Re: Wild Cards
Going on last year's logic....
* one Pommy player got in (Baker). This year, we have 3 (Cox, Evans, Ward).
* one player who was once good got in (Kiefer). Clement sort of covers this, although he never did a lot in his career outside of the Aussie Open 2001.
* one young gun who was injured got in (Nishikori). No young guns this year have got WC's yet, though I feel Tomic, Harrison and Kunzetsov have good cases for a WC.
* one player who had a good run at RG got in (Gabashivili). This year, Falla made the 4th round after qualifying (like Gaba), and obviously got the WC. Can sorta see Kubot getting one too.
* the Boys champion of the year before (Kunzetsov). Dunno whether Fucsovics deserves one tbh due to how low his ranking is, but there's a significant argument for him getting one.
Might there be anything else? The year before last they went 4 Pommy players (Ward, Evans, Boggers, Goodall), one player with significant grass court pedigree (Mahut), one former star (Ferrero), and the Boys champion of 2008 (Dimitrov). Who has significant grass court pedigree who isn't in the top 100 though?
2008 they went with a grass Challenger winner (Dancevic), a good run at RG (Chardy), a former 'star' (Malisse), 2 Poms (Baker, Boggers), 1 random choice (Kunistyn) and the next 2 alternates (Ascione, Spadea). Last year's Junior winner, Young, was already in the MD iirc.
2007 they went with 5 Poms (Baker, Goodall, Boggers, Bloomfield, Marray), 2006's Junior winner (de Bakker), the winner of a grass Challenger winner and a good run at Queens (Tsonga), and someone else who made a good run at Queens (Cilic).
Last edited by Chase Visa; 06-11-2011 at 12:30 AM.