Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era" - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

In this clip, aired in Sweden prior to the start of the Stockholm Open, the discussion touches upon the so-called "clown era" toward the end of the it. First, at around 10:45, Maria Strandlund-Tomsvik says (freely translated from Swedish): "The competition is so much tougher now than a few years ago. It's become more professional." The moderator then asks Björkman: "Jonas, how do you perceive this difference - being a top player back then as opposed to now?" Björkman replies: "There's a big difference. It could sound strange... I'm ranked maybe around 55th today and I'm a much, much... MUCH better tennis player today than I was in 1997 when I was ranked 4th. This is because the tennis has evolved so much."

Don't even bother responding - we all already know the answer: Björkman is a mug! Yeah, right! :retard:

Last edited by KaxMisha; 10-15-2007 at 01:08 AM.
KaxMisha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

MUG

It's more competitive, but less quality.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
MUG

It's more competitive, but less quality.
So Björkman feels he's a much better player, yet is ranked some fifty places lower, because the quality is lower? Yeah, makes sense to me too!
KaxMisha is offline  
post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:10 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
So Björkman feels he's a much better player, yet is ranked some fifty places lower, because the quality is lower? Yeah, makes sense to me too!
I don't think he's better now, he was better in 1997 when he played Rusedski in New York.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Last dance, Andy
 
tangerine_dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York New Englander
Posts: 25,439
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

KaxMisha is a mug. :retard:

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."


Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline  
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
I don't think he's better now, he was better in 1997 when he played Rusedski in New York.
I don't remember his 1997 level clearly enough to judge that (I was just 12 back then), but surely, he has no reason saying he's better now if that is not the case? I mean, what's in it for him? Why would he lie about that?
KaxMisha is offline  
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Anyone who has watched the game over the past 20 years would agree with Jonas. The athleticism of the players has improved so much it's unbelieveable. Watch tennis from the mid 80's--one good FH and the point was practically over on non-clay surfaces. Now, a player can hit 3 or 4 huge FH's and still lose the point because of the athletic level of the players. This is just one tiny part of the whole but it's just an illustration. Agassi has also said more or less what Jonas says and his career spanned through many generations of greats.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
KaxMisha is a mug. :retard:
Oh... oh! The retard who has never presented anything close to a logical argument (and fails to do so yet again) calls me a mug! Oh! I care so much! Seriously, present an argument or shut the fuck up, fangirl.
KaxMisha is offline  
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
I don't remember his 1997 level clearly enough to judge that (I was just 12 back then), but surely, he has no reason saying he's better now if that is not the case? I mean, what's in it for him? Why would he lie about that?
When the likes of Boredo make it to 5 in the world you know this is a clown era.

Federer is not being tested and pisses through every non-clay tourney he plays in. Players with the games to bother him choke.

CLOWN ERA.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 PM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Mug.
adee-gee is offline  
post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Last dance, Andy
 
tangerine_dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York New Englander
Posts: 25,439
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
Oh... oh! The retard who has never presented anything close to a logical argument (and fails to do so yet again) calls me a mug! Oh! I care so much! Seriously, present an argument or shut the fuck up, fangirl.
I save my good arguments for intelligent people not for mugs like you.

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."


Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline  
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Thanks, interesting stuff

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Anyone who has watched the game over the past 20 years would agree with Jonas. The athleticism of the players has improved so much it's unbelieveable. Watch tennis from the mid 80's--one good FH and the point was practically over on non-clay surfaces. Now, a player can hit 3 or 4 huge FH's and still lose the point because of the athletic level of the players. This is just one tiny part of the whole but it's just an illustration. Agassi has also said more or less what Jonas says and his career spanned through many generations of greats.
If you say he's right, that's good enough for me. I'd rather trust your judgement on this than anyone else's on MTF, seeing as I cannot really judge for myself (unless I go through a rediculous amount of nineties matches now, which I don't have the time to do). So if this should be so obvious, why are we hearing these "clown era" allegations? Is it only because there are few multiple slam winners? One would think people should realize this is a practical impossibility if two guys devide them all up between themselves...
KaxMisha is offline  
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Is "mug" the new word used to close down any argument without needing to actually debate the issue using logic?

It's already old....
scoobs is offline  
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,949
                     
Re: Jonas Björkman's take on this so-called "clown era"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
When the likes of Boredo make it to 5 in the world you know this is a clown era.

Federer is not being tested and pisses through every non-clay tourney he plays in. Players with the games to bother him choke.

CLOWN ERA.
This isnt about who is ranked where and how easy Federer strolls through tourneys.

This is about the overall improvement in the game from then compared to now. NYC illustrated how much stronger, athletic and more physical the game has become.

For example. Rod Laver was 5'8. Could he have done all he did at such at height nowadays?

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome