Donald Young - Page 60 - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #886 of 1051 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: Donald Young

I hope he gets that good start American tennis really needs a lift from someone!

“I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.”
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #887 of 1051 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered User
 
trojanstallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 276
                     
Re: Donald Young

And now, after his amazing Asian Fall swing, he has gave up his coaching with the USTA, and went back to being coached by his Mom.

Horrible horrible move if you ask me!! Lets count the time until he asks for help from the USTA again!?? ugghhh.....
trojanstallion is offline  
post #888 of 1051 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 186
                     
Re: Donald Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanstallion View Post
And now, after his amazing Asian Fall swing, he has gave up his coaching with the USTA, and went back to being coached by his Mom.

Horrible horrible move if you ask me!! Lets count the time until he asks for help from the USTA again!?? ugghhh.....
I definitely agree with you here that it's a bad move developmentally speaking. But, the more I thought about it, the more I think it has less to do with tennis, and maybe more to do with finances.

As of the end of this yr, he still didn't have a racket sponsor, and he's no longer under contract with Nike, so that's what I think was the reason for the split. A full time coach is gonna be separate room & board on the road, plus travel expenses, plus probably a base salary & a % of winnings, along with maybe bonuses for certain milestones reached.
Rob_C is offline  
post #889 of 1051 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Registered User
 
coasterman9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 26
Posts: 1,229
                     
Re: Donald Young

I opened a thread to request a sub-forum for him. I need all his supporters to click yes so it happens. Here's a link straight to the page.


Tennis Tipping
Singles: 159(124)
2011:
W: Sarasota SF: Marrakech QF: Winnetka Guadalajara Alessandria Dallas
Doubles: 135(112)
2011:
W: Alessandria Cremona Sarasota Sacramento F: Barletta SF: Zagreb Marrakech Sarajevo Tiburon QF: San Jose CH
coasterman9 is offline  
post #890 of 1051 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: Donald Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterman9 View Post
I opened a thread to request a sub-forum for him. I need all his supporters to click yes so it happens. Here's a link straight to the page.
Good idea putting that link in here! I have voted Yes already. And I hated to hear he was going back to his mother for a Coach, however, I was even sorrier to hear that he doesn't have the necessary sponsors I hope he doesn't end up in a revolving door where his tennis slips back making it even harder for him to get the needed sponsors so he can again hire a coach! Poor Donald he could really end up in a lose-lose situation

“I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.”
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
post #891 of 1051 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 186
                     
Re: Donald Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_C View Post
I definitely agree with you here that it's a bad move developmentally speaking. But, the more I thought about it, the more I think it has less to do with tennis, and maybe more to do with finances.

As of the end of this yr, he still didn't have a racket sponsor, and he's no longer under contract with Nike, so that's what I think was the reason for the split. A full time coach is gonna be separate room & board on the road, plus travel expenses, plus probably a base salary & a % of winnings, along with maybe bonuses for certain milestones reached.
Just read that the reason DY went back to being coached by his Mom is b/c the USTA asked him to come down to the Boca or Carson training ctrs w/o his mom, & he refused, once again.

Really stubborn. I think it's a bad move on his parents part also. They should be encouraging him to be independent. If things dont work out he can always go back to his Mom as coach. A couple of weeks in the off season w/o his Mom isnt gonna kill him.
Rob_C is offline  
post #892 of 1051 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 35,462
                     
Re: Donald Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_C View Post
Just read that the reason DY went back to being coached by his Mom is b/c the USTA asked him to come down to the Boca or Carson training ctrs w/o his mom, & he refused, once again.

Really stubborn. I think it's a bad move on his parents part also. They should be encouraging him to be independent. If things dont work out he can always go back to his Mom as coach. A couple of weeks in the off season w/o his Mom isnt gonna kill him.
Gee really stubborn and I hate to say it, but all of this makes him sound like a real mama's boy

“I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.”
― Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)
Mae is offline  
post #893 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered User
 
coasterman9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 26
Posts: 1,229
                     
Re: Donald Young

Saw an article with him using a dunlop biomemetic racquet. Did he switch racquets from his exo3?


Tennis Tipping
Singles: 159(124)
2011:
W: Sarasota SF: Marrakech QF: Winnetka Guadalajara Alessandria Dallas
Doubles: 135(112)
2011:
W: Alessandria Cremona Sarasota Sacramento F: Barletta SF: Zagreb Marrakech Sarajevo Tiburon QF: San Jose CH
coasterman9 is offline  
post #894 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Registered User
 
Naudio Spanlatine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Posts: 23,908
                     
Re: Donald Young

Donald young i hope you do amazing once more in 2012
Naudio Spanlatine is offline  
post #895 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Registered User
 
coasterman9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 26
Posts: 1,229
                     
Re: Donald Young

DY plays Falla in round 1 in Auckland.


Tennis Tipping
Singles: 159(124)
2011:
W: Sarasota SF: Marrakech QF: Winnetka Guadalajara Alessandria Dallas
Doubles: 135(112)
2011:
W: Alessandria Cremona Sarasota Sacramento F: Barletta SF: Zagreb Marrakech Sarajevo Tiburon QF: San Jose CH
coasterman9 is offline  
post #896 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 186
                     
Re: Donald Young

DY went down in 3 sets to Falla, bad loss. His 2nd rd opponent would have been a clay courter, Montanes or Starace.
Rob_C is offline  
post #897 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Registered User
 
Naudio Spanlatine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Posts: 23,908
                     
Naudio Spanlatine is offline  
post #898 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 264
                     
Re: Donald Young

Yes, a disappointing start to the season. This worries me a bit. I wonder how he trained during the off season.
bearitone315 is offline  
post #899 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 264
                     
Re: Donald Young

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...g-and-brackets

Above link includes a prediction that DY will beat Ljubicic in the 2nd round. I hope so.
bearitone315 is offline  
post #900 of 1051 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 186
                     
Re: Donald Young

DY pulled out his 1st rd match in 5 sets, after winning the 1st two sets comfortably. I was a little worried he would blow the 2 set lead but he won the 5th set 6-2.
Rob_C is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome