Alexandr Dolgopolov: I didn’t use good chances at the tie-break
The last Ukrainian has finished his performance at the Kremlin Cup 2010 – Alexandr Dolgopolov lost to Marcos Baghdatis in QFs. Alexandr has told about details of the match to Ukrainian Tennis Portal.
- Your game against Baghdatis looked okay. There was only one bad period in the first set. What went well and what was wrong?
- Actually, the day was awful for me. A day before I played in one way, and today I didn’t adapt my game to the opponent, I had to play more flat and faster, I made too many unforced errors. My serve didn’t help me also, while Marcos served very well, always put the ball into the court and I couldn’t get used to the length of his shots. That’s why the final result wasn’t good for me today.
- In the second set you didn’t play worse. Did you manage to get used to his game?
- I think no. I just served well in several games, he made some errors. In the first set he made almost no errors, while I made a lot. Yes, I played a bit better in the second set, but didn’t use good chances at the tie-break, when Baghdatis made a double fault. Generally, there were lots of problems, I wasn’t lucky and didn’t do enough to win.
- How did you feel physically today?
- I felt myself perfectly, nothing was wrong. But in tournaments it happens to me, when I win good matches and play well, and after two or three matches I have dips in the game. That’s why we’ll continue working on it with my coach.
- Comparing to the match in Beijing, did Baghdatis play better here? What was the difference?
- First of all, he served better. It is more comfortable for him to play here, because the surface is slower. Moreover, balls there were heavier and he lost in speed, I served and returned better. In Moscow he played more consistently, my shots weren’t good enough to make him mistaking. He ran for all balls. So, he showed a very good performance.
- Thanks, good luck in St. Petersburg!