Lleyton Hewitt is considering legal action against the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) after being fined $103,000 at the Cincinnati Masters tournament last week.
Sydney's Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported that the world number one had referred the matter to his lawyers.
Australian Hewitt was fined by the ATP for not doing a television interview before a first-round match at the Cincinnati tournament.
But Hewitt argued that he had already agreed with the broadcaster, ESPN, to do the interview after the match.
"ESPN was satisfied with that," said Hewitt.
"(ATP boss) Mark Miles was satisfied with that and the tournament director was satisfied with that but there was one guy, the PR
manager (Matt Rapp), who wasn't."
Hewitt has appealed against his fine but admitted he was disgruntled with the whole tour, which he described as a badly-run "circus".
"It's a great sport - if the ATP would just get out of the way," Hewitt told the Sunday Telegraph.
"I'll change my schedule next year if the ATP keep up with this garbage.
"You have to ask why men's tennis is struggling and you have to start by looking at the top.
"There are times you feel like (walking away) and pulling on the boots and playing footy (Australian football)."
Hewitt said he would sometimes rather be at home in Adelaide watching the Adelaide Crows AFL team.