Mens Tennis Forums banner

Europe/Africa Group II 1st Round: Estonia at Ireland (February 1-3, 2013)

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Jovard 
#1 ·
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100019741

Europe Group II 1st Round
Date: 01 Feb - 03 Feb 2013
Venue: David Lloyd Riverview, Dublin, Ireland
Start times:
Day 1: 1600 hrs (1600 hrs GMT)
Day 2: 1600 hrs (1600 hrs GMT)
Day 3: 1300 hrs (1300 hrs GMT)
Surface: Hard (Proflex Hardcourt), Indoor
Ball: Babolat Team

Ireland:

James MCGEE
Sam BARRY
Colin O'BRIEN
James CLUSKEY

Estonia:

Vladimir IVANOV
Markus KERNER
Jaan KONONOV
Marek MARKSOO

See less See more
#3 ·
Indeed we are :lol:

#7 · (Edited)
Friday 1st February

James McGee def. Jaan Kononov 6-0 6-1 6-3

James played a solid match against the young unknown and unranked Estonian. He was just too consistent for Kononov in all departments. The tennis wasn't pretty at times but James did what needed to be done - Get the first win on the board. Kononov had a decent forehand and backhand but really wasn't able to penetrate McGee's defence with most of the points ending with an error from the Estonian. One notable thing about this player is that he had a bit of a tubby on him :eek: although he seemed to move fine around the court. He improved as the match wore on and even managed to break James early in the 3rd but that was as good as it got for him. James was all round the better player and the scoreline says it all really.

Vladimir Ivanov def. Sam Barry 3-6 6-2 6-3 7-6

This match was highly competitive as both players have similar gamestyles and abilities. Sam the younger by 4 years, raced off to a healthy lead early on and closed out the 1st set quite comfortably 6-3. All seemed to be going good, but I always had a feeling Sam might not have enough mental strength to see this one out. Ivanov, Estonia's number 2 behind the injured Jurgen Zopp played well with big serves and forehands. Barry also was serving big and getting a lot of aces. However he made too many unforced errors through out the match and couldn't get a stranglehold on his opponent, particuarly at the beginnig of the 2nd set. Ivanov just played well enough to get by young Sam winning the 2nd and 3rd sets without trouble and closed out a tight tiebreak in the 4th to level the tie going into day 2.

James McGee

Jaan Kononov

Sam Barry

Vladimir Ivanov

#9 ·
There was a group of about 10 at the back, their chanting contributed to a brilliant atmosphere! I think they were Irish living Estonians as I can't imagine them all making the trip from their homeland

#10 ·
There are a lot of Estonians living and working in Ireland. Ireland is one of the most popular destinations for Estonians who are moving abroad for better life. And if Zopp had played I am sure there would have been way more Estonians in the crowd.

#11 ·
In 20 mins - @Tennis_Ireland: Ireland has changed their doubles nomination to Sam Barry/James McGee. Estonia remain as Vladimir Ivanov / Marek Marksoo #IrlvEst

This post has been deleted
#21 · (Edited)
Well done boys, dodged a bullet there. Would have been a disaster if we lost it! Let's see it out tomorrow! Good luck James and Sam, super comeback win in the 5th set

Saved 2 matchpoints in the end :rocker2:

#29 ·
And if Finland lost next round, I'd rather see Estonia advancing.

Even though I like both Estonia and Ireland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.