Re: Greg Rusedski
Injured Rusedski volleys abuse at officials (Times Online)
By Katie Scott
GREG RUSEDSKI last night channelled his anger at having been forced to withdraw from the Stella Artois Championships in the direction of tournament officials. The British No 1 retired with a hip strain while trailing 3-2 in the third set of his first-round encounter with Anthony Dupuis, the French qualifier, and blamed organisers, who had failed to grant him a Tuesday start.
Practising with Thomas Johansson, of Sweden, last week, Rusedski pulled a muscle in his hip while “doing the splits” at the back of the court and had asked for permission to begin his challenge at Queen’s Club on the second day of the tournament to allow the injury time to heal. Instead, he was made to play yesterday.
“My coach told them (the organisers) that I might have to pull out if my match was today. They just ignored it. You would think that they would want to help British players, not hinder them,” Rusedski said. “I am used to being screwed on schedules. Five times this year I have asked for a Tuesday or Wednesday start and it has been Monday every time, but you expect something better being in Britain.”
Rusedski still hopes to play in Nottingham next week after undergoing an MRI scan that will confirm the extent of the injury.
Ian Wight, the tournament director, stood by his decision. “It’s always a difficult decision. I had received a number of requests for Tuesday starts and, in my view, we felt we made the right decision bearing in mind the overall draw,” he said.
Andy Murray will face Janko Tipsarevic, of Serbia and Montenegro, in the second match on Centre Court today. Martin Lee, the other Briton in action yesterday, lost 6-3, 6-2 to Fernando Vicenté, of Spain.