Wild Cards - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
smucav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,335
                     
Wild Cards

Main Draw
1 EBDEN, Matthew (AUS)
2 EDMUND, Kyle (GBR)
3 JOHNSON, STEVE (USA)
4 MAHUT, Nicolas (FRA)
5 WARD, James (GBR)
6 not awarded
7 not awarded
8 not awarded

Qualifying
1 BAKER, Jamie GBR
2 BOGDANOVIC, Alex GBR
3 BURTON, Lewis (GBR)
4 CORRIE, Edward GBR
5 EVANS, Daniel GBR
6 GOODALL, Josh GBR
7 PELIWO, Filip CAN
8 WARD HIBBERT, Joshua GBR
9 RICE, DAVID GBR (Play-off champion)

Doubles
1 BAKER, Jamie (GBR) and EDMUND, Kyle (GBR)
2 HEWITT, Lleyton (AUS) and KNOWLES, Mark (BAH)
3 RICE, David (GBR) and THORNLEY, Sean (GBR)
4 not awarded
5 not awarded
6 not awarded
7 not awarded

Last edited by smucav; 06-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.
smucav is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21,068
                     
Re: Wild Cards

WC to Peliwo for winning the juniors last year?

they used to give a MD WC, but last year was a QWC, and after Kimmer didn't get anything for RG, got me a little worried. Hoping he gets at least a Q WC

3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
Denis

Welcome Your Newest Top 100 Member

Shapovalov

Proud Canadian
3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
156mphserve is offline  
post #3 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Age: 26
Posts: 13,800
                     
Re: Wild Cards

I like Filip but I dont think he's done a whole hell of a lot to justify the main draw wild card. I think now they are paying more attention to how the juniors transition to the pro tour and how they do in the year following to decide what to do with them. I think that is why less juniors are being given wild cards in to the main draw and in some cases being over looked all together.

Filip has only really had 2 good events this year. If he can continue his good form in the weeks going forward I could see him getting a qualifying wild card but I doubt he's in the running for a main draw position.

Kimmer not getting anything at all, not even something into qualifying does surprise me because he has not had a bad year.Maybe he turned it down
Gliese581 is offline  
 
post #4 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Age: 26
Posts: 13,800
                     
Re: Wild Cards

I would guess that James Ward and Daniel Evans for their heroics in the davis cup win over Russia will get wild cards in to the main draw. Oliver Golding would be my third guess
Gliese581 is offline  
post #5 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21,068
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Wimbledon was the first one to give out a WC to the junior winner I believe, and if I remember correct I don't think they've ever not given anything. At worst they've offered a Qualies WC.

I don't think Filip has had a terrible year. He hasn't had outstanding results but besides a couple losses early in the year he hasn't lost to anyone ranked 400 or worse. Futures can be tough sledding, and he's turned it on lately with a final last week and 1 win from another one this week.

His ranking dropped when the SF from Rimouski last year came off but that was pretty expected, that wasn't his level and he was very unlikely to repeat that.

I don't think he's regressed, he just hasn't improved by winning futures yet but according to his result and what he's been tweeting it seems like he's starting to come around.

a qualies WC would be better. Unless he gets a really good draw a MD WC would probably be a total waste other than a bit of experiance. I think he could get a win or 2 in qualies if he keeps improving the next couple weeks.

3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
Denis

Welcome Your Newest Top 100 Member

Shapovalov

Proud Canadian
3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
156mphserve is offline  
post #6 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Age: 26
Posts: 13,800
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Wimbledon was the first one to give out a WC to the junior winner I believe, and if I remember correct I don't think they've ever not given anything. At worst they've offered a Qualies WC.

I don't think Filip has had a terrible year. He hasn't had outstanding results but besides a couple losses early in the year he hasn't lost to anyone ranked 400 or worse. Futures can be tough sledding, and he's turned it on lately with a final last week and 1 win from another one this week.

His ranking dropped when the SF from Rimouski last year came off but that was pretty expected, that wasn't his level and he was very unlikely to repeat that.

I don't think he's regressed, he just hasn't improved by winning futures yet but according to his result and what he's been tweeting it seems like he's starting to come around.

a qualies WC would be better. Unless he gets a really good draw a MD WC would probably be a total waste other than a bit of experiance. I think he could get a win or 2 in qualies if he keeps improving the next couple weeks.
I agree, he has not had a horrible year but I think he just has not done as well as some people(myself included) thought he would be doing. I do also agree that a wild card into qualifying would be better for him. It would give him a chance to get himself worked in to the tournament. I think if he can keep up this kind of form with the right draw and a little luck his chances of qualifying would be quite good.
Gliese581 is offline  
post #7 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
MONSOON season.
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Age: 31
Posts: 78,572
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliese581 View Post
I like Filip but I dont think he's done a whole hell of a lot to justify the main draw wild card. I think now they are paying more attention to how the juniors transition to the pro tour and how they do in the year following to decide what to do with them. I think that is why less juniors are being given wild cards in to the main draw and in some cases being over looked all together.

Filip has only really had 2 good events this year. If he can continue his good form in the weeks going forward I could see him getting a qualifying wild card but I doubt he's in the running for a main draw position.

Kimmer not getting anything at all, not even something into qualifying does surprise me because he has not had a bad year.Maybe he turned it down
I agree with your analysis. I hope Filip will get a QWC

BEMELMANS | CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI
CIPOLLA| ROGER-VASSELIN | MCGEE

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #8 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
MONSOON season.
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Age: 31
Posts: 78,572
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Since Wimbledon uses a Top 250 criterion for awarding WCs, let's look at the current rankings (May 18):

210 James Ward
247 Brydan Klein
272 Alex Bogdanovic
289 Jamie Baker
296 Josh Goodall
327 Daniel Evans
330 Edward Corrie

So only Ward and Klein are within that criterion. Ward is a lock. I would think it despicable if Klein got a WC since he only just changed his nationality and is nothing like Konta in his British connections. His form has also been very poor.

I can't see them not awarding at least a one or two WCs to other players though. Bogdanovic and Goodall have used up their chances IMO, but Evans did stellar in Davis Cup; Baker is in terrible form but had a great grass season last year and therefore loads of points to defend (and Murray might put in a good word for him?); and Corrie has been tearing it up in Futures. I am confident Evans will get one and maybe the other two as well.

BEMELMANS | CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI
CIPOLLA| ROGER-VASSELIN | MCGEE

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #9 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21,068
                     
Re: Wild Cards

I tweeted Filip to ask him about it and he said he'll get a Q WC because he's not top 250. So it seems that the British have the same sort of rule for the junior winner as they do for their own.

3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
Denis

Welcome Your Newest Top 100 Member

Shapovalov

Proud Canadian
3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
156mphserve is offline  
post #10 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
MONSOON season.
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Age: 31
Posts: 78,572
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
I tweeted Filip to ask him about it and he said he'll get a Q WC because he's not top 250. So it seems that the British have the same sort of rule for the junior winner as they do for their own.
It's in his best interest, IMO. He could maybe win a round or two in qualies, but I think he would be annihilated in the main draw.

It's also in my best interest, because this means I get to see him play. Really looking forward to it

BEMELMANS | CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI
CIPOLLA| ROGER-VASSELIN | MCGEE

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #11 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21,068
                     
Re: Wild Cards

yeah he would be beaten pretty easily unless he drew someone like Alund or Volandri(even though his game could translate better than it has).

I saw him play against Dodig in Rogers Cup qualies and he was fairly competitive there ever though he went down in straights. He had a break in set 2 he just couldn't hold onto it.

If he plays well he definately could win a match or 2 which is the hope. Anything to get a little bit of experiance that could help him in futures, and challengers so he can get back to the grand slam qualies level as fast as possible.

3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
Denis

Welcome Your Newest Top 100 Member

Shapovalov

Proud Canadian
3-6 6-4 7-6(4)
156mphserve is offline  
post #12 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Registered User
 
Ace20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,968
                     
Re: Wild Cards

I would think that Kyle Edmund, Liam Broady, Joshua Ward-Hibbert & Cameron Norrie will get Q WC

Team USA


J. Isner | J. Sock | D.Y. | R. Harrison | C. Harrison | D. Kudla | S. Querrey | S. Johnson | R. Williams

J. Donaldson | N. Rubin | S. Kozlov | B. Kozlov | F. Tiafoe | M. Mmoh | T. Harry Fritz | A. Fenty
Ace20 is offline  
post #13 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
MONSOON season.
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Age: 31
Posts: 78,572
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace20 View Post
I would think that Kyle Edmund, Liam Broady, Joshua Ward-Hibbert & Cameron Norrie will get Q WC
Kyle will for sure; he put in a spirited performance last year. The others should too.

BEMELMANS | CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI
CIPOLLA| ROGER-VASSELIN | MCGEE

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #14 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,255
                     
Re: Wild Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooCachoo View Post
Kyle will for sure; he put in a spirited performance last year. The others should too.
Kyle might get a main draw wild card. He is at a similar ranking as Golding was 12 months ago when he got one.
Brit Tennis Fan is offline  
post #15 of 296 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SapELee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,652
                     
Re: Wild Cards

I would love to see Peter Ashley get one. He is one of their more promising juniors and represented GBR in many team competitions last year.

Rhyne Williams
Brian Baker Welcome Back
Jared Donaldson



http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/
SapELee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome