Connors 0 0%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
FedererSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 548
                     
Best 'peak' Player

This is my first thread on MTF so don't kill me.

There is an obvious difference between playing ability and actual acheivements. For instance Rios/Nalbandian never won a slam but Thomas Johansson did?

With reference to the WTA, Serena Williams has a low number of slam's compared to the greats but is cited by many commentators, such as McEnroe, as having an equal playing ability when peaked.

So this thread is for us to discusss who is the best player when 'in the zone' or at their 'peak performance'.

The options are (open era only):

- JesusFed
- Marat Safin
- Pete Sampras
- Andre Agassi
- John McEnroe
- Bjorn Borg
- Rod Laver
- Jimmy Connors
- Ivan Lendl

Please state otherwise if their is a glaring ommission.

Roger Federer
16 Grand Slam Titles
The Serena Slam
27 Grand Slam Titles
FedererSlam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 29
Posts: 5,572
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

My only question is what the hell is Safin doing in that poll with all those players

NALBANDIAN / SAFIN / FERRERO / MOYA / LUCZAK / DEL POTRO




Berdych - Andreev - Acasuso - Mathieu - Tursunov - Gaudio - Simon



Vliegen * Malisse * Chela * Zabaleta * Gasquet * Calleri * Djokovic * Starace


Retired and not so active players¬

SJENG SCHALKEN [] PAT RAFTER [] THOMAS MUSTER [] GUGA KUERTEN


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


MARIA KIRILENKO
ufokart is offline  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 284
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Given the current opinion of GM, Nalbandian would seem to be a glaring omission.
That tennis kid is offline  
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

The others may have more titles, slams, spent more weeks at #1 but Marat has that quality that puts him above the rest.
Jimnik is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered User
 
TMJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,682
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Safin, without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcempire View Post
Suck SUCK

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
FedererSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 548
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

If we take 2005 aussie open as Marat peaked I think JesusFed of 2006 early 07 would defeat that Safin...

Roger Federer
16 Grand Slam Titles
The Serena Slam
27 Grand Slam Titles
FedererSlam is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 229
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Richard Krajicek
Wolbo is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,472
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedererSlam View Post
This is my first thread on MTF so don't kill me.

There is an obvious difference between playing ability and actual acheivements. For instance Rios/Nalbandian never won a slam but Thomas Johansson did?

With reference to the WTA, Serena Williams has a low number of slam's compared to the greats but is cited by many commentators, such as McEnroe, as having an equal playing ability when peaked.

So this thread is for us to discusss who is the best player when 'in the zone' or at their 'peak performance'.

The options are (open era only):

- JesusFed
- Marat Safin
- Pete Sampras
- Andre Agassi
- John McEnroe
- Bjorn Borg
- Rod Laver
- Jimmy Connors
- Ivan Lendl

Please state otherwise if their is a glaring ommission.

one of several questions I have is how the hell you consider "in the zone" and "at your peak" the same thing.

In the zone is when you just on fire during a match, in which case the obvious answer to that is Fernando Gonzalez who isn't even an option.

At your peak is the time (like at what age) you were playing your best tennis. Current Federer is better than anyone else's best period of tennis.
Dimonator133 is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 29
Posts: 5,572
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Exactly how do you determine the players in your poll?

I mean, Safin has 2 slams and all the others have at least 8 and are mostly considered tennis legends, why is he on this list?
Or are you implying that safin "at his peak" is comparable to those other guys

You should change Safin and put Becker, Edberg or Wilander if you want the poll to make sense

NALBANDIAN / SAFIN / FERRERO / MOYA / LUCZAK / DEL POTRO




Berdych - Andreev - Acasuso - Mathieu - Tursunov - Gaudio - Simon



Vliegen * Malisse * Chela * Zabaleta * Gasquet * Calleri * Djokovic * Starace


Retired and not so active players¬

SJENG SCHALKEN [] PAT RAFTER [] THOMAS MUSTER [] GUGA KUERTEN


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


MARIA KIRILENKO
ufokart is offline  
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
FedererSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 548
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonator133 View Post
one of several questions I have is how the hell you consider "in the zone" and "at your peak" the same thing.

In the zone is when you just on fire during a match, in which case the obvious answer to that is Fernando Gonzalez who isn't even an option.

At your peak is the time (like at what age) you were playing your best tennis. Current Federer is better than anyone else's best period of tennis.
Sorry I mean in the zone then...a player's best performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokart View Post
Exactly how do you determine the players in your poll?

I mean, Safin has 2 slams and all the others have at least 8 and are mostly considered tennis legends, why is he on this list?
Or are you implying that safin "at his peak" is comparable to those other guys

You should change Safin and put Becker, Edberg or Wilander if you want the poll to make sense
Yes I am implying that...have you ever seen Safin at his best? He's probably not capable of producing it anymore but it was atleast second best of this era...

Roger Federer
16 Grand Slam Titles
The Serena Slam
27 Grand Slam Titles
FedererSlam is offline  
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,472
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedererSlam View Post
Sorry I mean in the zone then...a player's best performance.



Yes I am implying that...have you ever seen Safin at his best? He's probably not capable of producing it anymore but it was atleast second best of this era...

that does make some sense. Safin-Sampras at the U.S. Open was one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen.
Dimonator133 is offline  
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
FedererSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 548
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Fed is winning comfortably so far however.

Roger Federer
16 Grand Slam Titles
The Serena Slam
27 Grand Slam Titles
FedererSlam is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Fan of Mugs
 
Allure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,424
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Federer. The AO match against Roddick that was his peak and I can guarantee no one would have beaten him on that day.
Allure is offline  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cylon Base Ship
Posts: 12,385
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Is this even any debate? Federer all the way.
FedFan_2007 is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Registered User
 
stebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 11,530
                     
Re: Best 'peak' Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonator133 View Post
In the zone is when you just on fire during a match, in which case the obvious answer to that is Fernando Gonzalez who isn't even an option.
The only answer to that would be someone who has great strokes on both wings, a good serve and good volleys because those are the things which would become good when 'in the zone'. Gonzalez doesn't have such a good backhand, Federer or Safin would both outplay Gonzalez at their respective peaks as they have all of the things I mentioned.

Champions deserve whatever they win playing within the laws of the game
stebs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome