Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will he return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar

153K views 1K replies 248 participants last post by  Action Jackson 
#1 ·
Toni just gave an interview on Spanish radio. Said:

- Rafa's career is not in any danger. They are just being cautious.
- Rafa would like to play in Rio 2016 and hopes to compete there (again I suppose emphasising this is not some career ending injury). They all want to extend his career as much as possible and to do that they are taking the conservative approach -- "no more patches". (By this I think he is referring to earlier remarks he made about how this year they've just tried to manage injury in a piece meal way by taking time off in Miami etc. but that is not correct. He needs to wait till he is 100%.)
- It is not the same tendinitis as before, but is related to the same issue.
- Toni's been hearing that Nadal's career will be short all his life - but even if he retired now it would not have been a short career as he's played for a decade as a professional - since he was 16.

They also had some doctor on who said Nadal's tendon had degenerated and needed 3 months of rest. Given that he had most of June off, July and now August, maybe a DC return in September is not too far fetched...

Basically, as always, I think the "his career is over" brigade are going a bit far. If anything this sounds like he's learned from past mistakes and is following exactly what the doctors tell him to try and get the most from what remains of his career. Beating any of the other 3 - Andy, Roger, Nole - would have been tough at the US Open - let alone when not at full match fitness and without competitive play. If he was still suffering a bit, then better to be cautious - at this stage he needs to basically try and maximise slam chances.

As a reminder - think of the Nadal we saw at WTF 2011 - listless, passionless, bagelled by Federer. Next major tournament a few months later - few games away from winning the Australian Open. His body will always be an issue but the fire and motivation to me has been a bigger concern - at least that seems to still be there and perhaps be even stronger due to setbacks. Sounds like Rio 2016 might just be the think that keeps him going even if it seems farfetched right now that he'd be competitive in 4 years time. :lol:

See less See more
#1,244 ·
Re: New racket, bigger business for Nadal

shoot, I should have posted this in the Nadal's comeback threads. Mods, please move it although it's also about his new racket, so not sure.
I posted an article about the racquet change in the comeback thread, though it was less detailed and didn't have the other stuff in there.

p.s.: It's "racquet". :)

#1,253 ·
Rafael Nadal played today a practice match against Nicolás Massú and won 6-2 6-2. Then they played one tie break and Nadal won it by 7-4. The trainer of Massú said that if Nadal's knee works well he will win Viña del Mar tournament easily.

So there are reasons to be optimistic. Tomorrow Nadal plays for the first time since Wimbledon (doubles with Pico Mónaco) and Wednesday at 22:00h CET he plays his R16 singles match agains Guido Pella or a qualifier.

#1,255 ·
Glad to see Nadal back in competition. I hope his knee holds up and he adjusts well to his new racquet. I must say the prospect of even greater topspin on that heavy forehand of his is a daunting one for his competitors.

For me he's still favourite for the French Open unless I see a noticeable decline from his former level. That practice match bodes well for him.

#1,262 ·
I just don't get that. Why fedtards shit their pants already? Nadal has not played yet, we have no idea how he will, what form he will be in even for clay season. Plus, it's not like Rafa is the only obstacle for Federer now.

Is it still about the past? You guys have to accept this already, Nadal beat your idol, did not let him win few more GSs, so what? Live with it :zzz:

#1,263 ·
I just don't get that. Why fedtards shit their pants already? Nadal has not played yet, we have no idea how he will, what form he will be in even for clay season. Plus, it's not like Rafa is the only obstacle for Federer now.

Is it still about the past? You guys have to accept this already, Nadal beat your idol, did not let him win few more GSs, so what? Live with it :zzz:
There is a good reason for that. Nadal was the original pioneer who exposed Noserer as fake GOAT. Even rumors of his return and his fangirls are running off to cry into their RF pillows :awww:

#1,270 ·
Wow, Rafa has not yet really started and Fedtards already $hitting their pants like crazy! Absolutely love it!

#1,277 ·
Why do you care so much about Pico's and Rafa's relationship? :shrug:

Oh I know, you're just bitter that Monaco as a lower ranked player doesn't beat Rafa whom you hate so much. That's also why you worshipped that fluke Rosol :tape:

#1,288 ·
Can't believe it's gonna really happen today! Vamos Rafa :) King is back!

#1,290 ·
Where are all the live streamings from the stream hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.