Mens Tennis Forums banner

THE Country Celebration Thread

76K views 887 replies 44 participants last post by  HoorayBeer 
#1 · (Edited)
Well a good friend of mine (Orange Wombat) gave me this idea (he would've posted this, but he had to leave). This will be moved to non-tennis, but it belongs in GM so that more people will see it. Today is national Indonesia day, and as a sign of respect me and Orange Wombat have switched our flags to Indonesia. When people think of the world, they rarely think of Indonesia and as a result Indonesia doesn't get the respect it deserves. So just take this day to show a sign of respect and switch your flag to Indonesia.

No, this is not a 'trolling attempt', but rather showing respect. Have fun all :)

2013 Flag Season
January- Sudan
February- Saint Lucia
March- Bosnia and Herzegovina
April- Syria
May- Israel
June- Democratic Republic of the Congo
July- São Tomé and Príncipe
August- Burkina Faso
September- Saint Kitts and Nevis
October- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
November- Yemen
December- Iceland

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Indonesia Day

I wish countries were more bold with their flags. This one, as well as many others are boring. Having a naked girl drinking beer as your flag would instantly triple the number of immigrants to that country, regardless of its economic state :yeah:

#3 ·

I wish countries were more bold with their flags. This one, as well as many others are boring. Having a naked girl drinking beer as your flag would instantly triple the number of immigrants to that country, regardless of its economic state :yeah:
This isn't about the flag, but rather the country itself. Show some respect maan.

#7 ·

I do have to ask. Why Indonesia? Or rather, why just Indonesia? There's plenty of countries around the world. Is it because of sambal or nasi timbel? And isn't Indonesia Day on August 17th?:D
It's on August 17th yes, but I didn't want to wait a whole year for this. So why not today? :shrug:

#13 ·

Well, the war for independence in Indonesia did start today, but if we are to celebrate Indonesia day today, than we must celebrate Angola Day tomorrow. It would be only fair...:D

And we didn't celebrate Cambodia Day yesterday... for shame...
Exactly! Sure thing, Angola tomorrow.

We can make that one off when there's a day where there are no countries to celebrate :shrug:

Let's make this the country celebration thread! You in maan? :wavey:

#15 ·

Here is more about what is commemorated in Indonesia on November 10:

10 November: At dawn, following Mallaby's death the previous month, British troops begin a punitive sweep through Surabaya under the cover of naval and air bombardment, but meet fanatical resistance. The city is conquered in three days, but fighting continues for three weeks. At least 6,000 Indonesians die and thousands flee. 10 November is now commemorated in Indonesia as Heroes’ Day.

#17 ·

I think a daily country thing would be a bit too much. Let's go for a monthly thing. So I'm using each country's independence days, and using a randomizer to do the schedule.

2013 Flag Season
January- Sudan
February- Saint Lucia
March- Bosnia and Herzegovina
April- Syria
May- Israel
June- Democratic Republic of the Congo
July- São Tomé and Príncipe
August- Burkina Faso
September- Saint Kitts and Nevis
October- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
November- Yemen
December- Iceland

I hope more people join up, and enjoy this idea :)

#21 ·
#23 ·

Good work :yeah:

Once every month sounds doable :cool:

#24 ·
#25 ·

November 11:

Angola's National Day: (1975)
After many years of conflict that lead to the weakening of all the insurgent parties, Angola gained its independence on November 11th 1975, after the 1974 coup d'état in Lisbon, Portugal, which overthrew the Portuguese regime headed by Marcelo Caetano.

Poland's Second National Day: (1918)
One of the two National Days Poland has, the Independence Day represents the day when Poland regained its independence as the Second Polish Republic in 1918. The other National Day of the year is celebrated on May 3rd.

And Freaky should rename this thread to The Country Celebration Thread like he said.:D

#26 ·

November 11:

Angola's National Day:
After many years of conflict that lead to the weakening of all the insurgent parties, Angola gained its independence on November 11th 1975, after the 1974 coup d'état in Lisbon, Portugal, which overthrew the Portuguese regime headed by Marcelo Caetano.

Poland's Second National Day:
One of the two National Days Poland has, the Independence Day represents the day when Poland regained its independence as the Second Polish Republic in 1918. The other National Day of the year is celebrated on May 3rd.

And Freaky should rename this thread to The Country Celebration Thread like he said.:D
You mean THE Country Celebration Thread? :p Will do ;)

#28 ·
So will we switch flags midway through THE day?

#47 ·
What happened to your country flag? Were you exiled?

#44 ·
:cool: Is that their only player?

#48 ·
Poland! :rocker2:

#50 ·
It just does maan.

#60 ·
Here we are on Nov 15 for the contested National Day celebrations. Today we have 2 very controversial celebrations of states not unanimously recognized by the entire planet:

Palestine: (1988)

The Palestinian Declaration of Independence was approved by the Palestinian National Council (PNC) in Algiers on 15 November 1988, by a vote of 253 in favour, 46 against and 10 abstentions. It was read by Yasser Arafat at the closing session of the 19th PNC to a standing ovation. Upon completing the reading of the declaration, Arafat, as Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization assumed the title of "President of Palestine"

Northern Cyprus: (1983)

In 1975 the Turkish Federated State of Cyprus (Kıbrıs Türk Federe Devleti) was declared as a first step towards a future federated Cypriot state, but was rejected by the Republic of Cyprus, the UN, and the international community. After eight years of failed negotiations with the leadership of the Greek Cypriot community, the north declared its independence on 15 November 1983 under the name of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. This unilateral declaration of independence was rejected by the UN and the Republic of Cyprus.

#61 ·
Vamos Slasher! :rocker2:

Cool info, and I'll do Palestine tomorrow ;)

#63 ·
After Palestine, what's next up Slash?

#64 ·
The Finnish independence day is in the 6th of December. Will you have the Finnish flag then?

#65 ·
Of course. Unless you don't want me to (considering you nominated me for ACC and all...)

#68 ·
P.S. This Northern Cyprus flag is swank as fuck. I love the design :hearts:

#72 ·
I agree :eek:

Thanks for THE amazing work! :bowdown:

#71 ·
Because I'm probably not going be here on Sunday, I will start celebrations for the upcoming National Days earlier. Here goes:

November 18:

Latvia: (1918)

World War I devastated the territory of what would become the state of Latvia, along with other western parts of the Russian Empire. Demands for self-determination were at first confined to autonomy, but the Russian 1917 Revolution, treaty with Germany at Brest-Litovsk, and allied armistice with Germany on November 11, 1918, created a power vacuum. The People's Council of Latvia proclaimed the independence of the new country in Riga on November 18, 1918, with Kārlis Ulmanis becoming the head of the provisional government.

Oman: (1940)

In Oman, the National Day is dynamic. The current celebrations are for the birthday of Sultan Qaboos bin Sa'id al Sa'id.
Sultan Qaboos bin Sa'id was born in Salalah in Dhofar on 18 November 1940. He is the only son of Sultan Sa'id bin Taimur and princess Mazoon al-Mashani. He received his primary and secondary education at Salalah and Pune, India and was sent to a private educational establishment in England at age sixteen. At 20 he entered the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. After graduating from Sandhurst, he joined the British Army and was posted to the 1st Battalion The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), serving in Germany for one year. He also held a staff appointment with the British Army.

After his military service, Sultan Qaboos studied local government subjects in England and, after a world tour, returned home to Salalah where he studied Islam and the history of his country.

#74 ·
Correct! I'll switch ASAP ;)

#75 ·
November 19:

Monaco: (2005)

Following a period of official mourning, Prince Albert II formally assumed the princely crown on 12 July 2005, in a celebration that began with a solemn Mass at Saint Nicholas Cathedral, where his father had been buried three months earlier. His accession to the Monegasque throne was a two-step event, with a further ceremony, drawing heads of state for an elaborate Levée, held on 19 November 2005, at the historic Prince's Palace in Monaco-Ville.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.