Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish... - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Anyone know what he said?

It was after an overrule in the 2nd set against Berdych?

Right before he told the ump: "You suck. That's why you shouldn't be ruling these matches..."
Tennis Fool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

i'm not sure about the policy when it comes to offense in different languages, but i remember haas yelling at an umpire in german some years ago, he didn't get fined for that though it was blatantly obvious to any native german speaker that he was offending the linesman big time.
Stensland is offline  
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
JustJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 27
Posts: 2,766
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
i'm not sure about the policy when it comes to offense in different languages, but i remember haas yelling at an umpire in german some years ago, he didn't get fined for that though it was blatantly obvious to any native german speaker that he was offending the linesman big time.
What did did he say? [auf deutsch...]
JustJames is offline  
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

i don't remember exactly, but it was either "blinder affe" or "blinder idiot". it was fun because he was standing in a corner of the court where microphones were placed. so actually, haas didn't think it could be heard anywhere. maybe the actual umpire didn't hear it, but the whole audience at home basically did.

could it be that fines can only be placed on a player if the umpire actually witnesses the insult? maybe that's how he got out of it.

on the other hand: roddick screamed "fuck you!" to a linesman at the aussie open this year and didn't get fined. so i guess it's not that big a deal apparently.
Stensland is offline  
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
JustJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 27
Posts: 2,766
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
i don't remember exactly, but it was either "blinder affe" or "blinder idiot". it was fun because he was standing in a corner of the court where microphones were placed. so actually, haas didn't think it could be heard anywhere. maybe the actual umpire didn't hear it, but the whole audience at home basically did.

could it be that fines can only be placed on a player if the umpire actually witnesses the insult? maybe that's how he got out of it.

on the other hand: roddick screamed "fuck you!" to a linesman at the aussie open this year and didn't get fined. so i guess it's not that big a deal apparently.
A bit nasty [of what ethnicity was the umpire? ]!

Yeah that could be the case. Also apparently it depends on the type of the insult, how and where it is directed etc... I think a lot of it is at the umpire's digression.
JustJames is offline  
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,231
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

These fines are given after the match with no big deal about it. Every throwing a racquet is actually fined, in case you didn't know. If every single fine (they are not very high btw) was about to have a separate topic on MTF, it would be even more messy than is now.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesObv. View Post
A bit nasty [of what ethnicity was the umpire? ]!
the haas one or the roddick one (referring to the "nasty")?

i don't know about the umpire. haas's match was a first week one, so i think it was no big court and therefore i guess no well-known umpire.
Stensland is offline  
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
JustJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 27
Posts: 2,766
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
the haas one or the roddick one (referring to the "nasty")?

i don't know about the umpire. haas's match was a first week one, so i think it was no big court and therefore i guess no well-known umpire.
The Haas one [nowhere near as bad as Roddick's though...to put it into perspective] Ah rite, thanks for the info.
JustJames is offline  
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
These fines are given after the match with no big deal about it. Every throwing a racquet is actually fined, in case you didn't know. If every single fine (they are not very high btw) was about to have a separate topic on MTF, it would be even more messy than is now.
your're right, but if it was me back then, i'd have roddick disqualified for that comment. that's not a pure insult, that's the absolute opposite of how a atp pro is supposed to behave. he'd have had to walk off the court if i'd been the umpire or linesman in the match, i'd have sent him packing.
Stensland is offline  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesObv. View Post
The Haas one [nowhere near as bad as Roddick's though...to put it into perspective] Ah rite, thanks for the info.
you know the german language? wow, quite unusual for a brit.
Stensland is offline  
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,231
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
your're right, but if it was me back then, i'd have roddick disqualified for that comment. that's not a pure insult, that's the absolute opposite of how a atp pro is supposed to behave. he'd have had to walk off the court if i'd been the umpire or linesman in the match, i'd have sent him packing.
He should have been given a violation code for that, and maybe even he was, during advertisment break or when the camera was elsewhere. He would have been disqualified if said "fuck you" three times - first time is a warning, second is a penalty point. It is relevant that the violation must be of the same kind, for example if he said "fuck you" twice and then got a warning for timewasting, he would be still on court.

As for James, he studies German linguistics - VERY unusual for a Brit

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post

As for James, he studies German linguistics -
really?! what's he gonna do with that in britain? he'll be jobless, i guess.

or the sun or daily mail hire him for making up new headlines about the krauts.
Stensland is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
He should have been given a violation code for that, and maybe even he was, during advertisment break or when the camera was elsewhere. He would have been disqualified if said "fuck you" three times - first time is a warning, second is a penalty point. It is relevant that the violation must be of the same kind, for example if he said "fuck you" twice and then got a warning for timewasting, he would be still on court.
how childish is that of the atp? in soccer, when a guy even whispers stuff like "you're blind" or anything, he'd walk off the pitch. and in tennis, one of the most snobbish sports around, you'd have to say "fuck you" twice in order to even get a penalty point? that's ridiculous!
Stensland is offline  
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch
 
Björki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 49,872
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

who is the umpire in Björkmans match?
Björki is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
JustJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 27
Posts: 2,766
                     
Re: Bjorkman cursing out ump in Swedish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
really?! what's he gonna do with that in britain? he'll be jobless, i guess.

or the sun or daily mail hire him for making up new headlines about the krauts.
There are actually a lot of jobs for German speakers [at the moment there is a shortage in GB] because Germany are Britain's biggest EU trading partners...so many companies need people to translate, interpret etc
And yeah it is quite unusual..people in England don't consider a language to be of any importance because "everybody speaks English, so what's the point?!"

Actually the best/worst newspaper for articles about "krauts" is The Daily Express..every other day there is a new story loosely based around the same title of "Hitler's secret plans to..." [it's either that or a story about Princess Diana...which gives you an idea as to the quality of the newspaper ]
JustJames is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome