Mens Tennis Forums banner

Lance Armstrong set for tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey

14K views 196 replies 48 participants last post by  superslam77 
#1 · (Edited)
And so it happens. Hold on to your seats.

Armstrong set for tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey

Air date January 17

Lance Armstrong will give his first interview since being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles later this month when he appears on the 'Oprah's Next Chapter' program on her eponymous US cable television network.

The interview, which will go to air on January 17 will also be available simultaneously through the network's website.

Armstrong was the focus of the United States Anti-Doping Agency's investigation which labelled the US Postal team's operation as "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen" on October 10, 2012. USADA stripped Armstrong of all results from August 1, 1998 when he declined to contest charges of doping in late August and handed the Texan a lifetime ban all of which was later ratified by cycling's governing body, the UCI.

The 41-year-old will give the interview from his home in Texas.

A media release on Oprah.com said that "Armstrong will address the alleged doping scandal, years of accusations of cheating, and charges of lying about the use of performance-enhancing drugs throughout his storied cycling career."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-set-for-tell-all-interview-with-oprah-winfrey

Now Cyclingnews and others are calling this a tell-all interview, but I´d personally be a little more cautious. A full confession would get Armstrong into a bigger clusterfuck than he´s already in. That being said, not confessing would result in the weirdest interview ever. "That doping thing Oprah, it was all a witch-hunt. I'm really here to raise awareness for the fight against cancer."

#47 ·
Well Oprah has said her ultimate dream is to interview OJ Simpson and have him confess to those murders (which will never happen), so getting a doping confession from Lance should be a nice consolation prize for her big ego. :lol:

I hope no one forgives Lance. He's not someone who screwed up and was honest about it right away when caught/suspected. He lied for more than a decade, sued people who tried to expose his sham, and dragged people who were being honest about him through the dirt. He had lies for his lies - a loser. :eek:

#48 · (Edited)
Re: Lance Armstrong admits to Doping

the balls and abnormal chuzpe this guy has is just out of this world. couple of weeks ago he comes up with this pic on twitter, just when they officially stripped him of his tdf trophies.

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/267364416864002048

what a giant "fuck you". for that pic alone i want him to rot in hell, no matter how teary-eyed he may come clean. in case he goes off on mcquaid and his cronies, all these guys need to say is "why would anyone believe this guy?" and off they go.

*edit: hopefully he gets sued to death now.

#49 ·

the balls and abnormal chuzpe this guy has is just out of this world. couple of weeks ago he comes up with this pic on twitter, just when they officially stripped him of his tdf trophies.

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/267364416864002048

what a giant "fuck you". for that pic alone i want him to rot in hell, no matter how teary-eyed he may come clean. in case he goes off on mcquaid and his cronies, all these guys need to say is "why would anyone believe this guy?" and off they go.

*edit: hopefully he gets sued to death now.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

#51 ·
#54 ·
#70 ·

Does Oprah pay for interviews?
she gives away cars to her audience, so who knows

#58 ·
In all fairness, I still fail to understand why he decided to confess.

#63 ·

Does he have to now pay back all the legal fees and money from the past libel cases?
I guess they need to see what he actually says first in the interview.. then they will take action based on his admission.

One thing is for sure, he's facing some legal issues either way. Which is why I hope he doesn't get pardoned for co operating with the authorities.

#86 ·

Good to hear that LA has been stripped of his olympic medal. Hopefully, lots of suits will follow.

[youtube]thyFmxusB9E[youtube]

"...again, not true..." :lol:

I watched that interview on YouTube 2 days ago. LA lies so effortlessly, he's got to be a pathological liar.

#65 ·
#69 ·

....aaaaaaaaand in the blink of an eye this story is totally ignored by the American media, allowing it to quietly fade away.

Lance is popping some champagne in tribute and thanks, Manti.
bingo

#68 ·

Armstrong was always a total fraud and piece of shit. I don't care so much about the cheating but suing people who were speaking the truth and using his fraudulent story to promote himself as the ultimate cancer survivor are what make this prick so repulsive.

That said I would've had more respect for him had he never confessed rather than give what I suspect to be a garbage interview that tries to lessen what he did and make him look like a victim.

#74 ·
#80 ·

Olano gets a medal as a reward for designing Vuelta routes with a gazillion of mountain-top finishes.

#81 ·

Who's in?

Reactions: viruzzz
#83 ·

Sad to see all of this happen to cycling. It was sad to see it happen to baseball, and above all it'll be sad to see it happen to tennis soon :sad:

#84 ·

I agree with TSD, cycling sucks anyways, but this a-hole should just be prosecuted to the full extend of the law. He's just a giant douche

#88 ·

Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).

#97 ·

Armstrong says in-competition testing will never catch anyone, only out-of-competition testing and the blood passport can.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
You are going straight into my signature.

EDIT: But it's not working... does anybody have an idea why my signature won't show?

#89 ·

In Summary

Admits to doping in all seven Tour de France wins
Took EPO, had blood transfusions and other banned substances
Said doping in team was "professional and smart"
Denies taking banned drugs since comeback in 2005
Denies forcing team-mates to dope or threaten to kick them off team
Did not consider himself a "cheat"
Says he saw doping as "a level playing field"
Says donated $100,000 to UCI because "they asked me to"
Says would attend a truth and reconciliation commission
Shows no emotion during interview

#90 ·

After having listened to Armstrong one must ask questions about american doping culture. He has no remorse except that he got caught.

Wonder how many of these "super athletes" that simply never got caught. Carl Lewis is one I think doped up for much of his career but managed to get away. If your team and your resources are awesome you can hide doping.

The poor mugs without resources or million dollar medical teams are the ones that will get caught if they dope up using some cheap stuff and without proper knowledge.

#91 ·

After having listened to Armstrong one must ask questions about american doping culture. He has no remorse except that he got caught.

Wonder how many of these "super athletes" that simply never got caught. Carl Lewis is one I think doped up for much of his career but managed to get away. If your team and your resources are awesome you can hide doping.

The poor mugs without resources or million dollar medical teams are the ones that will get caught if they dope up using some cheap stuff and without proper knowledge.
Carl Lewis tested positive before the 1988 Olympics but the test was hushed down by the US, this is common knowledge. He says everyone in the US was doing it and getting away with it.
http://trackandfield.about.com/od/longjump/a/controverslewis.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.