Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you like Murray-Djokovic matches

Endless Djokovic/Murray debates. Do you like their matches?

85K views 1K replies 383 participants last post by  artilerist13 
#1 ·
Both were born in 1987

Djokovic has 1 GS title and 4 MS titles
Murray has 0 GS title and 2 MS titles

#1,121 ·
Re: Murray vs Djokovic: Who will have the best carrer?

Murray to win by at least 4 slams

Tennis career: Muzza hands down.
Circus career: Djoker & His Monster Family Ensemble.

Seriously, Djoker isn't a factor anymore, nobody remembers him.

Murray has a talent. Djokovic had a luck at the AO to play MonoFed, not the usual Fed.
Murray will be a multiple GS winner. Djokovic will be barely remembered as a One Slam Wonder, coz he has no game to beat Fed or Murray on HC, he has no game for grass & clay to beat Federer or Nadal. On the other hand Murray has the game to beat Fed in a couple of years when the Legend becomes older. Also his all-around smart tennis with the huge serv is quite suitable for the green clay court of Wimbledon.

So, in a couple of years anyone may bump this thread to laugh about the fact this question even been raised.

IMO Djok is the more technically sound, but Murray is mentally stronger & faster. I think when it's all said and done, Murray will be on top.
I just have a hunch that Novak has slightly better career.Of couse he is one slam wonder with enormous luck and Murray is way stronger mentally.;)

#13 ·

Djokovic

#14 ·

I've got to go for Djokovic.

Andy has IMO a greater breadth of skill, but in the long run with a better serve and better forehand without a major hole in your game, you'll win more big prizes, or should do.

There is a distinct possibility Djok has already decided this discussion by winning a GS.

I still far prefer Murray's weird way of playing though.

On a tangent Djokovic's record against players ranked top 10 but not 1 or 2 is strangely poor, any explanations?

#15 ·

On a tangent Djokovic's record against players ranked top 10 but not 1 or 2 is strangely poor, any explanations?

For starters, who's h2h against top 2 is better?
keep in mind the number of encounters
(i'm guessing maybe nalby, but i'm not too good with these statistics)

#19 ·

I hope Murray but Nole will have a better career, i believe both will have excellent careers however Djokovic is more consistant in the big events and despite how long it has been without him winning a major title or any title for that matter i still expect him to have a great 2009, however Murray has improved lots over the last 4 months and hopefully he can win a slam next year or if not then the year after. Nole will have a better career in my opinion purely because i expect Murray to have more dips throughout a year especially in the clay season, although it will be interesting to see how he fares.

#32 ·
#26 ·

1 GS to 0
4 MS to 2
Same Age.

By any means, the universe and mathematics will tell you who.
sounds like the Gasquet fans when they were laughing in 2007

#28 ·

Jamie Murray and Marco Djokovic? They are both mugs.

#29 ·

Murray has a talent. Djokovic had a luck at the AO to play MonoFed, not the usual Fed.
Murray will be a multiple GS winner. Djokovic will be barely remembered as a One Slam Wonder, coz he has no game to beat Fed or Murray on HC, he has no game for grass & clay to beat Federer or Nadal. On the other hand Murray has the game to beat Fed in a couple of years when the Legend becomes older. Also his all-around smart tennis with the huge serv is quite suitable for the green clay court of Wimbledon.

So, in a couple of years anyone may bump this thread to laugh about the fact this question even been raised.

#30 ·

u make it sound like he's the best thing after oscar hernandez.

#591 ·

IMO Djok is the more technically sound, but Murray is mentally stronger & faster. I think when it's all said and done, Murray will be on top.
one of all time great posts

#35 ·

Novak is really sucking right now (well, not "sucking" but isn't living up to certain expectations) and Andy is really starting to get hot, but I think that Novak will ultimately have the better career.

#36 ·

The answer to the question is: who gives a shit?

#37 ·

I'd also point out that Federer had achieved less than Murray has when he was the age Murray is now. 1 Masters, highest ranking of 6 and best GS result of QF.

People mature at different rates. Lendl didn't win a GS untill 24.

#39 · (Edited)

murray is a better player than djokovic now, although if ao or toronto djokovic turned up he's a very fine player as well- great weapons, serve and he can play on clay. murray will never be good on clay. djokovic can play on clay. if nadal is injured, djokovic or federer are in the running for the french open, but not murray.

1. murray has a bigger, harder first serve when on and serving at 60-65% (see vs nadal us open, v del potro us open, v federer in madrid , v federer in Dubai, entire St. Pete tournament)

2. Murray is the 2nd best current volleyer on tour after Federer, has great hands, feel and is a natural volleyer.

3. Murray has a great backhand slice. IT is the 2nd best on tour(on hard surfaces), but nadal's slice backhand on clay is the the most suited. Murray's backhand is probably the best on non clay surfaces(Cross court acceleration is amazing, down the line is also amazing control and depth).

4. Murray is a sound tennis tactician and is one of the best on non clay surfaces after Federer(Nalbandian also really good tactician, but is unfit and has a weak serve,. and results are inconsistent on outdoor hard). He can play slice defence, he can do deep slice approach shots, or he can just go for classic karlovic like big serving and big forehand/ hard down the line backhand.

5. Murray is a better, more consistent defender than Djokovic(on hard)- He is now faster, fitter and stronger than djokovic without the breathing problems.

6. Murray can come out with "out of nowhere" shots like Federer can (e.g. stretched out wide winners, or incredible defence- shades of the great Federer). This is a sign of a champion player.

#40 ·

murray is a better player than djokovic now, although if ao or toronto djokovic turned up he's a very fine player as well- great weapons, serve and he can play on clay. murray will never be good on clay. djokovic can play on clay. if nadal is injured, djokovic or federer are in the running for the french open, but not murray.

1. murray has a bigger, harder first serve when on and serving at 60-65% (see vs nadal us open, v del potro us open, v federer in madrid , v federer in Dubai, entire St. Pete tournament)

2. Murray is the 2nd best current volleyer on tour after Federer, has great hands, feel and is a natural volleyer.

3. Murray has a great backhand slice. IT is the 2nd best on tour(on hard surfaces), but nadal's slice backhand on clay is the the most suited. Murray's backhand is probably the best on non clay surfaces(Cross court acceleration is amazing, down the line is also amazing control and depth).

4. Murray is a sound tennis tactician and is one of the best on non clay surfaces after Federer(Nalbandian also really good tactician, but is unfit and has a weak serve,. and results are inconsistent on outdoor hard). He can play slice defence, he can do deep slice approach shots, or he can just go for classic karlovic like big serving and big forehand/ hard down the line backhand.

5. Murray is a better, more consistent defender than Djokovic(on hard)- He is now faster, fitter and stronger than djokovic without the breathing problems.

6. Murray can come out with "out of nowhere" shots like Federer can (e.g. stretched out wide winners, or incredible defence- shades of the great Federer). This is a sign of a champion player.
Points 2 and 3 are fangirlism at its finest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.