Mens Tennis Forums banner

Andy Roddick Tribute

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Freak3yman84 
#1 ·
Today, Andy Roddick announced he will retire from professional Tennis after the US Open. This is my tribute to him.

Conceived roughly around December 30, 1981(but born August 30, 1982) Andy Roddick had a mission. Although he was just a fetus in his mother's belly, Andy Roddick knew he was going to be a top Tennis player.

Right from the beginning, Andy Roddick's life was set up perfectly to become a Tennis player. He was born in Omaha, Nebraska where all of the top Tennis players come from. Despite the tremendously tough field in GOATbraska Andy Roddick dominated Tennis and destroyed everyone in his path

As a junior, Andy was frustrated as f*ck and considered quitting the game err... I mean sport, of Tennis. But his coach Tarik Benhabiles convinced him not to.

That's right, this guy saved American Tennis.

But enough on that guy... Roddick decided to give Tennis 4 more months. Turns out the dude started owning and then preceded to do the unthinkable. Ducky made his first big impression at the 2003 Australian Open where he defeated hardcourt legend Younes El Aynaoui in the QF's 21-19 in the 5th. Despite not having much left in the tank after that match, Roddick played some inspired Tennis. These highlights should prove that ;)

Of course that was nothing special considering what happened in September of that same year. Roddick had a dream run in his home country, he won the US Open. Seeded 4th, Andy defeated Henman, Ljubicic, Saretta, Malisse, Schalken, and Nalbandian to reach the his first GS final. He was to face Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero for the title. Ferrero knew he had no chance, as he watched the US Open slip away from him as Roddick thrashed him 6–3 7–6(7–2) 6–3. Here's Rodducks winning moment.

Andy Roddick was a legend in the making. Later that November he would reach the Number 1 ranking.

Fast forward about a year. Andy Roddick proved he wasn't a fluke by reaching the finals of Wimbledon. He would play Roger Federer for the title. What proceeded to happen, made Roddick's career never reach its full potential. Andy Roddick was Roger Federer's biach. Federer defeated Rodcock 4-6 7-5 7-6(7-3) 6-4.

Fast forward another year. Andy Roddick once again reached the finals of Wimbledon. He was to face none other than Roger Shankerer. Surely he would get his revenge. Surely he would get the coveted Wimbledon title.

... Okay so maybe Roddick didn't win that time either, but he still had a whole career ahead of him to win that trophy.

2006. Roddick continues his streak of 4 consecutive years in which he reached a GS final. He was trying to retain the US Open, and win it once again. Does anyone want to guess who he faced? Was it some mug who didn't stand a chance against the Omaha Mighty Duck?

Nope.

Well Roddick had met his maker, he just couldn't beat this Federer guy in a GS final. But surely he'll get an opportunity at a GS against someone else!

For the next 3 years, Andy Roddick went into a slump. A major slump. The slumpiest slump that a slumper has ever slumped. It was a bad slump. Get it now?

Andy Roddick had a series of injuries/bad form. He had a bad hamstring as well as a bad knee. He still had minor success, but it was nowhere near his 2003-2006 domination. He triumphed in minor tournaments like Beijing, Dubai, San Jose, Washington, and Queen's. The man known for his huge serve, had practically disappeared.

This 155 mph serve from 2003 has to be shown.

But where had this all gone? What happened to Andy Roddick? Well that'll remain a mystery. But the following year, Andy Roddick the American Tennis legend came back to form.

Roddick showed everyone that he still had it by reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open losing to umm... It'd be best if I didn't mention the guys name anymore... The semi gave Roddick confidence. He then reached the round of 16 at the French Open on clay(the surface from hell) which was his best result there. But then where Roddick had previously shown his magic in 2004 and 2005, Roddick showed equal success and reached the finals of Wimbledon 2009. He was determined, nobody could stop Andy Roddick from winning Wimbledon. He was to face some Swiss mug, surely Roddick would win this time!

Well... That last part was almost true. Roddick had a hard fought battle with Mr. Roger Federer. Roddick had his chances, he played a phenomenal match. But he came up just a little bit short. Federer had prevailed 5–7 7–6(8–6) 7–6(7–5) 3–6 16–14. It was a heart-breaking loss for Andy. Here's highlights from that magical final:

People say that Roddick never recovered from that loss. To this day, he hasn't been back to a grand slam final and therefore he never won the Wimbledon title that eluded him on 3 occasions.

How did Roddick hold up in 2010? Fairly well. He reached the finals of Indian Wells, and then the tournament after that he captured the Miami title defeating Tomas Berdych. Those 2 finals proved to be his last at the Master's 1000 level. Here's Roddick's final Masters triumph.

2011 was not Andy Roddick's year. The old Andy Roddick was nowhere to be found. With a runner-up in Brisbane and a title at Mepmhis, Roddick was simply just another average player. He was nothing special. The only highlight he had that year was this spectacular diving shot. But even that shot was embarassing(see Roddick's head?!)

Roddick was aging. And aging fast. 2012 yielded better results, but it wasn't enough to keep the Roddick train going.

Roddick had a returning hamstring injury at the beginning of the year. That put Roddick's progress on hold until he shocked everybody by defeating the man who thwarted his Wimbledon dream: Roger Federer. Andy Roddick went into the Round of 32 at Miami holding a 2-21 head to head record against Federer. But he exceeded expectations and ended the rivalry between him and Federer with a triumph.

That win would give Roddick confidence. Will he be able to regain his old form? Will he finally win the Wimbledon title?

Roddick then proved he did have a shot at the Wimbledon title by winning the Eastbourne title over Andreas Seppi on grass. Roddick went into Wimbledon with big expectations from everyone. He reached the 3rd round only to lose to David Ferrer. After the match, Roddick showed his first sign of ending it all. He walked out of Wimbledon waving as if it were his last time there...

Everyone chalked it up to being an exaggeration by Roddick, this wasn't his last year. He had plenty left in him. And he did. Roddick won Atlanta during the summer hardcourt season defeating Gilles Muller in the final. Andy Roddick was still a tough customer.

Fast forward a short ways to the 2012 US Open. Roddick was drawn against American qualifier Rhyne Williams. Seeded 20th, a little less than 6 years after reaching the number 1 spot, Andy Roddick won the 1st round 6-3 6-4 6-4. It was a solid win from Roddick. At last we have reached August 30th the day I am writing this. Earlier today Andy Roddick held a press conference. The words that came out of his mouth shocked the Tennis world.

"Alright well thank you all for coming. I'll make this short and sweet. I've decided that this is going to be my last tournament."
Andy Roddick had called it quits. Former US Open champion, former world number 1, Andy Roddick just didn't have enough left in him. While I write this, Roddick is still in the tournament. How well will he do? Only time will tell.

But don't feel bad for Andy. He's had an amazing career, and he's got a lot still ahead of him. Like this...

We'll miss you Andy :sobbing: Enjoy the rest of your life!
Credits go to viruzzz who has served as a big inspiration in me writing this.
Hope you all enjoyed this!
P.S. Where I may sound pretty mean, I'm just being sarcastic :p

See less See more
7 6
#4 ·
:lol:

Good stuff :)

#6 ·
I will always remember the way Andy looked while holding the U.S.O. Trophy back in 2003. I'm sure at the time he thought that was the first of other Slams to come, but it didn't work out that way! A great tribute to Andy--thank you for posting it :D

#7 ·
Good thread, wrong forum.

#10 ·
Yeah I always mix up non-tennis and off topic :eek:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

#11 ·
Mods can you please move this to off-topic? :wavey:

#12 ·
Wasn't sure whether you were making fun of Andy or paying him a tribute, mate.

#13 ·
It's all in good fun ;) Read the very end of it.

#15 ·
Andy :worship:

Very funny and a good tribute, Freakyman :wavey:

Reactions: Freak3yman84
#18 ·
It means a lot coming from the guy who inspired me to make this ;) I'll see if I can do these more often!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.