Mens Tennis Forums banner

Playing Higher level players

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Super Djoker 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been hitting with some old college players that are about 2-4 years removed. One played #1 at a top 50-60 school for D1 and another played 4-6 at a top 10 school for D1 when he was there.

One player has been out of college for about 4 years and the other has been out for either 2 or 3, but I cant remember. I just wanted to shine some light on what an experience it has been. These players are obviously not as good now as they were back in their college days, but you can definitely still tell what the keys to success are at that level of play.

1- Shot Selection- Their shot selection is by far the best I've ever seen. The way they set up points is amazing. Big top spin followed by a short slice or any brutal combo. The thing about their shot selection is that it always keeps you guessing. If I hit a big shot they don't try and out hit me(even though they could) they just send it back very deep.

2- Depth- This is pretty self-explanatory. The difference in depth is a huge deal. About 70% of their balls are landing within 3-4 feet inside the baseline. That doesn't seem too deep, but wow it is! Especially with their pace. Not only the depth on their shots, but it also forces me to hit deeper too because if I leave a ball hanging just a little that point is long gone.

3- Slice- My slice isn't all that amazing, but even when I do hit it well I'm still at a major disadvantage. They eat slices up all day if they are not skidding off the baseline practically. If I can hit a topspin/flat backhand I'm choosing that route whereas if I'm playing a lower level people it's nice to throw in that change up.

4- Attitude- One of the players asked me if I'm loud usual and I answered "Well I can get loud, but I'm trying to break that habit." Then he went on to explain how much of a waste it is. There's the obvious letting your opponent know that you're frustrated, but most of all it lowers your energy when you don't need to. Might as well use that energy to hit the next ball and to think what you need to do better.

Let me know any things you have guys have noticed with playing players that are or have been above your level and why you think they are so successful!

here are my strokes-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrhYnuZFn3M&feature=plcp

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
It all depends on your play style and strategies really. I mean sure shot selection and stuff is great, but really what is your game plan? I mean before you go to shot selection and types of shots to hit, you have to go back to what is your play style and what is your game plan for matches. Yes, you bring up all valid points, but compare Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray on those topics and you'll notice that it varies considerably. Does Nadal rely on depth and slices? No not really. Are Murray and Djokovic quiet on court especially during a negative situation? Not at all, they are extremely vocal in positive and negative situations. Federer and Murray have great shot selection, but what about Djokovic and Nadal who much of the time attempt to wear you down by attacking your weakness? Of course we aren't pros, so yes, like I said those points you make are valid, but really you have to take it on an individual basis.

As far as the video is concerned, your forehand seems like all arm. There is very minimal body torque and your left arm just sits there providing no rotation into the shot. You could put a lot more pop into your shot if you practice on how your left arm works into the shot and introduce more core strength for your forehand. I mean you certainly do whip the ball and provide a good "wind shield wiper" motion, but as is it is efficient and honestly I could see such a stroke causing injury after a while. With better core rotation from your body and left arm, you wouldn't have to swing as fast on every shot.

Well I kept watching the video, and you do have some core rotation, more so than the beginning of the video, but my comments still stand, I think you could improve on it greatly especially with the use of your left arm. Your backhand on the other hand does a whole lot better job with this. In fact, your backhand is a very nice stroke. Looks very effortless and seems to generate a lot of pace. Looks to be a much stronger and reliable shot than your forehand.

Backhand volley looks better than forehand volley as well. Your wrist on the backhand volley seems to be much firmer and you keep your wrist lower than the racket which is textbook. Forehand you seem to drop the racket head a bit through the shot.

Keep it up.

#4 ·
Wow not bad man. I'm around 3.5, you seem to be 4.5?

Yeah all the points you brought up are important. But I think there is the mental aspects as well. I can play up to some ridiculously high level opponents. Don't see what is stopping you. You have a monster forehand and a solid backhand.

Just keep practicing man.

#5 ·
I have some competitions coming up soon . I am playing the number 1 seed in a Club Championship at a club I am very new too . I basically have not got a prayer ! I have only been playing 2 and a half years roughly . I have been told the guy I am playing is very good .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.