- View Single Post - Developing your game
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 PM
country flag dunlopkickserve
Re: Developing your game

Originally Posted by Super Djoker View Post
Hi everyone my names Matt , I am a recreational player who has been playing for about 3 and a half years. I come from Shropshire in England.

I started out just getting coaching at a local club. When I started playing at the club I still hadn't mastered the art of the serve , I bowled it in and did so for about 3 months until I saw a different coach where I quickly learnt a flat serve . [/. ]The first coach to teach me a serve was trying to teach me a topspin serve . I got to grips with how to hit the topspin serve shortly after . To cut a long story short I can now do a topspin and flat serve as well as a kick serve (and a few variations of the kick), And also a slice serve . I am quite bad tempered sometimes .

But recently my game seems to have declined .At doubles I play very well . Very aggressive with good placement but at singles I seem to have lost something , somebody I used to have close games with has beaten me 6-0 in our last 2 full sets and it's really frustrating . I can't get it past him . He plays almost the exact same kind of game as me only he has a huge serve . Mine is pretty big but I serve with more variety . Any tips on what to do with my game , Also how has your game changed since you started tennis ?
TBH wouldn't bother spending the money to get coached up on serving. Spend the money on getting a hopper and a few cans of balls. I unfortunately haven't had the chance to get any coaching, but I've gotten myself to a 4.0 level by playing a lot of matches and putting the time in on my serve. In fact, it's my biggest weapon. If you just work on technique you can get it over 100+ mph with a little work. I've modeled my serve after Tommy Haas and it's worked very well for me throughout the past 10 years.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome