The "What we love about David" thread - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Joyce_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rotterdam
Age: 33
Posts: 1,150
                     
The "What we love about David" thread

I was going through these forums and saw that David is not the most popular player...to say it mildly... All these people seem to have reasons to dislike him, him being 'fat' a big one of them. Apparantly it is wrong to not be skinny...
Anyway I decided to create a new thread where we can post what we like about him. If all these people are able to say why they hate him then we should be able to say why we like him! What made you decide to become a supporter of Nalby?

I'll start:
-First off, simple; his tennis. The guy has amazing talent and should win a Slam sometime since it's not fair that someone with his potential doesn't have one.
-I also love how he never changes for anybody, he says what he wants to say and never acts. Sure, it leads to some unfortunate quotes sometimes but the guy is always himself. I respect that.
-Finally, I saw him at a tournament once and the guy is humble and friendly, in fact I saw lesser players there who had more attitude then he had.

So people, why do you love/ like Dave?

Vamos David and Juan Carlos

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.

Last edited by Joyce_23; 11-23-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Joyce_23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 442
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

For his tennis. Because even if I wanted in better shape, though according to people that I know close to the AAT (the argie tennis asociation) he still is affected by his injury, he is learning to play with that chronical problem and re-learning some way to hit, his mind is incredible. He's the better game reader, planner of the circuit and has the talentwise to be again number 3 (I wish he played more tournaments)

Because he does everything for the Davis, wich is his way to represent his country: he plays every round, even injured (when others want to be there only for the semis or quater and are always injured for the first round: Gaudio), losing money and even points (not participating in tournaments), and playing doubles to be more trainned: when he was barely up for Wimbledon (meaning: only a couple of days before the tournament he could start to play again), he played doubles there wich obviously made him more tired. The same with the indoor season. Risking a new injury.

Because he's a very nice guy with the fans, he's always there for benefic events and has the best mood when he's resting and people ask him for things every two seconds.

Because he tells the things he thinks: he doesn't go to the easy way to please the media or the ATP. Or even his colleagues.

Because he didn't change at all with the fame: he still stays with his mom, his friends, his people, etc. Because he's not a diva.

Because he has guts in court (even when he sometimes you can't understand why he likes the things complicated) and because he likes challenges.

Because sometimes he's like a kid: peeking inside the red jar he got in Shangai the past year (he looked so cute trying to guess what that jar was), because he's unpredictable (I read in a forum that, in the middle of a interivew after the fMC final he asked for a bathroom to pee ) , because he's funny as hell when he's confortable with the press.

Becausethe way he acted this week with the dead of his newphew and how, even when he asked to retired the sign because it was hurting him see the little boy's name, he understood the girls had the best intention and in the middle of his pain, he tried to make sure the girls knew he wasn't mad at them (he gave them something after the game)

Because he's a leader...

Because he's cute too
Galathea is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 442
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

Quote:
I was going through these forums and saw that David is not the most popular player...to say it mildly... All these people seem to have reasons to hate him, him being 'fat' a big one of them. Apparantly it is wrong to not be skinny...
Also, he could be not very popular, but I wouldn't call it "hate"...
Some of the Fat things are with bad intention, but others are like a nickname.
What pissed a lot of people is his not to much dedication to the sport when he has more talent that problably five ten tops together. Or the fact that he's not regular. And sometimes, that can look like someone takes the things for granted.
You'll see that as a talent he's very respected. And some people don't understand that with that talent he doesn't seem to train or care enough, according to them, of course.
And, when his godson died, the thread was the most visited of the tournament, and all said nice things to him... If you hate someone, you don't wish bad and probably you'll feel sorry, but you don't post showing support.
I think he's not popular because he doesn't care for the international press at all. Other people are always there for pcitures, etc. But he's a lot requiered for signs and photos for the public.
So, a lot of critics for him.... but I wouldn't call it "hate"
Galathea is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 218
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

I think Joyce suggested a really nice thread, but Galathea obviously presents here an artificially idealiazed portrait of David. We all know that David is far from being an angel. It's not because of how nice of a person he is that we love and support him.
Apart some subjective reasons, I personally support David because of the tremendous potential he has. It's a shame that he's not on the very top of tennis right now, and I still believe that he will be there, one day.
And no, I don't think anybody hates him, even if they call him Fat, Choker etc. Critics are generally right. Great things are expected from him, but his results are truly disappointing - that's why people are kind of mad with him. Many, including myself, get fustrated with his mental letdowns and inability to close important matches. I personally don't even remember a single important match where he didn't choke in some way, except maybe vs Hewitt in DC last year.
As for being called FatDave, we all know that David is not fat. It's probably coming from the fact that he is not known as a hardest working player on tour. ESPN commentators commented on that during the Roddick match few days ago, quoting Calleri and Gaudio.
Kiank is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 442
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiank View Post
I think Joyce suggested a really nice thread, but Galathea obviously presents here an artificially idealiazed portrait of David. We all know that David is far from being an angel. It's not because of how nice of a person he is that we love and support him. Apart some subjective reasons, I personally support David because of the tremendous potential he has. It's a shame that he's not on the very top of tennis right now, and I still believe that he will be there, one day.
And no, I don't think anybody hates him, even if they call him Fat, Choker etc. Critics are generally right. Great things are expected from him, but his results are truly disappointing - that's why people are kind of mad with him. Many, including myself, get fustrated with his mental letdowns and inability to close important matches. I personally don't even remember a single important match where he didn't choke in some way, except maybe vs Hewitt in DC last year.
As for being called FatDave, we all know that David is not fat. It's probably coming from the fact that he is not known as a hardest working player on tour. ESPN commentators commented on that during the Roddick match few days ago, quoting Calleri and Gaudio.

Okay, honey . WTF said David was an angel? And what part is the artificially idealiazed portrait of David ?
You live in USA? I live in ARgentina. The information that I got about him is more than what you have. I'm sure about it. Because the international press doesn't care about him too much, or only when he's having a fight.

1 David is the best game planner of the circuit. Am I dreamming when even people at the english TV said that he's the best reader of games? Regardless the result, even when he complicates the things, doesn't play enough, could be in better shape, etc... ALL things mentioned in the post (Yeah!, I bet that's the artificially idealiazed portrait )

2 do you know how many players don't go to the DC because there's not money? David did play injured this year and after that he coulnd't participate in the Argie Open, losing money, the past year cancelled a paid match to be in time for the croatian match (fight with Coria because he arrived a couple of days after the date), didn't he played more doubles this year? Didn't he say at least for the argie press (maybe you should learn spanish and read a little before talking) that he wanted to have more practice, specially because of the Davis.

3, while the major part of the players go around trying to be likeable to the press, David doesn't care. And says with no problem that a question is stupid and get mad if some journalist ask some stupidity. Argie press knows him better, and while he can be monosillabic when he doesn't want an interview, if not he's relaxed and very funny. Blunt and direct, but accesible....

He's nice, pointing that because the international press has the image of somekind of surly, broody, temperamental guy only. Is that an artificially idealiazed portrait? Clarifying that he's far from that picture some press always presents of him. Wow.. I didn't get the memo that this was an artificially idealiazed portrait of David! Specially when it's true.

4 , do you know how many times he colaborated with institutions without the press there and the public knew it later but still he doesn't want to talk about what he does helping... Did you know that days before the DC match here against Australia he spent the time with a boy with cancer (thanks to a fundation that helps ill children to meet their idols or go to some place)? Did you know that the original meeting was for less than an hour and Nalbandian expent the entire afternoon with the kid just because he wanted and even played tennis with him? Did you? Read argentine press.

Not only that, when he goes to some beach, he goes with his friends and he goes to the popular one, not some private place, so every two seconds, someone goes and ask him or greets him.... usually is in very good mood and he doesn't mind or goes, did you know that? It's very common of him... not some artificially idealiazed portrait....
While he's like that with fans, another players, like Henman treats badly a girl that goes to greet him. Or only go to events if the press is there.

5) He's the nicest guy with the press???? tries to conformate them?!!! No. Like I said. He's not like others players. He gives a sh**t about certain things, that sometimes he should care a little more because it's PR and creates a distorted image of him or at least incomplete. The same with some regulation from the ATP (you go and read more articules). And also, not only fights, but also if he has to make a critics and the player is a friend of him, he does it the same. (Read argie articules about it)

6) He has a lot of places, but spend the major time in Unquillo in his mother's house. Plus he still trains in the hard court his father and friends made 23 years ago (Ace Magazine, if you don't want to read in spanish).... Yes, that's artificially idealiazed portrait of David.....


7)Is it an artificially idealiazed portrait of David, saying what it was publicated in not only spanish, but the original was in enlgish about the sign (fight for little Lautaro) and how, he wanted to clarify to those people that he knew it was with the best will and good intention, but that it was hurting him?... How many players do you know that will react that way to the fans in the same situation?

8) Did you know that he and the argie team always after the DC matches plays in the central court infront of the same public with children with down syndrome? And it's not for the pictures, because they stop the celebration to do that, when obviously they want to sign, scream or whatever.. but they do it and spend a lot of time? Argie press in any match

So, besides being a talent that deserves to be 3 or at least top five (even when he infuriates fans because you can't understand him often why he does some things or some of his choices... and you're not alone in that, even if you support him, it's frustrating because you know the potential), etc he's like that as a person. Both things. He's not an angel.... I never said he was. But he's not only the surly, rude, temperamental guy the international press tends to show...

But of course, pointing that is artificially an idealiazed portrait of David.. pity, all of that it's corroborated by the press, at least argentine..... But of course, you probably don't know it.
Get better information before talking and dismiss people, that have way more information than you, obviously!
A FYI, the argentine press doesn't speak very good of him always. Probably we have more information or at least rumors that slips from David than you could ever dream about it. True or not, those rumors exist... So no, I didn't said it was Saint David.

Sorry, if I pointed facts or gestures that he has and I never saw reflected in the international press. Just for people outside argentina to know it. To show that not only he's an excellent player, with a lof of defects that goes against him. But with talent. And that he's not only or always the rude guy

Last edited by Galathea; 11-21-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Galathea is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:09 AM
Registered User
 
wenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney, AUS
Age: 25
Posts: 3,554
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

hey lets not start disagreemnets here...we're here to support David.

Anyways, i love Nalby cuz of his tennis...he has one of the best 2-handed backhands in the business.

I also think he shouldve atleast one Slam to his name...

He has also reached a few Masters Series finals...he shouldve got a few.

But still, Nalby is one of the best today becasue he has a lot of talent
wenty is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,695
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

Why do we love David?

- His tremendous talent and the variety of is game
- The way he stays true to himself. Sometimes that means he says things that are not politically correct or the media does not want to hear but he says it like it is.
- His passion for life. He lives life to the fullest. That often means he is bungee jumping or rally car racing or fishing or something else when he probably should be training. But he knows what he makes him happy and doesn't let what others think influence him.
- and last but certainly not least -- his adorable smile, beautiful eyes and just overall HOT!
Schu is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Joyce_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rotterdam
Age: 33
Posts: 1,150
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathea View Post
Sorry, if I pointed facts or gestures that he has and I never saw reflected in the international press. Just for people outside argentina to know it. To show that not only he's an excellent player, with a lof of defects that goes against him. But with talent. And that he's not only or always the rude guy
I got what you were trying to say, it has been brought to my attention before that many articles are written in Argentina (about David) that never see the world press, I guess it's that way in every country. For instance, I know more about Sluiter then any of you since we come from the same city. Yeah, that fact probably doesn't make anyone jealous...

Also, I guess I overstated the way people feel about David, you people are right when you say they don't hate him, he is just not as loved as Roger or Rafa. But then again, those players are dictating the game right now so it's natural for fans to admire them first.
I wanted to add two more reasons you guys have brought up I forgot:
-First, of course his backhand, the best in the game and always a joy to watch.
-Second, his dedication to the Davis Cup, even though it doesn't always benefit him.

But to keep things in perspective, there are also some things that bother me. I'm also not happy when he manages to not serve out a match again and sometimes he says things that he probably shouldn't say. (The Henman thing for instance) This thread was not about idolising him, I just wanted to start a thread that I felt a tennisplayer with his talent deserved.

Vamos David and Juan Carlos

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.
Joyce_23 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 218
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathea View Post
Okay, honey . WTF said David was an angel? And what part is the artificially idealiazed portrait of David ?
You live in USA? I live in ARgentina. The information that I got about him is more than what you have. I'm sure about it. Because the international press doesn't care about him too much, or only when he's having a fight.

1 David is the best game planner of the circuit. Am I dreamming when even people at the english TV said that he's the best reader of games? Regardless the result, even when he complicates the things, doesn't play enough, could be in better shape, etc... ALL things mentioned in the post (Yeah!, I bet that's the artificially idealiazed portrait )

2 do you know how many players don't go to the DC because there's not money? David did play injured this year and after that he coulnd't participate in the Argie Open, losing money, the past year cancelled a paid match to be in time for the croatian match (fight with Coria because he arrived a couple of days after the date), didn't he played more doubles this year? Didn't he say at least for the argie press (maybe you should learn spanish and read a little before talking) that he wanted to have more practice, specially because of the Davis.

3, while the major part of the players go around trying to be likeable to the press, David doesn't care. And says with no problem that a question is stupid and get mad if some journalist ask some stupidity. Argie press knows him better, and while he can be monosillabic when he doesn't want an interview, if not he's relaxed and very funny. Blunt and direct, but accesible....

He's nice, pointing that because the international press has the image of somekind of surly, broody, temperamental guy only. Is that an artificially idealiazed portrait? Clarifying that he's far from that picture some press always presents of him. Wow.. I didn't get the memo that this was an artificially idealiazed portrait of David! Specially when it's true.

4 , do you know how many times he colaborated with institutions without the press there and the public knew it later but still he doesn't want to talk about what he does helping... Did you know that days before the DC match here against Australia he spent the time with a boy with cancer (thanks to a fundation that helps ill children to meet their idols or go to some place)? Did you know that the original meeting was for less than an hour and Nalbandian expent the entire afternoon with the kid just because he wanted and even played tennis with him? Did you? Read argentine press.

Not only that, when he goes to some beach, he goes with his friends and he goes to the popular one, not some private place, so every two seconds, someone goes and ask him or greets him.... usually is in very good mood and he doesn't mind or goes, did you know that? It's very common of him... not some artificially idealiazed portrait....
While he's like that with fans, another players, like Henman treats badly a girl that goes to greet him. Or only go to events if the press is there.

5) He's the nicest guy with the press???? tries to conformate them?!!! No. Like I said. He's not like others players. He gives a sh**t about certain things, that sometimes he should care a little more because it's PR and creates a distorted image of him or at least incomplete. The same with some regulation from the ATP (you go and read more articules). And also, not only fights, but also if he has to make a critics and the player is a friend of him, he does it the same. (Read argie articules about it)

6) He has a lot of places, but spend the major time in Unquillo in his mother's house. Plus he still trains in the hard court his father and friends made 23 years ago (Ace Magazine, if you don't want to read in spanish).... Yes, that's artificially idealiazed portrait of David.....


7)Is it an artificially idealiazed portrait of David, saying what it was publicated in not only spanish, but the original was in enlgish about the sign (fight for little Lautaro) and how, he wanted to clarify to those people that he knew it was with the best will and good intention, but that it was hurting him?... How many players do you know that will react that way to the fans in the same situation?

8) Did you know that he and the argie team always after the DC matches plays in the central court infront of the same public with children with down syndrome? And it's not for the pictures, because they stop the celebration to do that, when obviously they want to sign, scream or whatever.. but they do it and spend a lot of time? Argie press in any match

So, besides being a talent that deserves to be 3 or at least top five (even when he infuriates fans because you can't understand him often why he does some things or some of his choices... and you're not alone in that, even if you support him, it's frustrating because you know the potential), etc he's like that as a person. Both things. He's not an angel.... I never said he was. But he's not only the surly, rude, temperamental guy the international press tends to show...

But of course, pointing that is artificially an idealiazed portrait of David.. pity, all of that it's corroborated by the press, at least argentine..... But of course, you probably don't know it.
Get better information before talking and dismiss people, that have way more information than you, obviously!
A FYI, the argentine press doesn't speak very good of him always. Probably we have more information or at least rumors that slips from David than you could ever dream about it. True or not, those rumors exist... So no, I didn't said it was Saint David.

Sorry, if I pointed facts or gestures that he has and I never saw reflected in the international press. Just for people outside argentina to know it. To show that not only he's an excellent player, with a lof of defects that goes against him. But with talent. And that he's not only or always the rude guy
First, I love you too, honey.
Second, do you really think you’re a better informed person simply because you live in Argentina? I found nothing in your posts that I didn’t know about David, really.
Third, could you please be more specific, when you refer to “other players” throughout your post, indirectly attacking them all the time?
I didn’t intend to hurt your feelings, Galathea, nothing against you personally! - but you’re pretty biased…trying to lower Tim Henman, only because of David’s recent remarks during their match last month... However - I’m saying this for you to know in case you only read the local press – Tim is a recognized example of a perfect gentleman, on and off the court. And he is extremely friendly with his fans, and close to his family, and spends a lot on charity also.
Finally, please don’t act as a David’s attorney in a case against me, as I am his fun and as proud of all of his good deeds as you are. Let’s support him together whenever we can - but when he does something bad, or plays like crap – let’s not look for false excuses as we want to see him a better person and a better player. We all love and support David, but let's keep the right to be able to critisize him when he deserves.
Kiank is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 442
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

First, I'm not hurt and I'm less than biase, because, if you read what I wrote, you'll see that I'm not acting like David's lawyer or saying that he's prefect.

Second. I said I have more information about David because I live in Argentina, simply, because our press talks about him way more than the international one. And let's not talk about being from Cordoba and living near Unquillo...And I do read international press, more I travel a lot. A lot of things you said you knew probably you read it from Argentine posters or some articule based in local information. Still, it's pretty weird the internation press talking about David. Specially in a good way, since his fights with english speaker player. (by the way do you know how, why and when the fight against Hewitt started?... Probably you do, since as you say, you know the same things that a person that lives in Argentina knows... weird.. the ATP and international press found about his newphew thanks to internet information posted in some forums they didn't read the news or were based in our "local" articules. If they didn't take that, it's strange they could be interested in another more trivial topic)

Third. Henman: I SAW him dismissing fans, specially after he lost the game. And about the fight against him. Knowing David's temper do you think that my first thought "was David was right"? !! or something more like "how someone, on court (because outside I saw him with a not nice attitude, as I said) could have a problem with Tim?"... When I read both players' declarations and Henman pretty much confirmed what David said, for the first time, David was right. NO in his words and califications, but in being pissed off? Yes, because what Henman did was almost mocking ("the ball? I think it was in but I won't let you have the first serve because you're 15-30... even when the ball was in as I said. In waht workd do you live?" those were the words of the gentleman. Even journalists that don't like David in Argentina had not other choice but give him the reason. Again, without any justification for his words after the game). And, even when he was discussing a clear ball that got him match point in favor or Wawrinka, he did it in a way that something like Salatino (I bet you know who he is), a fan of Henman's behaviour, said something like "Tim now you start with this behaviour? at this age?"

Fourth: Players that don't play the DC cup in first rounds? In Argentina, the classic example is Gaudio. For other nations: go and read what you it seems that you already did, and you'll see a good list. It's their right. But they dismiss represent their country... Graf played even the Federation Cup. Sabatini, didn't and have troubles to participate in the Olimpics because of that.
Not mentioning players that acts like Diva because the won some little tournament. I was confirming the "attitude" thing from the original post of this thread. (exact quote: Finally, I saw him at a tournament once and the guy is humble and friendly, in fact I saw lesser players there who had more attitude then he had)

Quote:
Finally, please don’t act as a David’s attorney in a case against me, as I am his fun and as proud of all of his good deeds as you are. Let’s support him together whenever we can - but when he does something bad, or plays like crap – let’s not look for false excuses as we want to see him a better person and a better player. We all love and support David, but let's keep the right to be able to critisize him when he deserves
Okay.. am I in somekind of alternative board??!! Because I said and repeated that a lot of things of him frustrates me because I can't understand him sometimes. You obviously didn't read any post from me about the indoor season :rolleyes. : But, I'd say, because even people in Argentina think it's over, that his injury became chronic and it's not in the past. Wich is worst and talks not in a good way of him: because he should pay more attention to trainning if he has that problem.... so what excuses?!
I won't answer more about this issue. But if you attack someone dismissing a post because you got it in the wrong way ( the others understood it clearly), calling it "artificially idealiazed portrait of David".. well you certain should expect an answer.
The End for this issue.

Last edited by Galathea; 11-21-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Galathea is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 218
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

No I must admit I don't know "how, why and when the fight against Hewitt started", and I don't care, to be honest with you. I don't like quarrels between players outside the tennis courts. I think it's a far-fetched yellow press story. From what I ever read from Hewitts' interviews, he is always much more respectful toward David than David is toward him. I am not at all a Hewitt's fan, just being objective.
About DC, it's really great from David to always be ready to fight for his country, but he's not the only one. Many other players from many other countries have the same attitude, including Hewitt, by the way. To me, it's normal thing, and nothing extraordinary here. The opposite would be shocking.
As for his chronic injury, I could tell you a lot as I am someone who is still playing competitive tennis while suffering from a chronic injury (right wrist), but it's not something I wanna talk about.
I am sorry this thread turned out this way. Joyce should have probably titled this thread something like: "What we love in David's game?"
I personally love his backhand (both cross-court and down the line), and his return of serves - pretty obvious.
Kiank is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

I like David mainly for his game. I think most of us can describe his strengths, but I'll do it anyway.

He has one of the best backhands. I love how he uses the whole court with his combinations of angles and down-the-line shots. I'm always curious to see how he matches up against different opponents as he often adapts his game in terms of placement to break down his opponents' weaknesses. The return of serve is excellent also, of course. I like how he has the ability to control and dominate the rallies in most matches which always gets me excited. He also has excellent passing shots. He can hit outright winners, but also keep the ball low setting up for the next shot when the winner is not an option. Recently (since this year), I've enjoyed the occasional serve-and-volley tactic as a change-up where he kicks the serve to the backhand and comes in.

I like to watch the way he conducts himself on court, not in admiration, but I find his reactions to be very realistic. He doesn't pump himself up excessively nor does he keep it all inside.

I feel like such a fanatic now...

While David is a great DC player, I think his DC abilities are a bit overrated. Perhaps, his dedication seems magnified compared to others due to how he approaches the normal tour events. I don't doubt his dedication to DC but he hasn't yet achieved as much in DC as Hewitt (before 2005) or Ljubicic. Then again, I think most fans here probably don't believe that either and I have been reading too many posts from the same posters in GM. But if David wins all 3 of his rubbers in DC, then he can belong in the same company.

I don't really feel like I know much about David off the court. I don't think those few isolated events that Galathea pointed out really make much of a difference to me. There have certainly been things that have bothered me, but those have already been mentioned.

I have to say the single most annoying thing would be his inability to close out matches, mainly since it's so frustrating to watch. It's amazing how many times he has failed to serve out the match especially in recent tournaments. I think it was in almost every single match where he had the opportunity to do so.

People often mention how it's disappointing that David hasn't won a GS yet. But what I find even more amazing is that he still hasn't even made a GS final since Wimbledon 2002 to put himself in the position to take a GS title.

Last edited by krystlel; 11-22-2006 at 03:55 AM.
krystlel is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Joyce_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rotterdam
Age: 33
Posts: 1,150
                     
Re: The "We love David" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post

People often mention how it's disappointing that David hasn't won a GS yet. But what I find even more amazing is that he still hasn't even made a GS final since Wimbledon 2002 to put himself in the position to take a GS title.
I agree with you on that, he's had some good chances to reach a final but blowed it every single time. The most dissapointing one was the match against Baghdatis, I still have no clue what happened there...I remember watching that one and being mindboggled...

For the record, I could change the name of the title but I just wanted to know why people liked/loved David. For some it's for his tennis only, others think the person behind the game is a nice guy too. I think everyone should decide for themselves which one applies to them and not judge others who have a other opinion. I really did not intend for this thread to become a fighting ground about why you like a player, in this case David. I really like the MTF forums and love posting here and debating with people who know about tennis but the ability in this forum to make a big thing out of everything never ceases to amaze me and I've only been here a week... So please people, the fact that we can see through all the rubbish people usually talk about David and just see a talented player shows that we're smarter then that, let's not turn this one into a thread I've seen way to many times in the last week.

Vamos David and Juan Carlos

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.
Joyce_23 is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
                     
Re: The "What we love about David" thread

Oh, I didn't even notice you were new. Welcome to the forum. Certainly you will get used to the nature of the way GM operates.

It has only been in recent times, I think since Madrid that there have been a lot of negative comments towards David. I'm pretty good at ignoring the comments, but what annoys me the most is that every topic about David seems to turn into insults/jokes about his weight, however irrelevant. Fortunately that has died down quite a bit. I really couldn't stand GM during Madrid.

Also, what's with the predictions of David losing because of his lack of fitness/tiredness? I think he has proved his endurance enough times recently to indicate that it will not be a noticeable factor in his matches.

Last edited by krystlel; 11-22-2006 at 02:01 PM.
krystlel is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Joyce_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rotterdam
Age: 33
Posts: 1,150
                     
Re: The "What we love about David" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
Oh, I didn't even notice you were new. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you and good to know I blended in perfectly... People not noticing I'm new is actually a compliment...

Quote:
Also, what's with the predictions of David losing because of his lack of fitness/tiredness? I think he has proved his endurance enough times recently to indicate that it will not be a noticeable factor in his matches.
I never got that either. The weird thing is that this is not just a fan opinion, I've heard commentators saying the same thing. I have never seen David out of breath after a long point nor did he ever give up a match because he lacked fitness. Agreed, he looks bigger then most tennisplayers but I've never seen him play less or lose a match because of that. His biggest problem is not his body, it's his mind. He needs to believe in his own abilities more and be willing to play more tournaments.

Vamos David and Juan Carlos

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.
Joyce_23 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome