US Open - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
jazz_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 33
Posts: 17,486
                     
US Open

Ok, I thought it might be better to start the thread a while before it starts, because he'll probably lose in the first or second round, so there won't be much posting going on
jazz_girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
gooner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 3,254
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
Ok, I thought it might be better to start the thread a while before it starts, because he'll probably lose in the first or second round, so there won't be much posting going on

The U.S Open is the last tourney where Nalbo can get some big points for a while.
Over the years he's always his best results at slams so there's some hope at least.
I really feel that Nalbo's career is at a crossroads. He needs to analyse what is missing and get a high quality coach that can improve him for the better. I still feel someone like Gilbert should be Nalbo's coach.
He should be solid Top 10 and go deep in the big tourneys like TMS's more regularly.
gooner88 is offline  
post #3 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
jazz_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 33
Posts: 17,486
                     
Re: US Open

I want him with a coach now, I don't care who he is. I would even be ok with Gilbert
Am I being too pessimistic?
Nalbandian cheering thread! (hurry to post before it becomes useless!)
jazz_girl is offline  
post #4 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered User
 
gooner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 3,254
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
I want him with a coach now, I don't care who he is. I would even be ok with Gilbert
Am I being too pessimistic?
Nalbandian cheering thread! (hurry to post before it becomes useless!)
Just a little.
But with the way Nalbo's been playing at the moment all us fans are pessimistic about his chances in New York.
gooner88 is offline  
post #5 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Miss Thang
 
sigmagirl91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Big Blue Nation
Age: 45
Posts: 36,083
                     
Re: US Open

I am fully expecting an outburst on par with the one from last year. He's due.

Talk to the hand because the ears don't hear you.
sigmagirl91 is offline  
post #6 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 218
                     
Re: US Open

David needs to call Gilbert right away. Gilbert will say "yes" with a lot of enthusiasm. Next move David should consider would be moving away from Argentina for a while to fully concentrate on tennis. If Gilbert is not an option for David, then he should consider some other foreign specialist.
Kiank is offline  
post #7 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered User
 
gooner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 3,254
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiank
David needs to call Gilbert right away. Gilbert will say "yes" with a lot of enthusiasm. Next move David should consider would be moving away from Argentina for a while to fully concentrate on tennis. If Gilbert is not an option for David, then he should consider some other foreign specialist.
He's already moved away from Argentina; he's away on tour for most of the year.
I agree with you about Gilbert though. Gilbert has always said after A-Rod sacked him that he wouldn't coach again unless the right challenge came along, and I think Nalbo is the 'right challenge' for him. Nalbo is solid Top 10 and has had a very good career up to now, but he needs to make the right move to go onto the next level.
Just look what he did with Andre and A-Rod!
gooner88 is offline  
post #8 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 218
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner88
He's already moved away from Argentina; he's away on tour for most of the year.
Unfortunately he's not - how many matches he played in the last 6 weeks, - enjoying the rest of time at home with his friends, asados and race cars in the middle of the hard court season - he needs to really sacrifice couple of years away from home to achieve some serious results.
Gilbert will not teach David how to serve well, but he's a strong mental coach and therefore would be a right choice for David. However, I doubt David will contact him. Something tells me he's not ready for radical changes yet, and he would rather choose a local coach. But I'd be happy to be wrong.
Kiank is offline  
post #9 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered User
 
justClaudia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: at the nearest fashion week.
Posts: 15,622
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
I want him with a coach now, I don't care who he is. I would even be ok with Gilbert
Am I being too pessimistic?
Nalbandian cheering thread! (hurry to post before it becomes useless!)

Jazz, I feel the same way

Brad Gilbert or not..I don't give a damn about it.
He needs someone,soon.

I would really love to hear Rosie's opinion about this.
I always love to know what she thinks.
justClaudia is offline  
post #10 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Registered User
 
gooner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 3,254
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiank
Unfortunately he's not - how many matches he played in the last 6 weeks, - enjoying the rest of time at home with his friends, asados and race cars in the middle of the hard court season - he needs to really sacrifice couple of years away from home to achieve some serious results.
Gilbert will not teach David how to serve well, but he's a strong mental coach and therefore would be a right choice for David. However, I doubt David will contact him. Something tells me he's not ready for radical changes yet, and he would rather choose a local coach. But I'd be happy to be wrong.
I agree with you on the coaching situation, but not about him migrating from his home to further his career. I think that's an over-reaction to Nalbo's current bad form.
Home is where he grew up, where his family is and where he feels most comfortable. Nearly all the top players live in their own countries, and the ones that don't live in Monte Carlo for Tax reasons.
Recently he hasn't been on tour much, but he's got a packed schedule from the U.S Open onwards. He's currently going through a bad patch of form, but form is temporary and class is permanent.
gooner88 is offline  
post #11 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Miss Thang
 
sigmagirl91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Big Blue Nation
Age: 45
Posts: 36,083
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiank
David needs to call Gilbert right away. Gilbert will say "yes" with a lot of enthusiasm. Next move David should consider would be moving away from Argentina for a while to fully concentrate on tennis. If Gilbert is not an option for David, then he should consider some other foreign specialist.
You know, it just may help.

Talk to the hand because the ears don't hear you.
sigmagirl91 is offline  
post #12 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
jazz_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 33
Posts: 17,486
                     
Re: US Open

Markus's back with Massu, so there's no way he will train David.
jazz_girl is offline  
post #13 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Registered User
 
frula08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 288
                     
Re: US Open

the days are passing, and hour after hour i am more convinced that gilbert is the best option.
but i think that is not an easy decision for him, and he need time to take it, not do like coria with markus, and then stop working with a coach after 2 matches.
frula08 is offline  
post #14 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 218
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner88
I agree with you on the coaching situation, but not about him migrating from his home to further his career. I think that's an over-reaction to Nalbo's current bad form.
Home is where he grew up, where his family is and where he feels most comfortable. Nearly all the top players live in their own countries, and the ones that don't live in Monte Carlo for Tax reasons.
Recently he hasn't been on tour much, but he's got a packed schedule from the U.S Open onwards. He's currently going through a bad patch of form, but form is temporary and class is permanent.
No, I'm not over-reacting to his current performance, I always thought settling for few years in the US, for example, would be a smart move from David. He is generally admired in his own town, everybody wants to be his friend and calls him a hero, and that's too much for a young man like David. He doesn't yet achieve what he could if he was more career-oriented.
Kiank is offline  
post #15 of 1340 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Miss Thang
 
sigmagirl91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Big Blue Nation
Age: 45
Posts: 36,083
                     
Re: US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiank
No, I'm not over-reacting to his current performance, I always thought settling for few years in the US, for example, would be a smart move from David. He is generally admired in his own town, everybody wants to be his friend and calls him a hero, and that's too much for a young man like David. He doesn't yet achieve what he could if he was more career-oriented.
If not the US, then somewhere else. You do what you have to do to further your career. The myriad distractions are way too much, and it doesn't help that David has people around him who say "yes" to him all the time. That certainly cannot help.

Talk to the hand because the ears don't hear you.
sigmagirl91 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome